Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original 9in wheels on my car. Tires are original as car has less than 18,000 miles.
I installed a Magnusen 2300 surpercharger last summer. I am getting really bad wheel hop due to very hard rubber on the tires ( due to age).
Can I go to 275 40 20 on the 9 in wheel and have decent servicability?
Wheels would be nice but I am thinking I will be replacing rear tires often!
Anyone else done simialr?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,607 Posts
Welcome from California Ian ;) 275's will fit on the 9" wheels, yes

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,028 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help. I am looking at nitto555 and pirelli p zero.
In Calgary Canada today we had 40 degrees . But as usual, short lived as temp will go down to 30 degrees and snow in the next few days
Summer is still a long way off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And to add to that, my Harley was delivered today. So now my garage is full of units I can not drive or ride due to the season.
Lol

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I have the original 9in wheels on my car. Can I go to 275 40 20 on the 9 in wheel and have decent servicability?

Did the SC install on a 09 as well and the factory tire traction wise was a joke. Had the rear wheels widened and went with a 295 and traction is still an issue, but nothing like the 245's. Kenny Bell did a article years ago and stated that anything over five hundred RWHP on the early cars could cause major engine, drive line damage especially with a car that hooks up. I took his advice and went with a six pound setup and with a little traction lose have had no issues. As far as replacing the rear tires, they have lasted 10k with a lot of spirited driving and am in the process of ordering a new set for the rear...

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
13,689 Posts
I installed 275/40-20 tires on the rear of my 2009 SRT. This is the widest size that will wear and perform properly on a 9-inch wide wheel. I really like the way they look and traction is much improved.

Tires 005.JPG
Tires 003.JPG
Tires 002.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the original 9in wheels on my car. Tires are original as car has less than 18,000 miles.
I installed a Magnusen 2300 surpercharger last summer. I am getting really bad wheel hop due to very hard rubber on the tires ( due to age).
Can I go to 275 40 20 on the 9 in wheel and have decent servicability?
I have 275s in the rear, 255s in front. Nitto Motivos. They fit fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts