Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to attend some track days next year and want to get some new tires on my stock srt wheels.

I'd like to get some 315-35 for the rear and 275-40 on the front in Nitto nt05's.
If 315's dont work out on the stock wheels then I may end up changing to different wheels with 20x10 rears. Still not sure if I want to get new wheels, however.

If thats not a smart idea then I was thinking maybe 255-45's on all fours.
Your guys's advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the setup you are talking about, 275- 40-20 (Nitto Innvos) on the front. and 351-35-20's (Nitto NT05 DR) on the rear.

Since I'm not seeing as much track time as the original owner did with the wheels, I'm just waiting for new 351 (Innvos) to come in so I can swap them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the setup you are talking about, 275- 40-20 (Nitto Innvos) on the front. and 351-35-20's (Nitto NT05 DR) on the rear.

Since I'm not seeing as much track time as the original owner did with the wheels, I'm just waiting for new 351 (Innvos) to come in so I can swap them out.
Were they used for drag racing? I should have mentioned in my first post that I meant for road course not drag racing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
315's on the stock Alcoas? Yeah...that would not only be unsafe...but impossible to mount ROFL! Your gonna want X10's at least to mount that tire.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Banned
863 Posts
315 Nittos are not impossible to mount on the SRT wheel. Nittos run small...thats why.
Try another brand and you may have trouble. the 315 nittos look like a 295 compared to most other brands IMO.

·
Registered
711 Posts
the rears are DR's, but are getting changed over as I'm not doing too much drag racing, but I'm swapping mine over to innvo's for the rear.

the NTo5's will be a good course tire.

·
Banned
642 Posts
the rears are DR's, but are getting changed over as I'm not doing too much drag racing, but I'm swapping mine over to innvo's for the rear.

the NTo5's will be a good course tire.
What is the offset and width of your front and rear wheels? I may also be changing to wider rubber and different wheels in the spring and like your setup / look.

·
Registered
334 Posts
WOW! Talk about bulging sidewalls

Their site says 10.5" at least, what are the Alcoa's? 9"?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wonder if the 275's will fit on the Chrome clads with no issues. The should, its not a huge stretch.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I wonder if the 275's will fit on the Chrome clads with no issues. The should, its not a huge stretch.
i've been looking into doing this myself for a while now, and from what i've gathered on these forums is that it will fit on the chrome clads which are 20x8 rims.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
For your application you should be able to run 275/40/20 on all 4 corners I would suggest a 9" rime but the chrome clads are 8.5" so you could go that route and the 275 is a 28.62" diameter in the nitto NT05 when you hit auto cross or a road course it's nice to have the bigger meat up front as these girls do have a little weight and the bigger footprint will help. :)

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Jeff, your avatar just put me in a christmass mood. cool.
I have the nitto 305x35 on the chrome clad 20s and thats it IMO. not buldging. Any more I think would get unsafe, taking a chance of the bead rolling under the rim lip and its INSTANT flat, no air. Happened to me with drag slicks half track years ago.
Got sideways and almost got me into the wall. I was leaving on a brake @ 5000rpm
Too small a rim for the slicks. Learned my lesson.
Good Luck :) FlatTop

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
my mistake...i thought they were 20x8s.

we can run 275s up front too on stock chrome clads? i'm not lowered or anything, so i was wondering about that. i would like to be able to rotate the tires cause i was under the impression that i could only use that width in the back.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have Nitto 555DR 305/35/20 stock SRT rims no bulging no problems other than they are so sticky they pick up everything like the pine straw in my drive.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
my mistake...i thought they were 20x8s.

we can run 275s up front too on stock chrome clads? i'm not lowered or anything, so i was wondering about that. i would like to be able to rotate the tires cause i was under the impression that i could only use that width in the back.
yes with the factory clads you can run the 275/40/20 on all four corners and be able to rotate front to back with the NT05 it is a directional tire, but you can always get into the P-Zero or similar and do the normal rotation.
Being stock height you won't have any issues and being that the stock 20's height the diameter is 28.62" same as the 275 :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
yes with the factory clads you can run the 275/40/20 on all four corners and be able to rotate front to back with the NT05 it is a directional tire, but you can always get into the P-Zero or similar and do the normal rotation.
Being stock height you won't have any issues and being that the stock 20's height the diameter is 28.62" same as the 275 :)
ok, cool. good to know for sure!

i've also been hearing a lot of good things about the Toyo Proxes 4 in the 275/40-20 size as well. i know they are an all season street tire, but there are a bunch of guys on the lxforums saying how well those tires bite for straight line acceleration and have lowered their 60' times dramatically, almost as much as a drag radial. thats really all i'm worried about because 90% of my driving will be on the street in the summer on dry days, but plan on going to the drag strip again more this summer than this past. and those proxes are less expensive than the NT05s, so i just may do the 275's in all four corners with those....

my mind switches gears on tires almost every other week!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
ok, cool. good to know for sure!

i've also been hearing a lot of good things about the Toyo Proxes 4 in the 275/40-20 size as well. i know they are an all season street tire, but there are a bunch of guys on the lxforums saying how well those tires bite for straight line acceleration and have lowered their 60' times dramatically, almost as much as a drag radial. thats really all i'm worried about because 90% of my driving will be on the street in the summer on dry days, but plan on going to the drag strip again more this summer than this past. and those proxes are less expensive than the NT05s, so i just may do the 275's in all four corners with those....

my mind switches gears on tires almost every other week!
I run a 325-22 Toyo Proxes on the back of my SRT10 Ram and tried them at Emerald Coast Dragway last year at the Panama City Beach GTG, and couldn't stop them from spinning. Tried 40psi, 35psi, down to 20psi, have an auto tranny in the SRT10, best launch was running her up to 2000rpm with 35-40psi, releasing the brakes, then slowly rolling into the throttle. Anything more and they would spin. In my mind, they were no better than Pirelli P-Zeros for traction at a prepped track.

Take that for what its worth..

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I run a 325-22 Toyo Proxes on the back of my SRT10 Ram and tried them at Emerald Coast Dragway last year at the Panama City Beach GTG, and couldn't stop them from spinning. Tried 40psi, 35psi, down to 20psi, have an auto tranny in the SRT10, best launch was running her up to 2000rpm with 35-40psi, releasing the brakes, then slowly rolling into the throttle. Anything more and they would spin. In my mind, they were no better than Pirelli P-Zeros for traction at a prepped track.

Take that for what its worth..

ok, thanks for the info...so you are saying i should just stick with getting nitto NT05s? I thought the P-Zeros were supposed to be decent?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts