Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Challenger last month. The dealer put Nitrogen instead of air in the tires. The door label says to inflate tires to 30psi. The dealer inflated them to 35psi with the nitrogen.

1. I believe I read in Consumer Reports that there was no evidence nitrogen did anything. Opinions?
2. Is the higher psi because they used nitrogen or were they just not paying attention.

Thanks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The normal air that you breath is about 78% nitrogen. You need to be 93% or better to see any benefits. For the average Joe it is not worth it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Huh?..the factory installed Good Year tires on my 2010 SE say 44 psi...The low tire light comes on at about 30 psi on my SE

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tire sticker in the driver side door on my car says 30psi. I agree it seems low. Odd to me they're not following their own instructions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
IIRC, there are two potential benefits of using "pure" nitrogen.
-doesnt expand when heated/cooled as much
-less (no?) moisture/condensation in the air

in tires for a road car... no use at all.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I will be the first one to disagree here. A properly filled Nitrogen tire that has been purged and refilled sufficiently to make it mostly nitrogen inside will maintain a more steady tire pressure than a tire with normal air. I tested this last summer in a previous post (if you can find it). I purchased the car with ordinary air in the tires, then documented the changes shown on the dash per varying ambient air temperature changes. Once I collected enough data, I then had my local tire shop purge the air and fill them with nitrogen. I then repeated the same tests and found a 50% or better decrease in tire pressures variations with varying ambient air pressures.

I wouldn't pay for it, but if you can get it for free, I'd say it's better than just air. I keep a 10 gallon portable air tank at home to top off the tires if needed (haven't needed to use any since Sept of 2010). This I can also get refilled at my local tire shop for free. He takes good care of me, and when I need tires, I take good care of him.

·
Registered
205 Posts
^^^^

thats the other reason i couldnt think of. some aircraft use nitrogen reference to high altitudes... (aka: space shuttle)

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Aircraft tires have nitrogen because it is more stable in changing temps, I also have seen that nitrogen in auto tires maintains a more accurate pressure with the use of the sensors, I had a Prowler prior to the Challenger and using nitrogen I never had a sensor issue, but when I put in ambient air pressurized into the tires it would flag a low tire warning unless I increased the pressure over the recommended pressure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had to air up the Challenger tires a couple times to put the tire pressure light out..as it got colder this season..the tires lose/reduce pressure...

Probably have to reduce air pressure as it warms up this spring...not that big a deal..I have an air compressor in the garage...just grab the gage and drag the hose tire to tire.

It's a ritual with me...we have so many vehicles..and I hate low tires...Just air 'em up to rated pressure(tire sidewall pressure).

The tire pressure sensor system is 'new' to me...The Challenger has it..and my youngest daughter bought herself an Alero with the system on it. I like it..lets the driver know when to air up the tires.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A couple of thing here if I could. The MAX PSI on the side of a tire, any tire, is just that, the maximum pressure the tire is designed to hold. Tire pressure designated by the manufacture is a blend of the suspension. Your butt is isolated from the road by the seat, springs, shocks/struts, anti-sway bars, and the flexibility of the tires based on air pressure. A tire aired to the max will make your car ride like a red wagon. However, if you have standard tires and you want to do a little road racing then it is recommended to air them to the max so as to stiffen the side walls thus helping to avoid sidewall failure. Once the session is over the tire should be retuned to the recommendation on the door placard.

It should be noted that the auto manufacture’s tire pressure recommendation found on the door placard is based on the suite of OEM tires used on that specific vehicle. If you change to a different tire, especially a lower profile tire, then you should consult with the tire maker’s web site for pressure recommendations – usually (I said usually and not always) the folks at the tire store have no idea.

As noted herein, tires purged of air and fill with nitrogen will have more stable pressure. Lower profile tires will typically loose more pressure as the outside temperature drops and gain more pressure as outside temperature rises. Nitrogen will lessen, but not eliminate, these swings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nitrogen

I have this stuff in the tires on my SUV, it came with it, the dealer
stated that you should not mix regular air with it, so if on a trip and you
have to use air you need to return to the dealer and have nitrogen
replaced again.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have this stuff in the tires on my SUV, it came with it, the dealer
stated that you should not mix regular air with it, so if on a trip and you
have to use air you need to return to the dealer and have nitrogen
replaced again.
Thats incorrect. Mixing it wont do anything harmful. You just loose the slight benefit of running nitrogen, which is most cases is nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
The Gas Constant for dry air is actually slightly less than for Nitrogen but for practical purposes, they are the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cartalk on Nitrogen.

Tom and Ray looked at Nitrogen in 2005.

Read it here:

Car Talk

They basicly say that to the average driver who checks his air regularly, Nitrogen is not needed and it doesn't matter enough to think about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As many have said, Nitro is supposed to react better to temp. change, but it's debatable whether it's really worth it.

As for psi, my guess is they just didn't pay attention (or care) how much they filled it. Over the years, I've taken various cars different places to get new tires, etc., and almost always find they end up overinflated (sometimes by a lot). Why? Same reason lug nuts get overtorqued and fluids get overfilled--people don't take the time and care to do things the right way.

Just bring them back down a couple pounds yourself.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have only had my tpms go off one time since 09 and it was on a bitterly cold day. use regular air and check pressure once per month. nitrogen is auto tire snake oil.

·
Registered
331 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts