Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this thread a lot but haven't gotten much help, I want to know the cold air intake of choice. Right now I'm looking at k + n 63 series for 240$ and mopar for 300$. Which one do you like or different ones? Lots of feedback would be nice so I can compare what people are using up to date.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
AdamsRT hey buddy save your coin and look around most of these units actually pick up the ambient heat from the engine compartment. A K&N Drop will actually give you better performance and be easier on your wallet. But if your going for looks then have it, there are a couple that actually utilize the opening with a filter down low I personally like those better as they bring in the fresh air...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree. The KN being plastic does not absorb heat any where near the rate of a metal one, hence cooler air= more power
With just a canned tune and K&N I broke the 5 sec mark 0-60 (RT Auto)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
canned tune

What is a canned tune? Prices from where? I pmed Tim from dcx in Cincinnati the other day they had on another thread n I asked him through pm about details because I know nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I paid the extra money for the Mopar one for looks. Like said before your not going to get much extra power with eighther one. It sure feels like I do with a cann 93 CAI tune and the CAI but all the experts say no.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
air filter

I found a filter for 200 that was numbered 63-114 but it didn't say that was for 2010 just previous years. Any advise? And still don't know what canned tune or canned 93 is. Like I said on other reply to this thread I talked to Tim at dcx in Cincinnati n asked what be offered with the 145 tune n ask him what it was cause I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The 63-114 will fit a 10 RT I know. The Cann tune we are talking about are the tunes already in a predator when you get it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
canned tune vs dcx

Which is better the predator canned tune or what dcx out of Cincinnati does?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I never tried the dcx ones. Someone on here said they tried some other tunes other than the cann tunes (I don't know that they were dcx) and liked the canned ones better. That's just hear say Though. You might start a thread and see if you get any answers. It don't cost anything to ask.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I found a filter for 200 that was numbered 63-114 but it didn't say that was for 2010 just previous years. Any advise? And still don't know what canned tune or canned 93 is. Like I said on other reply to this thread I talked to Tim at dcx in Cincinnati n asked what be offered with the 145 tune n ask him what it was cause I have no idea.
It will fit, they did not update the info, there were no major changes 2010 up.
Canned tune refers to a tune that comes with a Preditor programer. From there you can do custom tunes to eak out more performance. I believe DCX is more in line with a custom tune where they need feedback (datalogs) to tweak what your individual car does\needs. The canned tunes are more universal to safely free up horespower. If you use someone elses tune you could damage your engine.
Just remember, all you are doing is freeing up horsepower that was already there just not being utilised to its full potential.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
What is a canned tune? Prices from where? I pmed Tim from dcx in Cincinnati the other day they had on another thread n I asked him through pm about details because I know nothing.
If you are set on getting a CAI
Long Air Intake
The new Mopar Long Air Intake (made by AEM), Stack Performance Bullet Intake, and Leg Maker 4" Intakes are all good fender intakes. Long airs become an issue with maintaining because of accessibility to the filter. Deep water can be an issue.

Short Air Intake
If you want an underhood design, get one that seals to the lower air box hole and to the hood. Cervinis Ram Air System and Rotofab Intakes have this design. The issue you run into is that the IAT sensor remains in the stock position and is susceptible to heatsoak. Short airs are easier to maintain the filter.

The better Air Intake
For the CAI, just like 70TA said, a drop in K&N filter will do you justice based on your modifications. The K&N drop in won't net you much more airflow, however, from a maintenance aspect, you won't have to replace your filter. If you have an automatic, you can look at swapping out the air intake system design with a SRT Air Box. In addition...

IAT Heatsoak Reduction Mod
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/heat-soak-eats-20-lb-ft-torque-36973/#post525600

Look at purchasing an Intake Air Temperature sensor extension harness (IAT Sensor extension harness). If you have the gray IAT fitting, don't buy the harness and instead get wire, wire loom and splice the wire yourself as they don't make that harness for that fitting (Step #4, IAT Sensor extension harness). The reason for this is that the IAT sensor picks up radiant heat from the engine block and radiator fans during operation which causes your IAT to read 20+deg temperatures above the actual intake air temperature. There has been discussion about this both ways, however, the new 2011 design moves the IAT sensor away from the engine block and also the new air box seals to the lower air box so, to me, this says Dodge also did some homework on this and it's not just what has been tested out by forum members.

Predator
As for the Predator and custom tune, save your money on the custom tune until you are done doing all of your mods. In my opinion, I would not get a custom tune with only a CAI and would stick with the canned tunes instead. The DCX depot tunes are good but you can also look into getting it Dyno tuned.

Cost
K&N Drop-in - $45ish
IAT Harness - $9ish
Predator - $279 shipped (Check the Cherokee SRT8 forum)
Not spending a lot of money by learning from what other forum members have tested - Priceless

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If you have a factory exaust you will be able to tell alot more differance with a CAI than a drop in filter. I had a K&N drop in filter for 4 months because of peoples recomendations and I think the CAI and 93 CAI tune with my stock set up was the way to go. That's just my ears and the seat of my pants.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Predator tuner

Who do I talk to on the Cherokee srt8 forum to get it for 279 shipped that's lower than I've seen. Also I think Im going to get the k+n 63-114.does the predator tuner have preset settings I pick from that then tune the car or how does that work.?

If you are set on getting a CAI
Long Air Intake
The new Mopar Long Air Intake (made by AEM), Stack Performance Bullet Intake, and Leg Maker 4" Intakes are all good fender intakes. Long airs become an issue with maintaining because of accessibility to the filter. Deep water can be an issue.

Short Air Intake
If you want an underhood design, get one that seals to the lower air box hole and to the hood. Cervinis Ram Air System and Rotofab Intakes have this design. The issue you run into is that the IAT sensor remains in the stock position and is susceptible to heatsoak. Short airs are easier to maintain the filter.

The better Air Intake
For the CAI, just like 70TA said, a drop in K&N filter will do you justice based on your modifications. The K&N drop in won't net you much more airflow, however, from a maintenance aspect, you won't have to replace your filter. If you have an automatic, you can look at swapping out the air intake system design with a SRT Air Box. In addition...

IAT Heatsoak Reduction Mod
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/heat-soak-eats-20-lb-ft-torque-36973/#post525600

Look at purchasing an Intake Air Temperature sensor extension harness (IAT Sensor extension harness). If you have the gray IAT fitting, don't buy the harness and instead get wire, wire loom and splice the wire yourself as they don't make that harness for that fitting (Step #4, IAT Sensor extension harness). The reason for this is that the IAT sensor picks up radiant heat from the engine block and radiator fans during operation which causes your IAT to read 20+deg temperatures above the actual intake air temperature. There has been discussion about this both ways, however, the new 2011 design moves the IAT sensor away from the engine block and also the new air box seals to the lower air box so, to me, this says Dodge also did some homework on this and it's not just what has been tested out by forum members.

Predator
As for the Predator and custom tune, save your money on the custom tune until you are done doing all of your mods. In my opinion, I would not get a custom tune with only a CAI and would stick with the canned tunes instead. The DCX depot tunes are good but you can also look into getting it Dyno tuned.

Cost
K&N Drop-in - $45ish
IAT Harness - $9ish
Predator - $279 shipped (Check the Cherokee SRT8 forum)
Not spending a lot of money by learning from what other forum members have tested - Priceless

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
There was a place for $272.95 to the door but I never heard of them so I got mine at Maryland Speed. The cheaper place was Streetsideauto.com

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Who do I talk to on the Cherokee srt8 forum to get it for 279 shipped that's lower than I've seen. Also I think Im going to get the k+n 63-114.does the predator tuner have preset settings I pick from that then tune the car or how does that work.?
As stated, Maryland Speed for the Predator. DiabloSport Predator Flash Tuner - 2008-2010 Dodge Challenger Hemi (5.7L & 6.1L) - FREE SHIPPING! [DIA-U7135] - $440.99$279.95 : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!

There are 4 canned tunes in the Predator.

-91 Oct
-91 CAI
-93 Oct
-93 CAI

For whichever tune you select, make sure to be running that kind of fuel. For example, 91 CAI requires that you use 91 OCT fuel or better.

The tunes are easy to get to through the menus.

The K&N 63-1114 was the first intake I bought for my Challenger and it was later replaced with the Cervinis (ironically it uses a K&N Cone Filter).

Cervinis System uses a K&N Cone Air Filter.
https://www.cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1225#4385

Rotofab
http://shop.roto-fab.com/product.sc?productId=19&categoryId=7

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cold air intake

Anyone know where I can get at 63-115 k+n air intake kit at a good price?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts