Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a piece of metal in my right rear and had to change the rear tires. I was thinking that I'd go with some drag radials but after some research and cold weather coming on I decided to go with all season radials. I went with Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate which according to Tire Rack is a Ultra High Performance All Season Radial. Basically it looked like a step up from the tires it came with as they cost almost $100 more. The shop I took them too is a very reputable family owned biz that does a lot of mods also. They have the best equipment, can mount tires without touching the rim. They did what they call a "road force" balance. Well now it rides a little bit rougher to me and I don't know if it's the tires or the balance. The tires where $223.99 a piece. We all know the tires these cars come with have virtually no grip for drag racing but they did ride great.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,025 Posts
Given the relatively short sidewalls on the 20” tires, I’d imagine the line between a tire that rides rough and one that rides less rough is thin and easy to cross over without meaning to.

How many miles on the car? If at or near 100K, perhaps a new, upgraded set of dampers would be the prescription for your rough ride?

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,230 Posts
How many miles on the car? If at or near 100K, perhaps a new, upgraded set of dampers would be the prescription for your rough ride?
Looks like it’s riding on OE tires....and it’s a ‘19.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For it to be balance, it would be variable and would show the worst in the 50-65 mph range.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,422 Posts
may want to just put a few miles on them.
I can always sense a difference once tires are broken in and settle a bit.
Different compounds act & feel differently, outside & road temps matters here as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it’s riding on OE tires....and it’s a ‘19.
View attachment 1005159
Yeah, she just went past 13K. I was surprised that tires costing almost $100 more wouldn't ride as good.

For it to be balance, it would be variable and would show the worst in the 50-65 mph range.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Well it's not variable, so I guess that's not it. I only thought that because I have never heard of a "road force" balance before.

may want to just put a few miles on them.
I can always sense a difference once tires are broken in and settle a bit.
Different compounds act & feel differently, outside & road temps matters here as well.
I'm hoping that's it. I had thought maybe it was. I haven't laid into them yet. They do grip much better than the OE's. I was thinking about popping the clutch and giving them a good burn. You know, smooth them out. Lol!!

It's not too awful bad, but there is defiantly a rougher ride. With the OE tires it was smooth as anything on good roads. Now it has a feel like a packed tar and chip road all the time. I purposely looked for a tire that was as close to the OE's as possible but better and thought I had it. Oh well. I think come summer I'm getting drag radials, which are cheaper anyway, and put them up until winter. It gets cold here in Md. and drag radials just aren't an option for me in the winter as I drive mine a lot. It's my transportation for everything except work.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Have you checked the tire pressure since they put the new tires on? Tire places love to overfill tires for some reason. When I had my new Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06 tires installed, the car was riding really rough - so I checked the tire pressure and they had them at like 45psi (instead of the normal 30psi)! Put the pressure back to normal and no more roughness. :)

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,230 Posts
Have you checked the tire pressure since they put the new tires on? Tire places love to overfill tires for some reason.
This.......

You could be experiencing installation error and/or an inflation pressure issue.

Utilizing the full capabilities of the road force balancing machine is not understood by all tire techs. Additionally.....there’s always a chance that the balancer could have been out of calibration as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you checked the tire pressure since they put the new tires on? Tire places love to overfill tires for some reason. When I had my new Continental ExtremeContact DWS-06 tires installed, the car was riding really rough - so I checked the tire pressure and they had them at like 45psi (instead of the normal 30psi)! Put the pressure back to normal and no more roughness. :)
That's the first thing I did and yeah, they had them at over 40psi. I like mine at 32psi. I don't know why they put so much pressure on them. Happens everytime I get new tires on anything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This.......

You could be experiencing installation error and/or an inflation pressure issue.

Utilizing the full capabilities of the road force balancing machine is not understood by all tire techs. Additionally.....there’s always a chance that the balancer could have been out of calibration as well.
I haven't called the merchant yet but I plan on it. I was waiting to see if the ride smoothed out after some miles.

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
First thing to check is your tire pressure. Is it set to the recommended 32 PSI?
Sorry, ignore post I didn't see previous mention of pressure....

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,429 Posts
Riding rougher is not necessarily a symptom of a balance issue. It suggests the tires are stiffer, have harder tread compound.

The "right" tires need to have the same tread hardness, wear rating, load rating as the ones that the factory chose to put on the car. Any difference can (will) affect the ride.

It is possible that even if all the metrics are the same the new tires will be different, feel different on the car.

My SOP is to when replacing tires on my cars to stick with what the factory sanctions. What my experience was even when I had to change brands -- because I wanted to to try another brand of tire (factory sanctioned) which was highly regarded by the owner community or because the current tires I had on the car were no longer available -- the change in tires did not result in a change in how the car drove. This was very important to me.

In my case the factory sanctioned several tire brands for my previous cars. What I found over the years -- in one case over 16 years and around 15 sets of rear tires and around 8 sets of front tires -- was without getting out and looking at the sidewall of the tires on the car I could not tell you which brand of tire was on the car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Riding rougher is not necessarily a symptom of a balance issue. It suggests the tires are stiffer, have harder tread compound.

The "right" tires need to have the same tread hardness, wear rating, load rating as the ones that the factory chose to put on the car. Any difference can (will) affect the ride.

It is possible that even if all the metrics are the same the new tires will be different, feel different on the car.

My SOP is to when replacing tires on my cars to stick with what the factory sanctions. What my experience was even when I had to change brands -- because I wanted to to try another brand of tire (factory sanctioned) which was highly regarded by the owner community or because the current tires I had on the car were no longer available -- the change in tires did not result in a change in how the car drove. This was very important to me.

In my case the factory sanctioned several tire brands for my previous cars. What I found over the years -- in one case over 16 years and around 15 sets of rear tires and around 8 sets of front tires -- was without getting out and looking at the sidewall of the tires on the car I could not tell you which brand of tire was on the car.
Well, my previous post that the Exhilarate's where more expensive than the RS-A2's was way wrong, I glanced at the RS-A and not the RS-A2. The tires I bought are actually $30 cheaper which probably factors into them not riding as well. Still they seem to have better grip which is what I wanted but didn't want to unknowingly sacrifice ride. I don't know how much credit you can give the comparison, but the Exhilarate beats the RS-A2 decisively.
The reviews on the RS-A2, (one from a Scat Pack owner), are terrible. I thought I was making an upgrade and seem to have done so as far as grip. Just didn't know I'd be sacrificing ride. I guess the Exhilarate are a slightly softer compound and therefore ride a bit rougher.

atturo 850's are the best bang for the buck,$550 for my 275/315 combo.on second set ,first set lasted 28k miles. i run 40 psi, anything less car feels squishy
I couldn't find Atturo's in 245/45 20. I know I can go a bit bigger but wanted to stay same size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts