Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm sure this has been asked before ad nauseum but I've found conflicting information:I was looking to finally get rid of the crap 245 stock Goodyear's that came with my Scat Pack before they get me into an accident, but wanted to know what is the largest tire size I can put on the stock 20x9 lightweight Mopar wheels.

I was looking to go 27540R20 all around but was told on tire rack the highest I could go is 265. In addition, I was leaning towards either the Indy 500 all season or summer tires and was curious to see what others' experience has been with those, or if anyone had any other better tire recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yep, you'll need a 9.5" wheel for 275's to technically fit. That's not to say that people don't do 275's but just not a mfg'r recommended mounting. Most national tire companies will not install a tire that's not listed as an approved fit. Here's my fav. go-to tire guide https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I have an SRT that came stock with 9.5" and 275 Pirelli's...not a big fan after trying both the All Season and Summer tires. I've bumped up to 285/35 Conti. Extreme Sports and am, so fa,r really pleased with them.

Many of my Challenger friends can't say enough good things about Aturo tires. Excellent bang for the buck they say. There are a few reviews of them on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
275 is largest width recommended on a 9” wheel. People have run up to 315’s on the oem 9” , but there isn’t the greatest benefit compared to a 10.5” wheel or wider so you’re better off with the 275, 285/295 at the very most. This will change by opinion for everyone of course.
The atturo az850’s are a very good tire and fairly soft compound for the money. If you don’t want a good budget tire ^, and want to grip and go, I’d skip the conti’s and go with Michelin PS4S or a set of drag radials for the rear. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies all the information, all - I appreciate it!

Has anyone else had any issue getting 275's installed on the 20x9 rims if they're technically not the recommended manufacturer size?

Also, should probably mention I'm likely going to be moving to the PNW in 2 months. Based on the temps up there, would it even be worth getting the summer tire or sticking to an all-season?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Someone a while ago posted a great picture of tire wear that occurs when your rim isnt wide enough, but as far as safety you should be ok with the 275’s. More that the width, ide worry about tire brand/compound. Ive had good luck with the goodyear asym 3 eagle F1’s. Great sticky tires that i ran on my 22’s for a year. Now im using the nitto nt555. Decent rain performance and pretty good dry stickiness

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey all, I'm sure this has been asked before ad nauseum but I've found conflicting information:I was looking to finally get rid of the crap 245 stock Goodyear's that came with my Scat Pack before they get me into an accident, but wanted to know what is the largest tire size I can put on the stock 20x9 lightweight Mopar wheels.

I was looking to go 27540R20 all around but was told on tire rack the highest I could go is 265. In addition, I was leaning towards either the Indy 500 all season or summer tires and was curious to see what others' experience has been with those, or if anyone had any other better tire recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
On my old SRT8 I was running Conti DSW06's 255-45 x 20 front and 275-45 x 20 rear. It filled the wheel nicely and gave it a nice stance.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are there actual fitment issues with the 275s in front though? I read so many conflicting things on this. Happened to talk to a guy at tirerack.com as well one time who claimed to have helped people with their Challengers and personally recommended sticking to the 245s in front or, at largest, 255s. The rear sounded like the 275s is a non-issue.

I just want to avoid any rubbing on the front... so any confirmation on this would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are there actual fitment issues with the 275s in front though? I read so many conflicting things on this. Happened to talk to a guy at tirerack.com as well one time who claimed to have helped people with their Challengers and personally recommended sticking to the 245s in front or, at largest, 255s. The rear sounded like the 275s is a non-issue.

I just want to avoid any rubbing on the front... so any confirmation on this would be appreciated. Thank you!
On my 2010 R/T with 8" Rims, I have put the 275 all 4 corners with no rub. I will post a thread when I have used them up a bit more and know the tread wear(I just had them mounted 3/13).

·
Registered
116 Posts
RT shaker here.
245/45/20 front
275/40/20 rear
9" stock wheels, 275 is the max width recommend with 9" rim

This combination is exactly the same tire height/diameter as long as they are the same brand/model tire.

BFG comp 2/G force all seasons 103Y/106Y rated (much better in the rain than the stock F1 summer tires)
I run 36 lbs front and 30 lbs rear. I know the door jam says 32 psi but the front is heavier and the rear lighter and weight spread over a bigger contact patch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RT shaker here.
245/45/20 front
275/40/20 rear
9" stock wheels, 275 is the max width recommend with 9" rim

This combination is exactly the same tire height/diameter as long as they are the same brand/model tire.

BFG comp 2/G force all seasons 103Y/106Y rated (much better in the rain than the stock F1 summer tires)
I run 36 lbs front and 30 lbs rear. I know the door jam says 32 psi but the front is heavier and the rear lighter and weight spread over a bigger contact patch.
Thank you. This is basically what I have been looking at - possibly with the Michelins though.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

None on +2015s as far as I know.

I have 275s all around and no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
None on +2015s as far as I know.

I have 275s all around and no issues.
Yeah, I have a 2015 SP but I have heard issues with the 275s in front when reading some threads on the stock 9" wheels. Tires can be tricky so I am trying my best to be absolutely cautious before purchasing - especially given the cost.

Thank you!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Yeah, I have a 2015 SP but I have heard issues with the 275s in front when reading some threads on the stock 9" wheels. Tires can be tricky so I am trying my best to be absolutely cautious before purchasing - especially given the cost.

Thank you!
Can you post said threads? I haven't see any.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you post said threads? I haven't see any.
A couple of different older threads that I haven't saved up to this point - I think on some of the other Challenger forums, too. I will try to find them. But as I noted with tirerack.com, they said there are fitment issues with 275s in front but I think this might just be that it leaves their recommended tire size for the front.

I have been looking into this for a year+ but never posted about it until now as I wanted to focus first on other suspension stuff before getting new tires.

*EDIT*
Here is one other thread - nothing concrete in here but just speaks to some concerns about clearance:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f322/will-275-40-20-s-fit-front-back-504938/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts