Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a new set of wheels, new tires and new sensors installed about a month ago by a local shop. The setup was bought from Tirerack. I paid anywhere between 250.00-300.00 in labor to have these installed/ balanced, mounted and aligned by this shop.

We had some cold nights where we lost some pressure. I had put a bit of air in the "supposed" tire that the indicator came up blinking on. Well come to find out, I was putting air in another tire that was perfectly fine at 35psi.

So it looks like my TPMS sensors are not reading where the cars EVIC says they are. I called the shop that put them on for me. Any reason why the shop would tell me over the phone that they need to be reprogrammed and would cost me an additional 40.00? I assumed when the shop installed the new setup, that when I drove it for 20 minutes or so afterwards that the car learned the TPMS and where they are?

How did it not learn the correct location though? This kinda gets me pissed because if they did it right the first time, I would not have to pay and get them reprogrammed.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think what you paid for mounting / balancing / installing sounds crazy high but what is done is done. Before paying anymore I would disconnect the - cable on the battery for about 30 minutes, reconnect it, and see if the system learns where the sensors are. I have never heard of this situation with Mopar factory or OEM TPMS devices so I am wondering if there is an issue using the after market ones you got from TR.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Don't do it just yet. Chrysler TPMS systems are supposed to be self-learning. Re-programming by a shop is usually required for systems like GM's. Make sure all the pressures are at least 32 psi. A good drive on the highway should be sufficient for it re-learn the sensor locations. If after driving it a few days if it's still showing wrong info, then take it in. Also, the battery disconnect like Lonestar mentioned is worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay even better news.

Looking at the tire today I notice that there is a broken off nail in the tire that was slowly leaking. So at least that explains the loss pressure. Sucks to have it happen to my brand new tire less than a month old.

I took off the negative cable from the battery for about an hour today, went for a drive for 15 minutes and it didn't help the sensors. As far as I know the back 2 are still reading opposite sensors and need to be swapped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts