Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Tires what to do

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  xbringdarukusx 
#1 ·
So i am in need of tires. I am either going with bfg's or hankook. My question is what is the advantage of a place like tire rack over a local dealer. Money wise they are about 175 bucks cheaper. But if you deal local and there is a issue they take care of it vs you sending tires back ect

Just curious on your thoughts as i honestly besides the little savings dont see the huge advantage

Chris
sent from mobile device

#2 ·
I went with Hankook in a 255 and they're awesome tires. I got them from DiscountTireDirect and their prices simply couldn't be beat. I did shop around and no local shop could come close to matching their prices.

#3 ·
Ya dont have a discount tire where i live. And tire rack was cheaper than discount tire online

sent from mobile device

#4 ·
I went to a local place. I got the Hankook's in 255/45/20 all around. Installed out the
door was $725 and they included free lifetime rotations and flat repair. Seemed like a
better deal to me than DT or TR and I can easily go back if I have any issues.

#6 ·
I know jay i just dont want to drive to omaha for tires lol

sent from mobile device

#8 ·
I recently purchased tires from discount tire direct and had them installed at my local discount tire. The boys at the store seemed very butt hurt that I did not buy the tires from them. No less than 3 techs and the manager ask why I did not buy the tires from the store. I explained the cost savings (no tax and free shipping). The manager insisted he would have matched the price. I'll give him a shot at the price match next time but have a feeling they will have a hard time making the large adjustment to the pre-tax price to make the price match work (after tax).
Anyway you may want to go to your local shop armed with the to your door online price and see if they will match it before you pull the trigger. Just my .02

#10 ·
I prefer the Nitto NT-05 drag radials all 4 corners on stock rims, out preforms the Goodyear F1's and 1/2 the price my two cents........read up on them on tire rack web site.

255 front
2745 rear

#12 ·
Great for straight line traction, but the non-DR version will handle better. The NT-05r have a pretty soft and flexy sidewall.

Michelin PSS > NT-05 and not much more for a set of 4. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
The only thing that drives me away fro michelins is the 35 side wall i think it wouldnt fill up the fender real well is all. I have looked at them several times though

sent from mobile device

#14 ·
You must be looking for 275s in the rear then if you're seeing the 35 sidewall as the tallest? They do make them in OEM sizes, too. 255/45 and 245/45.

#15 ·
ya yahoo

275 rear and undecided on 245 /255 up front.

#17 ·
never used firestone but on tire rack they have good reviews on firehawk wide oval indy 500.

anyone have any experience with them?

price is good.

#18 ·
I purchase tires from the cheapest guy...Any savings can be applied towards any installation fees. I just bought 4 tires for my wife's Honda. Our local Honda dealer told us they would price match...so I played along. Sorry to say, Tire Rack was by far cheaper given the fact the Honda dealer wouldn't give me an answer on their price match or the price... We got a good deal from them to install the new treads. I guess they weren't interested in a tire sale; I dunno?

I'd check around and if you have a good dealer or other local tire shop that won't destroy your wheels, give them a try with a price match and ask how an install would factor in.

#19 ·
ya i have looked local.. just talked to a firestone shop that has a road force balancer and for 4 tires mount balance out the door was 834.00
they have a buy 3 get one free. i am more on the fence about cheaper tires only because i know that tires won't last as long specially now that i got a blower and the fact i only drive the car in the summer.. so is it worth spending another 3-400 bucks on tires for the same ware and time of use that is where i am at.

#20 ·
That price seems reasonable if that's what you want. When I said I buy cheap, I meant in terms of price. I don't skimp on quality. IMO, too much at stake if below grade tires are in place.

#21 ·
My Goodyear Eagle F1's have worn out at 25K, not happy about it as I don't thrash them. Went with a set of Goodyear Eagle Sports AS. Picking them up tomorrow at the local SEARS Auto. Found a great deal for the holidays, buy three get one free. Worked out well for me. Knowing if I have any issues, I can always find a SEARS Auto around was a big factor.

Check the online discounts for the holidays, you may be surprised what is out there.

#22 ·
I was looking on Discount Direct at Nitto Motivos, seems like they dropped in price today by about $12 a tire.. but you don't have them around if I remember. the Falken Azenis are getting good ratings and are considerably less expensive.

#24 ·
see i hear good an bad about hankook.. i think they look great. now if they work like the look that is a different story.. if you go to tire rack they have mixed reviews on them. some love them.. some hate them.

part of my problem is i research stuff to death TO MUCH...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.