Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've gone backwards and forwards, flipped and flopped on this one. On the one hand, I would love shorter and more precise throws. On the other hand, I don't want the extra noise in the cabin. I have read all of the threads about the various solutions including refitting the stock shifter mount onto the Hurst and using a neoprene washer to isolate the mount from the metal cover, but since I can't hear what these solutions offer in terms of sound, I'm still on the fence.

Can you guys help push me over the edge one way or another on this one?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The shift quality far outweighs any increase in noise. When insulated properly they are almost as quiet as stock.
If you have been married long enough your selective hearing survival skills will kick in soon enough. Now get off that fence!!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shift quality far outweighs any increase in noise. When insulated properly they are almost as quiet as stock.
If you have been married long enough your selective hearing survival skills will kick in soon enough. Now get off that fence!!!
HAHAHAHA! By insulated properly, I assume you mean the neoprene washer trick. Did you use Dynamat on the inside of the metal cover too?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The first production run of the Barton shifter is sold out so we should be getting real life reviews in the near future. Sign up for the second run is now open. No info on delivery dates.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
There's already plenty of Barton install feedback on the site BTW, turns out it isn't the utopia of shifters people were hoping it would be...but it may be better than the Hurst. One thing about the Hurst, it looks way cooler than anything else out there and it also it one of the truest retro touches you can put on these modern Challengers. I LOVE mine!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The first production run of the Barton shifter is sold out so we should be getting real life reviews in the near future. Sign up for the second run is now open. No info on delivery dates.

I signed up but was not in time for the first run. I got an email back that said they would be contacting people around 2/24. Cant wait to have mine delivered.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have the Hurst. Check out Subzero on the forums as he has another for sale http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f17/hurst-shifter-6spd-nib-166225/. I bought mine from him.

Apparently Hurst has a series 2 billet shifter now. It comes with dynamat and maybe some design changes. I used the dynamat following the instructions. I used the CF pistol grip shifter and the supplied white ball shifter. When putting the white ball on I used some plumbers tape over the threads for a nice tight fight and help with any potential rattles. I've swapped several handles out several times and have had none of the rattle, buzz, or noise issues associated with the Hurst shifter.

Either I got lucky, followed the instructions perfectly, or people hear a rattle from something in their console like changes, keys, id card, pens, and then attribute it to the shifter. But in the end I love the better shifting and I have no negatives to speak of it's use.

I do not like the fact that it is not made in the USA. That would be my only true complaint after over a year and 30k+ miles daily use.

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm starting to lose my balance on that old fence. Just need a few more yea testimonials...

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Go for a ride in one, that should do it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If it's between the hurst and the barton, definitely the barton but any aftermarket shifter's gonna carry through counter shaft noise that's what makes the rattling sound when the clutch out... The only one that has no noise is the stock shifter, with its soft rubber bushings and it's rubber encased handle chrysler had to make sure it was silent in leaving it very sloppy at best

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
There's a complete install and review of the Barton right here on CT

CLICK HERE

Made in the USA!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Once you go with the Barton you will never want to drive with the stock shifter again. It makes a HUGE difference in driving enjoyment. :bouncy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with Omaha even though noise is unavoidable either way unless you wrap it with a loaded baby diaper, the Barton over the Hurst is the way to go. There is no comparison in the build quality. Holy Grail, no, but keep missing third and hunting for gears with the stock shifter and noise will not be an issue. I am a believer in the Barton.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Get the Hurst, and make sure you get the throw rod mod done on it so it doesn't break !!! It makes some noise however the performance gain over the stock shifter is totally worth it. Best Mod you can make on a 6 Speed Challenger !!!

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I have had hursts in every muscle car I have ever owned and even with all the noise, vibration, rattling, etc.. It's still the absolute first thing I want to do to every manual I ever get in. Not so much it has to be hurst but that I can't live without that clunky short throw shifting where I have absolutely no doubt I am in gear and the super short throws. In te past I always got a hurst because it had the shortest throw and excellent alternatives weren't available whereas with the challenger I am on the list for the Barton

I can promise that no matter what route you take replacing the stock shifter that you won't regret replacing the stock with pretty much anything that is available. Now regrets as to the different brands...that may be possible. If I could have the Barton with the hurst chrom stick and pistol grip for that true 60s heritage look I would be in heaven...

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
512 Posts
have driven with the Hurst since 2010 approx. 18,000 miles never had noise issues......did the update rod to replace the O-rings which were poor design....but really like the unit can switch handles from short white ball to black ball to tee handle and ultimatley the Gunslinger pistol grip...... my 2cents worth....go HURST.......

·
Registered
262 Posts
Has anyone sat in the new Viper? It's shifter is tight, short throw and very precise.

Would this also work in a Challenger and be an option?

Perhaps Luke from Steve White can let us know if this is a possibility and what parts would need to be ordered.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Has anyone sat in the new Viper? It's shifter is tight, short throw and very precise.

Would this also work in a Challenger and be an option?

Perhaps Luke from Steve White can let us know if this is a possibility and what parts would need to be ordered.
Although the Viper uses the same Tremec TR6060 model, the tail shaft housing is different (extended) and it won't clear the tunnel in the Challenger.

The Viper mech. bolts to the top of the trans case extension, vs. the dual fork/arm shifter setup the LC cars get.

Reactions: CrazySRT8Guy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts