Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 275 40 zr20's put on the rear of my challenger 8" wheels, seems to be driving differently. Seems like my car is more sluggish now, and not as quick to shift for some reason. I tried the 0-60, and got these results. Somethings up

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
Um, no one noticed the 1.64s 0-60 time? As K-Dawg said, legs being pulled...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
275/40R20 is the same height as original tire. A Guy

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
275/40-20 on 8 X 20 wheels. :surprise: No problem... yet. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
You need 9" minimum to run 275s.
A 275/40-20 tire squeezed onto an 8" wheel, where the sidewalls are spread wider than what they are designed for, will not wear or perform properly (look at the middle image on the attached diagram). The proper fit is illustrated by the image on the left.

It's pretty easy to recognize this problem, as it leaves the tire sidewalls bulged out (i.e, leaning at a diagonal to the tread, instead of vertical). This is extremely bad. Tire sidewalls are supposed to be vertical, since they're what's holding the tire tread stable against the car's weight and protecting the wheel against impacts. Also, air can be lost.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
657 Posts
...as been said before...'Like putting Queen Latifa in Jennifer aAniston's dress...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Um, no one noticed the 1.64s 0-60 time? As K-Dawg said, legs being pulled...

A Guy
No leg pulling, that's the time it's giving me now. Actual 0-60 should be around 4.21 seconds. New tire size messes with the 0-60

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,759 Posts
I could only assume it was a joke, The 275/40-20 tires are the same Diameter, Circumference, and sidewall height as the 245/45-20 stock. Width shouldn't mess with speedo or timers?

Clipboard01.jpg

Did you make any other changes at the same time?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I thought those older cars were fooled easy, something about spinning the tires and the mph needle shoots up with the RPM technically hitting 60 because the tires are spinning that fast. But shouldnt be because of the tire size. Idk ive read a couple threads around here about thay

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought those older cars were fooled easy, something about spinning the tires and the mph needle shoots up with the RPM technically hitting 60 because the tires are spinning that fast. But shouldnt be because of the tire size. Idk ive read a couple threads around here about thay
Sounds right, my tires are spinning like crazy during the 0-60 time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Am on my second set of rear 275/40/20 Falkens on stock 20x8. Daily driver, occasional trips into the mountains, normal wear. No track time, no burnouts, occasional spirited accelerations long road trips. No problems with acceleration, best 0-60 is in the 5 range because I don't want to kill the clutch. Original clutch is almost at 90k miles with no slips, yet.

·
Registered
716 Posts
What were the original diameters?

275 is FAR too wide for an 8" wheel.
Agreed!! Never heard that before (275's on an 8" wheel). Surprised a shop would put those on - that's a pretty serious safety hazard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts