Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered Eibach Pro Line springs for my 2017 Challenger R/T, and I'm looking to buy wheels and tires next. I'd like to go wider, and I'm considering a staggered setup. I'm looking at some Giovanna Haleb rims in 20x9 and 20x10.5. I would like to keep the tire diameter close to stock, for speedo calibration and gear ratio purposes. I want to make sure there's no rubbing, I don't want them to stick out too funny, and most importantly, I don't want to do anything that would require special or careful driving techniques for the days that my wife is behind the wheel. It looks like 275/40 will fit the front, can I fit 315/35 on the rear? Should I stick with 245/45 front and 275/40 rear? Help!

·
Registered
588 Posts
The things that you have to also consider is the offset of the wheels and the width of the tires you want to buy. After spending time on this forum as well as the hellcat forum, not all tires have the same contact patch even though they are marketed the same size.

I have Eibach Sport spring on my RT and run factory reproduction hellcat replica wheels.

The fronts are 9.5" wide, offset +15, with 275/40/20 tires.
The rears are 10.5" wide, offset +25, with 305/35/20 tires.

Tire brand is BFGoodrich Comp 2 A/S. I've seen others run the same wheels with other brand tires and have a different look to the way it sits on the wheel.

BTW, got no rubbing at all and I believe the speedo is only off by .6 at 60 mph

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
If you go with the "old school" staggered set up, my preference- 245/45-20 (front) and 275/40-20 (rear)- you should consider the new American-made, Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Ultra High Performance All Season tires. They are highly rated and are relatively inexpensive for such a quality tire. Their wear/performance rating is excellent at 500 AAA. As a bonus, Cooper is offering a $100 rebate on 4 tires, from April 1 to May 31, 2018. You can't beat this deal. I will be ordering mine next month to replace my Goodyear RS-A tires. (Note- The 275/40-20 is the widest size that they make).

Tire Rack has them for $650.42 less $100 rebate= $550.42 (plus shipping).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Zeon+RS3-G1&width=275%2F&ratio=40&diameter=20&partnum=74WR0RS3G1XL#RatingsReviews

You can mount a 275/40-20 tire on a 9 inch wide wheel. If you buy a 10.5 wide wheel, make sure that you have the proper positive offset for tire clearance.

Also, if anyone needs new pre-programmed TPMS sensors (they last only about 5 years or 100,000 miles), the best price that I have found is $29 each for Redi-sensors (see link, below).

Many TPMS sensors available require special programming, with a diagnostic tool like a StarScan or Bartec, to work with your car. Shops, typically charge about $3-5 per sensor for this service.

However, I discovered that Redi-sensors, made by VDO, are pre-programmed and only require relearning. Once all of the tires are properly inflated, all you have to do is to drive your Challenger for at least 10 minutes, while maintaining speed above 15 mph, in order for the system to learn the new sensor IDs. Can anything be more simple?

They can be purchased at:

https://www.blazenauto.com/store/8a...10004A_REDI_Sensor_43392_MHz_TPMS_Sensor.html

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the info! It sounds like I’ll have fewer potential fit issues if I go 245/275, which I assumed, of course. Next question is on a bone stock Challenger R/T 5.7, am I really putting enough power to the ground to need anything bigger than that? Will I actually benefit much from the added traction of going 275/305 or 315? I love the idea and look of the wider tires, but I will have probably worn these out by the time I can afford a significant power upgrade.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it also looks like the Giovannas I wanted may only come in a 35mm offset on the 20x9, and a 45mm offset in the 20x10.5. will this sit the wheels too far in? can I safely correct this with some 20mm spacers?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for all the info! It sounds like I’ll have fewer potential fit issues if I go 245/275, which I assumed, of course. Next question is on a bone stock Challenger R/T 5.7, am I really putting enough power to the ground to need anything bigger than that? Will I actually benefit much from the added traction of going 275/305 or 315? I love the idea and look of the wider tires, but I will have probably worn these out by the time I can afford a significant power upgrade.
On my stock 20s with Firestone tires, I could easily burnout in first gear and chirp the tires thru 2nd and 3rd gear. Now with the 305s in the back, the car launches better.....with more authority and less tire squeal. Could also be the brand of tire making the difference but everyone I talked to say they have gotten better launches with a wider tire.

If you talk to the Scat Pack and Hellcat guys, they will all tell you that these cars need more rubber to hook and go.

For me, one of the main reasons I did it was because I love the look of a bigger tire on these big cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Ok, it also looks like the Giovannas I wanted may only come in a 35mm offset on the 20x9, and a 45mm offset in the 20x10.5. will this sit the wheels too far in? can I safely correct this with some 20mm spacers?
The proper offset would be 20X9 +15 and 20X10.5 +25. I wouldn't use spacers. There are a lot of great looking wheels available. Find ones that fit.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts
Manufacturers like Giovannas aren't targeting the Challenger crowd. I'm sure there are similar looking wheels that will come on the proper bolt pattern and offset. A Guy

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Got my wheels and tires ordered! Discount is ordering me the Giovanna’s. He called his distributor, and they custom drill and cut them for whatever bolt pattern and offset you need. So I was able to order 20x9 w/15mm offset and 20x10.5 w/25mm offset. No spacers or firmest issues, hopefully! I’m also getting Nitto Motivo tires in 275/45 and 315/35.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Got my wheels and tires ordered! Discount is ordering me the Giovanna’s. He called his distributor, and they custom drill and cut them for whatever bolt pattern and offset you need. So I was able to order 20x9 w/15mm offset and 20x10.5 w/25mm offset. No spacers or firmest issues, hopefully! I’m also getting Nitto Motivo tires in 275/45 and 315/35.
You should be good. You'll have a really nice looking wheel/tire set up. Are you installing mud flaps or 3M protective film to protect your rear fender paint from chips?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! They should arrive in a couple weeks. I’ll be sure to post pics. I hadn’t thought about paint protection, but it makes sense with the wider tires. I can’t stand the look of mud flaps, so I’ll probably look into the 3M film. I use it a lot at the body shop. Where are the worst areas? Bottom of the rear bumper? Low on the quarter panels?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts