Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, rotating my tires tomorrow and was a little unsure of this with the awd. On my rear wheel drive cars I always moved the backs forward and crossed the fronts to the back.

Was wondering on the awd, do I now go left front to right back, then right front to left back, like a X pattern.

Thanks for the help

Rich

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,112 Posts
I've always heard that AWD rotation was the same as RWD. Assuming you have non directional tires

But the Tire industry Association recommends what several other sources say. What's called the Double X method

A Guy

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I've always heard that AWD rotation was the same as RWD. Assuming you have non directional tires

But the Tire industry Association recommends what several other sources say. What's called the Double X method

A Guy
I'll confirm that. I've had 1/2 dozen AWD vehicles (Astro, Safari, Town&Country, CRV, Ridgeline, Pilot) and rotation is same as RWD. Only FWD is backwards (front to back and backs crossed to front).

·
Registered
463 Posts
The owners manual says rearward cross method. No difference for awd, so I would assume it is the same.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owners manual says rearward cross method. No difference for awd, so I would assume it is the same.
Thanks pallen, caught that after double checking the manual, would have been easier if they would spell it out for the GT. Did it the regular rear wheel drive way, took 20 minutes, the only bad part, took 40 minutes to figure how to get that scissors jack back together to go into the trunk. After seeing how that dounut wheel goes on the car.............im thinking I"ll just have the car towed home.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help............I said to ma ma, how about cleaning out those wheelwells while I'm doing this.........im shocked she said ok. LOL

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
The majority of the time the Charger and Challenger AWD's are rear wheel drives.

I've never seen any logic as to why it's recommended differently whether it be a RWD or a FWD.
I believe the important thing is to rotate them such that each tire gets placed on each of the 4 locations(if doable), in a pattern that is applied consistently. Since the biggest difference in tire wear is typically front vs rear, each rotation should include front to rear.
So does anyone know a reason for the different recommended rotations between a front wheel drive and a rear wheel drive vehicle?

In the good old days, I used to look at the tires on a regular basis, looking for any abnormal wear. Then possibly rotate as I saw fit. That gave me the advantage of potentially finding I needed an alignment correction a lot sooner then you would by always rotating your tires.

I rotate my tires now, however.0:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks pallen, caught that after double checking the manual, would have been easier if they would spell it out for the GT. Did it the regular rear wheel drive way, took 20 minutes, the only bad part, took 40 minutes to figure how to get that scissors jack back together to go into the trunk. After seeing how that dounut wheel goes on the car.............im thinking I"ll just have the car towed home.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help............I said to ma ma, how about cleaning out those wheelwells while I'm doing this.........im shocked she said ok. LOL

Rich
Glad to help. I learned something too, I didn't know about the rearward cross method they recommend on these cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts