Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

Last summer I purchased a used 2009 SRT Challenger. It had the original tires with about 14,000 miles. I tacked on another 4000 miles having fun and it's definitely time for some new rubber. One of the fronts was showing cords and leaking air a few weeks before I garaged it for the winter. Anyway this is a second car for me, I use it as a daily driver during the nice weather but use the car, I'll drive it in the rain if needed but I do have another vehicle for nasty weather. I'd be looking for maximum performance out of the tires.

Any recommendations for tires?

Pros/Cons to some of the popular choices?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm probably going with Nitto Motivos when I replace my F1 Goodyears. my second choice is the Continental Extreme DWS... both are supposed to be quiet and smoother than OEM tires. I'm sure there are better handling tires but I want smooth and quiet since I don't track my car, what do you do with yours and whats important to you? long wear or higher performance?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
I'm probably going with Nitto Motivos when I replace my F1 Goodyears. my second choice is the Continental Extreme DWS... both are supposed to be quiet and smoother than OEM tires. I'm sure there are better handling tires but I want smooth and quiet since I don't track my car, what do you do with yours and whats important to you? long wear or higher performance?
Have a 2012 SRT Challenger and considered both of those tires. I went with the Nitto Motivos but I am sure the Conti`s are very good tires as well. The Motivos are very quiet and very smooth. I actually bought them from a member here on CT with only 700 miles on them.
I am happy with them as I do summer road trips and will put on 1800-2200 miles in a week going out West> I also wanted to extend my driving season here in Mn. by getting rid of the 3 season Goodyear F1`s. I can attest to the fact that the Nitto`s are very good in rain and pretty good in light snow. At least you have a fighting chance once the outside temps dip below 45 degrees!! Since they are an UHP all season Z rated tire I jumped on that quick. It has extended my driving season here and quiet as a church mouse on the open road.
Good luck in your decision........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at those...to answer your question, for me I'd pick performance over wear or noise. I'm considering trying some track/autocross events so I'd give up some wear for a good sticky high performance tire...if such an animal exists.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
then you need Yahooligan.. he knows what you need for sure.. if I'm not wrong he's had a set of Nittos (don't remember which but they were more aggressive tires than the Motivo) and maybe Michelin Pilot Sports.. he'll hook you up either way with what works for him.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
then you need Yahooligan.. he knows what you need for sure.. if I'm not wrong he's had a set of Nittos (don't remember which but they were more aggressive tires than the Motivo) and maybe Michelin Pilot Sports.. he'll hook you up either way with what works for him.

He had the nitto nt05s before with 255/45/20s all around and now he's got the Michelin PSS all around.
They're both excellent track tires.
The Michelins don't come wider than 255s but the nittos do.
I have the nt05s and do track my car and love them. But not great for drag racing. I'd recommend the nitto 555r for that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He had the nitto nt05s before with 255/45/20s all around and now he's got the Michelin PSS all around.
They're both excellent track tires.
The Michelins don't come wider than 255s but the nittos do.
I have the nt05s and do track my car and love them. But not great for drag racing. I'd recommend the nitto 555r for that.
Thanks guys, I've done some reading on these NT05's and they sound pretty good. Are you saying you can install the larger size rear tires on the front of the SRT since they don't make the correct front size? Is there any downside to doing that (like rubbing at full steering lock or anything like that?)

Thanks for all your input.

Oh, and HEMIZSP - which do you prefer, the NT05's or the Michelin PSS's? I've got some Michelin's on my SUV and really thought they were a big improvement over the OEM rubber so I'm a tad partial but then again I've never had a Nitto tire...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I went with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I like these tires very much, great in the dry and wet. However I don't drive my challenger in the winter. They are a summer tire.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Thanks guys, I've done some reading on these NT05's and they sound pretty good. Are you saying you can install the larger size rear tires on the front of the SRT since they don't make the correct front size? Is there any downside to doing that (like rubbing at full steering lock or anything like that?)

Thanks for all your input.

Oh, and HEMIZSP - which do you prefer, the NT05's or the Michelin PSS's? I've got some Michelin's on my SUV and really thought they were a big improvement over the OEM rubber so I'm a tad partial but then again I've never had a Nitto tire...

I run 255/45 in the front and 275/40 in the back. No rubbing issues. I also track my car and love how these tires perform. For the money, it's the best track tires out right now.
The Michelin PSS is also great as far as grip. They also come with 30k warranty, 15k if you go staggered. But nothing wider than 255s.
If you don't mind going with 255, then I'd pick the Michelins. No warranty on the nittos. Look wise, the nittos hands down.
Let me just say this as well. The nittos need to be warmed up a little in order to perform.
So it's up to you to decide.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport, they are fantastic!!! Had the Goodyear Supercar on before but there is no comparison, the Michelins all the way hands down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts