Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive gotten to the point that the black color r/T has been the worst decision of my life. Its my dd and it gets parked in a dirt lot that has lots of traffic. Ive been dusting it with the cal duster daily and recently noticed some scratches, not fine scratcher, on the hood by the windshield as well as spider webs. I have an appt to get it buffed next friday but if the problem because of the dirt lot, Im thinking about getting it painted. My uncle is a pro painter so he can do the job for cheap. The problem with this is finding a color that goes with the t/a package. What do you guys recommend, dam i hate this love/haterelationship. Ive been told to use a hand glaze to help minimize the spider webs.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep

My black car is a DD. I use quick wax. It's cheaper to trade to another color, than change color. Black is a pain, but it's the one color that makes a Challenger look "mean. angry and badazz."

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the same problem. The parking for my barber shop is in a dirt lot and I seem to be washing the car twice a week to only get it covered in dirt again. But man does black look awesome when it's clean. I don't think I will ever buy another black car haha.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm biased but I love silver. Scratches and dirt dont show as easily. I think black looks awesome on Challengers but I decided against it for the same reason c26bt34c chose it . I feel like black is the default color people gravitate towards for that "tough" look. There's a handful of black Challengers around town all lookin' tough but I feel a little more unique. No offense to the black Challenger club.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Buy a beater and drive it to work. Might be the same price as a new paint job. I have the white mopar appearance package like yours. It doesn't show dirt as bad as other colors. I wanted a high impact color. But thought the white wouldn't be as noticeable to the police officers. I was wrong ! It still sticks out like a sore thumb in traffic ! LOL

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Black DD here too, although I don't get anywhere near no dirt lots. Awesome look, but it sure is work. My plan, when I get tired of all the work is to wrap the car. As mentioned, a good paint job is too expensive, but a wrap isn't and is reversible while protecting your original paint.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
After my black stang...

I swore never to get another black car. But I could not do that with this car. It's special in black. In other colors...it is pretty. But the combination of the shape of this car, when colored black....makes it appear "sinister." That effect is not obtained in other colors. That affect does not occur in Mustangs or Camaros.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yea I went from silver to black. In 3 months of having the black challenger there are 400x as many swirls as my silver one after 1.5 years. Its beautiful when clean... for about 15 mins.

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I think black looks awesome on Challengers but I decided against it for the same reason c26bt34c chose it . I feel like black is the default color people gravitate towards for that "tough" look. There's a handful of black Challengers around town all lookin' tough but I feel a little more unique. No offense to the black Challenger club.
You're right about that: most Challengers around here are black. It's OK by me as I wasn't going for originality (I want mine to blend in as I daily drive it in a way that cops, um, notice). Silver is a fantastic color for a DD, but I've had 3 already and was sick of it and in the mood for something sexier.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got mine because it was the only 6S on the lot. Man i should have waited. Im going to ask my uncle what he would charge me. Buying a beater is not an option because why have three cars and pay extra on insurance.

·
Registered
675 Posts
+1 on getting it wrapped. Do a partial or complete wrap and you can remove it later if you want and it's a lot cheaper than painting the whole car another color.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I swore never to get another black car. But I could not do that with this car. It's special in black. In other colors...it is pretty. But the combination of the shape of this car, when colored black....makes it appear "sinister." That effect is not obtained in other colors. That affect does not occur in Mustangs or Camaros.
I think the newer 5.0 Mustang looks pretty sinister in black. The Camaro... I dont like it in any color.

Reactions: c26bt34c

·
Registered
968 Posts
Black kicks ass, even for my DD. You should have known better though in a dirt lot lol.

I need regular cali dusting without getting anywhere near a dirt lot.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Even if your uncle is a painter, a proper color change will not be cheap. What year is the car? It looks like a 12 or 13 or so. Have you thought about a great buff and detail and trading it in? Silver would probably be perfect for your particular situation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is silver but I wrapped the hood in satin black and painted the spoiler satin black. The silver sides stay and or look clean but from the drivers seat it looks and feels like you're driving a black car.
It's not as sinister looking as some of the "murdered look" black Challengers out there but I think it looks aggressive enough. This might be the solution for you?

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its a 13 and i bought it about 3 months ago so im pretty sure ill be upside down on it. At the time i bought it, there was no dirt parking lot. And i have an appt to get it buffed next week. Ive seen wraps before but not sure how long they are good for. Ive heard 1-3 years. Whats the cost of a wrap.

Reactions: ChallengerRTkid
1 - 20 of 54 Posts