Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, 1 month to go before I take the Challenger out of it's winter sleep.
God I can't wait.

I have a quick question before I get new tires though, your input would be greatly appreciated.

I have the stock 20 inch rims.
Can I load up 275/40R20 on them?
Will there be nasty surprises when I drive around and hit a track?

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've seen an R/T with 295/35/22's, he said it was bumpier than stock, but I imagine that would be from the small sidewall.

I think the problem you will run into is the fronts, I'm pretty sure the 275's will work, but I don't think you can get anything larger.

I'm interested in hearing more input as we want to get some nice fat tires for our R/T too :D

I believe we are aiming for 295 or 285/45/20's in the rear, not sure about fronts but probably in the 265 or 275/45/20's range :)

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
With the stock chrome clad rims i wouldn't push much beyond a 255/40/20 although somebody did do a 265/50/20 on all 4's if your looking to go to a 275/40/20 you should have a 9" rim :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the rims would be a problem :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm currently running 275/40/20 winter tires on my factory rims. No scraps, put not much clearence on the front.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi everyone, 1 month to go before I take the Challenger out of it's winter sleep.
God I can't wait.

I have a quick question before I get new tires though, your input would be greatly appreciated.

I have the stock 20 inch rims.
Can I load up 275/40R20 on them?
Will there be nasty surprises when I drive around and hit a track?

Thanks very much in advance.
The optimal size wheel for a 275/40R20 tire is 10 inches.Check out the following link.Scroll down to the tools menu on the left side of the page and click on 'Size Comparer'.Enter the OEM tire & wheel size on the left and the new tire & wheel size on the right and view the info, as you scroll down.This should answer most sizing questions.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I will be putting on 245/45R20 tires with 8.5" wheels on the front and 275/40R20 tires with 10" wheels on the rear.These tire sizes will keep the front & rear tire heights the same at 28.7".The offset will be +14mm for all wheels which will give more than the stock wheel clearance and bring the tires out 0.6" in the front and 0.9" in the rear.The rear tires will be flush with the cars body.My stock tire size is 235/55R18 on 8" wheels with a +24mm offset.

Also,a smaller wheel offset will make the tire protrude to the outside the the wheel well towards the body and a larger wheel offset number will push the tire closer to the suspension components within the wheel well.Brake size will also determine what offset will work.

Everything I have read so far states that the wider you go in the front the more 'wandering' you will experience when driving.A 245mm wide tire seems to be the best if you want the steering/handling to remain unchanged.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
...I believe we are aiming for 295 or 285/45/20's in the rear, not sure about fronts but probably in the 265 or 275/45/20's range :)
The 295's fit nicely under the rear. I had a little rub when it was on the jackstands but once it was down it was fine. Rears are 295/40/20's on 20x10 wheels. I stayed with the 245/45/20 on the fronts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The optimal size wheel for a 275/40R20 tire is 10 inches.Check out the following link.Scroll down to the tools menu on the left side of the page and click on 'Size Comparer'.Enter the OEM tire & wheel size on the left and the new tire & wheel size on the right and view the info, as you scroll down.This should answer most sizing questions.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I will be putting on 245/45R20 tires with 8.5" wheels on the front and 275/40R20 tires with 10" wheels on the rear.These tire sizes will keep the front & rear tire heights the same at 28.7".The offset will be +14mm for all wheels which will give more than the stock wheel clearance and bring the tires out 0.6" in the front and 0.9" in the rear.The rear tires will be flush with the cars body.My stock tire size is 235/55R18 on 8" wheels with a +24mm offset.

Also,a smaller wheel offset will make the tire protrude to the outside the the wheel well towards the body and a larger wheel offset number will push the tire closer to the suspension components within the wheel well.Brake size will also determine what offset will work.

Everything I have read so far states that the wider you go in the front the more 'wandering' you will experience when driving.A 245mm wide tire seems to be the best if you want the steering/handling to remain unchanged.
Good stuff, thanks

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I know you didn't buy your challenger for gas mileage, but I put 22in rims on my previous SRT8 Charger, low profile, very wide (can't remember the size), and it absolutely killed my gas mileage. I'm talking at least 4-5 mpg.
Just something to think about... :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I have a stock 2014 challenger RT, chrome rims, not sure if they are 8, or 8.5"
Currently have the stock 245/45 20" on all 4.
For back only, and keeping stock rims, how wide can I go without bowing?
Thanks AJ?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
275 40zr20's will fit just fine on the factory Heritage style rims found on Classic RT's, at least in the rear. I got a set of 275 Nitto Motivo's for the rear, and a set of 245 motivo's for the front. Fit is great, no side bulge on the rears, look just as good as a set of 245s do.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think they are 8.5, not really sure though without looking it up. I know they aren't 9 inches though, which is what i would have preferred for a 275 tire. I do know that Nitto's tend to run slightly narrow for the size and tend to fit on skinnier rims. I know that the 315 35 tires used to fit on the factory 9 inch svt cobra rims just fine. I wouldn't try to squeeze them on the heritage rims though. I have a set of them on my 69 charger and they'd be too wide for the classic rims.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just put 275/40's on stock 20"x8" stock chrome clads in rear and 245/45's on front, toyo proxes 4, car does not get raced or tracked though, but happy with setup

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Hi,

I know I've asked this before but I need to be sure, cause I'm buying them tomorrow. I have a 2014 Challenger RT, with the stock rims on it, 20 inch. (still not clear if its 8" , 8.5 or 9" wide wheel)

http://www.aanning.com/1/RTWheel.jpg

Currently I have 245/45/20 on it - all 4, Tomorrow going to put on (or try)
275/40/20 on it.

Will these fit on the stock rims without issue?

thanks AJ

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Nitto Motivo's will fit the stock 20 inch RT rim in 275/40/20, at least in the rear, didn't try them in the front, put 245s up front.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts