Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I have Nittos 555's on my 392 and I can tell you I am not impressed at all. I don't think its the tires, meaning with all 275's there just isn't enough tire to grab the road for the 392's power. Mine will spin like there on ice. Same in 2nd gear and sometimes I'll lose the back end in 3rd.

So when these tires are no longer viable, that's when I'll make a switch to aftermarket rims and a minimum of 305's if not 315's on the rear. I honestly believe that is the only thing that will allow the tire to perform and handle the 392's power.

There's a guy on youtube who is testing different tires out - the Mickey Thompsons seem to be the best of the lot. Check it out -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4u_O3u930

Any thoughts on this?? Or tires that really seem to perform in the 275 size??

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I swear by Continental Extreme Contact Sport on my street machine. I run 285's on all fours with my 9.5" wheels and wet/dry performance is above and beyond my experience with Pirelli All Season and Summer tires both. I've also tracked these tires and took 5 seconds off my personal best compared to Pirelli. Can't speak for Nittos though.

Who ever thought we'd be complaining "awe man, I can't keep from spinning my wheels" after the 80's & 90's LOL

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
Are you looking for a drag strip/street legal tire or an all season tire, summer tire? What kind of mileage life expectancies do you have? My experience is my MT305/45-18 work great at the strip. MT 305/35-18’s are good at the strip and nitto 275/45-20’s not very good but much better tread life.

Reactions: Clevetown

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you looking for a drag strip/street legal tire or an all season tire, summer tire? What kind of mileage life expectancies do you have? My experience is my MT305/45-18 work great at the strip. MT 305/35-18’s are good at the strip and nitto 275/45-20’s not very good but much better tread life.
Looking for a summer tire as I only drive it in the summer and fall - store it in winter. Street tires only. You hear a lot of chatter about Nittos but my experience is they don't hook up very well. Tread life seems very good but other than that - ??

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I swear by Continental Extreme Contact Sport on my street machine. I run 285's on all fours with my 9.5" wheels and wet/dry performance is above and beyond my experience with Pirelli All Season and Summer tires both. I've also tracked these tires and took 5 seconds off my personal best compared to Pirelli. Can't speak for Nittos though.

Who ever thought we'd be complaining "awe man, I can't keep from spinning my wheels" after the 80's & 90's LOL
So you have 285's on the standard scatpack rims?? Mine is a 2015 392 - I didn't think you could go bigger than 275's on those 9.5 rims??

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts
Use the M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20 drag radial. Works great. Run them at 25-26psi on the street and 19-21psi at the track. No issues in the rain going 40mph either when I got stuck once, no hydroplaning at all. Excellent tire.

I run those on the back of my Scat Pack during the summer for street use and then use a separate set of wheels with M/T ET Street R 305/45/17's for the track. I used to the the S/S at the track as well and they worked great, just less sidewall with a 20" wheel.

Once temps drop below 45-50 degrees they start to not work as well and I put my stock street tires on at that point.

Most people at the track that run Nittos spin a lot. They're an improvement over a normal street tire, but nothing like a true drag radial like M/T or M&H.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, 285's fit great on our 9.5" wheels and are an approved fit that any tire shop will mount. I too have a '15 SRT 392 (although now sporting a 426 Hemi :) )
426 did you say??? Yikes! That must be an absolute animal!! The mechanic I bought this car from was doing a 426 stroker build on it. Wasn't completed. There was one guy on youtube who had a 426 and it was so loud it was unreal. Even he was like I have to tone this down for the neighborhood!

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,666 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
853 Posts
Mickey Thompsons hands down.

I run MT Street Rs on my Challenger year round. I just bought an 06’ Daytona as my daily and first thing I did was buy new wheels and tires and put MT Street SS tires on it.

Every pair of MT drag radials I have had on my cars has averaged 10-14k miles with 40-60 burnout/drag passes.

They don’t do well for traction in 50° or lower weather and the Street SS tires are slightly better than the Rs in rain (grant you neither are all weather tires).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,094 Posts
I have been using nothing but Nitto since about 2006, be it street tires or off road from my truck(when I still had it) and wife’s SUV. Big fan and never any issues. More specifically with summer tires for the Challenger. When I first bought Luke’s @stevewhiteMotors old WRT wheels that he used to have on Big Red, the had NT05s with some life left on them. They were 305s out back since he had the rear wheels widened. They were great, in the dry. Always hooked for the couple months that I rode on them.

When I replaced them I went with Nitto 555 G2s, 245 front and 315 rear. I wanted longer longevity and better wet traction out of a summer tire. I personally feel that I got that. I don’t go to the drag strip, but used the hell out of my car on curvey roads here in Germany. Never any issues with feeling that the tire was slipping in the corners, nor tacking off straight line when no one was looking on a back road. However, I could get them to spin if that’s what I was going for, but for taking off hard with out going crazy on the streets I never had an issue. Hope that all makes sense. Haven’t finished my morning coffee yet.... These tires have also been great in the rain, definitely could get loose in the wet if you are going for that. But if you’re not driving like an idiot in the wet on these, there perform quite well.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Clevetown

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
426 did you say??? Yikes! That must be an absolute animal!! The mechanic I bought this car from was doing a 426 stroker build on it. Wasn't completed. There was one guy on youtube who had a 426 and it was so loud it was unreal. Even he was like I have to tone this down for the neighborhood!

😄😄😄😄😄

Just got a set of Velgen wheels to go with the new engine. 9.5"x20 front and 11"x20 in back. Reinstalling my Conti. 285/35 on front and new Conti. 305/35 in back. Really need the extra rubber behind me now :) The 11" wheels will accept 315's but my car is lowered so am a little nervous about clearances. With Conti. tires, the contact patch between 305 and 315 was only around 1/4" less so decided to err on the side of caution.

IMG_0110.jpg

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Guys I have Nittos 555's on my 392 and I can tell you I am not impressed at all. I don't think its the tires, meaning with all 275's there just isn't enough tire to grab the road for the 392's power. Mine will spin like there on ice. Same in 2nd gear and sometimes I'll lose the back end in 3rd.

So when these tires are no longer viable, that's when I'll make a switch to aftermarket rims and a minimum of 305's if not 315's on the rear. I honestly believe that is the only thing that will allow the tire to perform and handle the 392's power.

There's a guy on youtube who is testing different tires out - the Mickey Thompsons seem to be the best of the lot. Check it out -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4u_O3u930

Any thoughts on this?? Or tires that really seem to perform in the 275 size??
Well I do think you are on to something in that for street tires, you do not need to go expensive or name brand because there's a new tire, the Atturo AZ850, which is really cheap and just kicks ass for a summer street tire. IMO it hooks almost as good as the Nitto NT555r drag radial.

Do you currently have the 555 G2s? Because those really aren't that great IMO.

If you are talking drag radial, then yes I agree the Mickey Thompsons are the way to go and what I run on the rear. ET Street S/S 275/40s.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

https://youtu.be/Zo166L-cPIk

Just got a set of Velgen wheels to go with the new engine. 9.5"x20 front and 11"x20 in back. Reinstalling my Conti. 285/35 on front and new Conti. 305/35 in back. Really need the extra rubber behind me now :) The 11" wheels will accept 315's but my car is lowered so am a little nervous about clearances. With Conti. tires, the contact patch between 305 and 315 was only around 1/4" less so decided to err on the side of caution.
WOW just listen to that thing!! Nice. That must be unreal. Nice job. Happy 4th!

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

It's true that it would have been hard to predict that a major manufacturer would be building a car this heavy and with this level of power and sending it through a RWD platform on tires too small for the job. The car isn't a well sorted in stock trim as it could have been that's for sure.

In the 1980s power was too weak.

In the 1990s there was PLENTY of power in some models. I had a '96 Camaro Z28/SS that came with 275/40/17s that could very easily MELT it's rear tires into molten rubber with any clutch dump over 1,500RPM...... but a sensible launch could be achieved with just a little slip and attention. The later LS1 cars brought even a bit more heat.

The real problem here in the 392 Challengers we have now is a lot of extra weight and extra power yet no big up grade in tires from the factory.

If you own an RT you get CRUSHED by a 90s era Camaro for sure. If you run a 392 you can win but it's close and you do have the bigger handful to launch.

Don't even get me started on the pure craziness of the super charged versions of the Challenger. On the drag strip, properly set up they are really FAST.........on the street on street tires and with a "stick" shift........ you're probably gonna put on a smoke show rather than achieve anything close to the race promised by a 700+hp rating on street tires and a typical street surface.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts