Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this certainly won't make any difference for me and my driving style but still wondering.

From a performance perspective.

Would tires that are 2.08 lbs lighter and .28 inches narrow have an advantage over tires that are 2.08 lbs heavier but .28 inches wider?

Again real world for me I am not gonna notice anything but what about true performance race cars width or weight?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,580 Posts
It would likely depend on wheel width. The only advantage of the wider tire would be if you can get a larger tread patch on the road. I believe for every 10 lbs of weight removed = approx. 1 HP, so 8.32lbs...negligible

If we're talking performance in turns, etc., then it gets interesting with shoulder rollover and contact patch, etc. The stiffness of the shoulder, the tread pattern...

All things being equal besides the differences you have listed, and assuming the same contact patch, the lighter tire would have the advantage...assuming heat buildup, etc. would not affect performance :D

How's that for technical wishy washy? :D

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@A Guy good start and a subject that is certainly hotly debated on other forums.

The FSW F152 Demon Replicas the 20*9.5 weighs 24lbs and the 20*10.5 weighs 25lbs.

The stock SRT wheels weigh just under 29 lbs at like 28.8 according to post on the hellcat forum.

In the front per rim there is a 4.8 lbs in rim weight being saved and in the rear per rim its 3.8lbs per rim.

From what I found the stock Pirelli P Zero Summer tire in 275*40 weighs 34lbs and contact patch 10.9 inches.

Nitto 555G2s at 305*35 the weight of the one tire is 35.27 and contact patch is 12.32 inches.

Nitto 555G2s at 315*35 the weight of the one tire is 37.35 and contact patch is 12.6 inches.

Nitto 555G2s at 275*40 the weight of one tire is 33.36

Total rim and tire weight on Stock SRT wheels with Pirelli P Zero Summer tires is 251.2lbs

Total rim and tire weight with the FSW F152 Demon Reps in staggered set up 9.5 and 10.5 with 305s in the rear is 235.3lbs. Saves 15.9lbs in weight.

Total rim and tire weight with the FSW F152 Demon Reps in staggered set up 9.5 and 10.5 with 315s in the rear is 239.4lbs. Saves 11.8lbs in weight.

Of course, all of that is unsprung weight and with reading in other places unsprung weight actually has a bit of a multiplier effect. I have read that for every 1 lb of unsprung weight it is actually like removing 1.5lbs of “non unsprung weight”.

The 305 set up would “net me 23.85lbs” and with the numbers A Guy gave above we are talking 2.3 hp

The 315 set up would “net me 17.7lbs” and with the numbers A Guy gave above we are talking 1.7 hp

In our big heavy cars 24 lbs probably doesn’t mean much in acceleration or cornering.

I shared all that info because I did the research and maybe it will help someone in the future.

@Nuke you certainly have a very real world example that you can share with us regarding a long lost cousin and their pet tiger who once belonged to Seigfried and Roy who raised the tiger after it was found roaming around Texas, no?

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
716 Posts
The FSW F152 Demon Replicas the 20*9.5 weighs 24lbs and the 20*10.5 weighs 25lbs.
They are 37 lbs.

Specifications

Front
Product NameFSW - Flow Forged Demon Style F152
FinishSatin Black
Diameter (in)20
Width (in)9.5
Offset(s)18
Back Spacing6
Weight (lbs)37
Bolt Pattern(s)5x115
Hub Bore(s)71.5
BrandFactory Style Wheels
Max Load (lbs)N/A
StructureOne-Piece
ConstructionFlow Formed

Rear
Product NameFSW - Flow Forged Demon Style F152
FinishSatin Black
Diameter (in)20
Width (in)9.5
Offset(s)18
Back Spacing6
Weight (lbs)37
Bolt Pattern(s)5x115
Hub Bore(s)71.5
BrandFactory Style Wheels
Max Load (lbs)N/A
StructureOne-Piece
ConstructionFlow Formed

Warranty
FSW Wheels Warranty

·
Registered
716 Posts
My bad, I looked at the CAST wheels.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For others here is the link to the wheels I ordered. They are supposed to be here the 15th I will weigh them on my scale and give feedback in the thread.

@Competition! No worries, I will update and confirm when they arrive.

·
Registered
716 Posts
For others here is the link to the wheels I ordered. They are supposed to be here the 15th I will weigh them on my scale and give feedback in the thread.

@Competition! No worries, I will update and confirm when they arrive.

Excellent. I've never seen that light of a wheel for THAT price.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can say it's going to be interested to see how they are packed, essentially how much packaging material weighs. They show a shipping weight of 74lbs for two so that's 37 lbs a box.

I am leary that there is 12-13lbs of extra weight for shipping.

But maybe that's just a generic weight they use for all their wheels, fingers crossed.

I did call FSW and they confirmed the weight and explained that any 20 inch wheel that goes out the wharehouse is labeled 37lbs.

So it is looking good that those weights should be close.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok got the wheels last week and got them weighed. They came in at 28 lbs. Called FSW they explained the new batch was updated and weight has went up. They adjusted their website to the new weight.

I like em, look good finish was great. Happy to get flow formed wheels at 28lbs for roughly 1000 dollars.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
315s

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts