Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 5.7
So far I have added CAI, 2.5 in magnaflow exhaust & Diablo tuner. Will be putting JBA shorty’s on next.
After that, intake & cam.
So my question is what size tire does everyone run after doing mod’s?
Wanting it to hook etc
Anyone swap tires out for drag radials when racing?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Tire size often dictated by rim size. many guys have fit a 305 on the rear running 10.5" - 11" wheel.
Youll need to get the offset right, so they dont bulge outside the body line. In my R/T I fit a 20x10 Axis II wheel, and ran 275 rear with zero issues. That tire size is also oem for standard body hellcats.
Alot of the more strip/street racing guys will move to a 17" or 18" wheel, particularly for strip runs for better DR selection and the benefits of a non low profile tire.
As for tires, thats a debate that will go on forever. Nitto's seem to make the top of the list for a good street/strip tire...there are of course many, many others, just depends on what all is important to you, tread life, corner grip, wet/dry, lateral traction..etc.
For me, I needed to factor in the chance of getting caught in wet weather at any time, so a true drag radial was pretty much off the table. Plus mileage lifespan sucks on most of them. I had "decent" perf & life out of the firestone indy 500 series, although when too cold, the compound is like a hockey puck. On my hellcat, I swapped immediately to Bridgestone Potenza's and really couldnt ask for more for a street tire given the HP.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tire size often dictated by rim size. many guys have fit a 305 on the rear running 10.5" - 11" wheel.
Youll need to get the offset right, so they dont bulge outside the body line. In my R/T I fit a 20x10 Axis II wheel, and ran 275 rear with zero issues. That tire size is also oem for standard body hellcats.
Alot of the more strip/street racing guys will move to a 17" or 18" wheel, particularly for strip runs for better DR selection and the benefits of a non low profile tire.
As for tires, thats a debate that will go on forever. Nitto's seem to make the top of the list for a good street/strip tire...there are of course many, many others, just depends on what all is important to you, tread life, corner grip, wet/dry, lateral traction..etc.
For me, I needed to factor in the chance of getting caught in wet weather at any time, so a true drag radial was pretty much off the table. Plus mileage lifespan sucks on most of them. I had "decent" perf & life out of the firestone indy 500 series, although when too cold, the compound is like a hockey puck. On my hellcat, I swapped immediately to Bridgestone Potenza's and really couldnt ask for more for a street tire given the HP.
So, you'd buy a Japanese Nitto tire for an American muscle car of this caliber?

·
Registered
115 Posts
So, you'd buy a Japanese Nitto tire for an American muscle car of this caliber?
WTH does it matter where the tires are made? Your Challenger engine came from Mexico & the car probably got built in Canada. Dodge is not MADE in the USA...it might, maybe, be assembled here but I'd bet at least 60% of the parts come from some other country. WHAT does matter is traction, cost, tread life, etc.

·
Super Moderator
14,048 Posts
You're correct. Challengers are not American-made. They are assembled in Brampton, Ontario. Also, Dodge is owned by Fiat (FCA).

·
Registered
55 Posts
WTH does it matter where the tires are made? Your Challenger engine came from Mexico & the car probably got built in Canada. Dodge is not MADE in the USA...it might, maybe, be assembled here but I'd bet at least 60% of the parts come from some other country. WHAT does matter is traction, cost, tread life, etc.
I think it matters when there are American made tire choices out there instead of going with cheap Jap tires for this American icon of a car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Cheap Jap tires? Wow. Do you realize that the Nitto NT05 and 555 are in the top tier of tires you can buy? In fact, the demon came stock with NT05R drag radials from the factory. Not to mention the fact that the Scat 1320 comes with Nexen SUR4G drag radials, which are made in South Korea. Oh, and the Perelli’s that come on a lot of American cars, including Challengers? They’re an Italian company and could be made in the US, Milan, Brazil, or Mexico. Michelin (which is based in France and makes the incredible Pilot Cup Sport) produces tires in France, Poland, Spain, Germany, the USA, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, India, Italy and several other countries. Bridgestone is Japanese, too. While there may be many good tires from American manufacturers (BFG and Mickey Thompson come to mind), they are not the end-all, be-all of tire quality and design. I will happily shop any manufacturer that offers a quality tire at a competitive price and meets my driving needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let's stay on topic...

I also pretty curous about tire size. Assuming the 5.7 and the 3.6 have the same options for tire fitments but could be wrong.

Andy you considering staggered tires? How big in the front and how big in the back?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don’t know if the R/T 5.7 came with 18” or 20” wheels in 2010? If it came with 18”, are you considering a wheel change to 20” as well? 245/45r20 or 275/40r20 are both factory sizes, and will fit any of the lesser models, as long as the right wheels are used. If you want to go to a 275, it’s recommended to go to a 9.5” wide wheel. With the OP’s expected mods, I would recommend at least a 275 width tire on the rear, with an appropriately sized wheel. With good, sticky street tires, you shouldn’t have too many traction problems. If you do much track racing, a 17” or 18” set of drag radials for the rear would make sense once you get your cam and other work done.

·
Registered
115 Posts
2016 Black Top w/20x8" & I just put 275/40-20 Hankook Ventus on rear & they fit just fine...anything wider would need wider rims.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,727 Posts
Narrowest wheels suggested for 275s are 9". Can you fit a 275 on an 8"? Sure, but it's wider than recommended. Just FYI

A Guy

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,608 Posts
My wheels are staggered, and I run Nitto 555G2 295/45-18s on the rear and Nitto Motivo 245/55-18s in front.

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nittos are trash in my opinion... dont hook for anything on the street and on the strip they are subpar.
Mickey Thompsons are all I run after trying M&H and nittos. 28” tall Street Rs originally on a 17” wheel. Now with a 15” wheel conversion, still a 28” tire on my nitrous challenger.
17” setup with street ss tires on my charger.
Both daily driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,048 Posts
Narrowest wheels suggested for 275s are 9". Can you fit a 275 on an 8"? Sure, but it's wider than recommended. Just FYI
A Guy
Exactly. A 275 tire on an 8-inch wheel will not wear or perform properly. Also, it could be dangerous. Look at the center image of the following tire fitment diagram.

Tire Fitment.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
All,
Back in the day we used to put G60's (11" wide) tires on 7"~9" rims & no one ever died. Ever.
None, or hardly none, of us take corners at 150mph and I really would rather scrape a tire than curb rash a rim. A 'Recommended' 9" rim, yes, required or unsafe...NOT really. A 245/45 is 9.6" wide, a 275/40 is 10.8"...a whole 0.6" wider.per side. See the pictures I just took & bare in mind Discount Tire is pretty picky about what rims/tires they will mount (@ least here in Colorado) so they don't get liability issues/sued. It looks, to me at least, that the 245's on the front & the 275's on the rear are just about equal on how much 'bulge' over the rim edges these have...maybe that the Hankooks on the back are different than other brands, but I certainly ain't worried about being unsafe...I'm 63 & know damn well I CAN die & am not really willing to expedite that fact. A-guy & others: thanks for caring, it is appreciated & I mean no disrespect.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The other issue no one has brought up is that running a tire that is too wide causes the tread surface to round over, instead of being nice and flat. What happens is you lose some of the potential traction you would have gained by going to a wider tire.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tried dropping the pressure of the 275's to 29PSI & the 'brilliant' computer WAAAAAHHHHHHed that 'Tire Pressure Too Low', hence current pressure, but I've only got 400 miles on these tires so far so not sure as to wear. I did chalk them & they seem about right as to patch vs width so we'll see

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,727 Posts
Anyone can do what they want, and I'm not saying a 275 on an 8" wheel will ever be a problem, but we're always going to give all the info we can so anyone reading can make an informed choice. So yes, you can put a 275 on an 8" rim, and may never have an issue, but it's not recommended by the manufacturers, and that's also info to base a decision on

A Guy

·
Registered
661 Posts
I would never put a 275 on an 8" wheel.

Reactions: Gila Hemi
1 - 20 of 28 Posts