Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for some of the experienced autocross/track day members. Should you use the 305's for track days, or up-size to 315's? Is the added contact patch worth the loss in turn-in? Inquiring mind wants to know...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've had good results with 285/35 Continental Extreme Contact Sport Plus on all fours with my 9.5" OE wheels. Good quality rubber pays off more than just wider. If you are trying to stuff a wide tire on an undersized wheel, you're not gaining much anyway since the contact patch is still similar to a narrower tire designed to fit. When I lowered my car and went from OE Pirelli summer tires to the Conti's, I took 5 seconds off my personal best time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I thought my signature would show up on the initial post, sorry about that. I'm on a scat pack widebody, so the stock size are 305. I can easily put 315's on, but wasn't sure it it would really benefit me.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I think that's one of those things where the particular tire you go with matters more than the 10mm section width. How much rubber actually contacts the ground varies by tire anyway, even in the same size. What tire are you considering?

·
Vendor
25 Posts
I've had good results with 285/35 Continental Extreme Contact Sport Plus on all fours with my 9.5" OE wheels. Good quality rubber pays off more than just wider. If you are trying to stuff a wide tire on an undersized wheel, you're not gaining much anyway since the contact patch is still similar to a narrower tire designed to fit. When I lowered my car and went from OE Pirelli summer tires to the Conti's, I took 5 seconds off my personal best time.

+1. Wider doesn't necessarily mean more grip. The tire itself will play a bigger role than the width.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was considering the purchase of the Toyo888, but honestly, I'm open to recommendations. Texas heat... so no consideration needed for cold weather.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
For the budget minded, the firehawk indy 500 seems like a great tire. My alignment guy who has an E92 BMW racecar recommended those tires for my next set and im gonna go for it. Has really good reviews online too up against some top competing tires.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Edited out

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I was considering the purchase of the Toyo888, but honestly, I'm open to recommendations. Texas heat... so no consideration needed for cold weather.
If you're looking for a good autocross tire the top 2 are the Bridgestone RE71 and BFG Rival S

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts