Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To CAI or not to CAI on my 2017 V6 Penstar?

Ok my fellow V6/Penstar lovers.

Looking at options for this bolt on upgrade for our V6 engine. I have a 2017.

IF CAI which do you guys recommend?

If not... Hellcat box ?

Look forward to the input.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Reactions: sdr2711

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I went with the Airaid kit. There are other kits out there, but this is more for visual appeal, than performance. Whatever you do, go with a kit that has a dry filter as opposed to an oiled one.

I just don't see where the Hellcat air box will help the 3.6, but if you want to go this way, I'm not stopping you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
Well, we're 3 for 3. I too got the Airaid, because it's smog legal. No smog test for 1st 6 years here, guess I could have gotten the R2C and changed after 6 years, lol. It's about the lifetime filter, cleanable. I got the Prefilter as well, so likely never clean the filter either. It did make the Solo exhaust sound deeper, and with just the CAI, you'll get some sound improvement.

008.jpg

001.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
174 Posts
As soon as the AirRAID on the 2017 is CARB certified, I plan on buying it. I live in MA and they follow CA emissions standards. Last time I checked the AirRAID site, it still said not legal in CA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, we're 3 for 3. I too got the Airaid, because it's smog legal. No smog test for 1st 6 years here, guess I could have gotten the R2C and changed after 6 years, lol. It's about the lifetime filter, cleanable. I got the Prefilter as well, so likely never clean the filter either. It did make the Solo exhaust sound deeper, and with just the CAI, you'll get some sound improvement.

View attachment 839033

View attachment 839041

A Guy
Did you get the 350-317 A.Guy?

And you said go oil-free right?

No love for K&N ? Selvini ? Or any others ?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
As soon as the AirRAID on the 2017 is CARB certified, I plan on buying it. I live in MA and they follow CA emissions standards. Last time I checked the AirRAID site, it still said not legal in CA

Can't you just throw it on and swap it out at inspection time?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes. Just would prefer not to have to do that every year. Hoping it comes through soon. I'm not in a super rush

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
Did you get the 350-317 A.Guy?

And you said go oil-free right?

No love for K&N ? Selvini ? Or any others ?
I got the 352-210 as I wanted the Black filter. yes, dry filter. 2017's same parts, but as mentioned, no CARB EO# yet (awful late in the year for them to not have it yet?)

https://www.airaid.com/search/appse...=2016&make=DODGE&model=Challenger&engine=3.6L

Looked an K&N, and R2C, liked the R2C, but the Airaid was just easier, and has a better filter.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,730 Posts
There's some debate about whether or not the aftermarket CAIs improve performance on a stock 3.6L. They usually improve the sound of the engine at WOT, but since the stock air intake setup is already a CAI by design, the aftermarket ones can be of negligible value as a performance mod unless they somehow do something the stock ones don't.

In my experience, the aftermarket CAIs won't have a big effect on your car's acceleration or MPG if they are the only mod you install. Once you start to do other performance mods along with it, then some added performance will become noticeable with the aftermarket CAI.

But even then, you really want to have a hotter tune that's adjusted for your specific car to squeeze every little bit of possible performance out of all the mods.

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the 352-210 as I wanted the Black filter. yes, dry filter. 2017's same parts, but as mentioned, no CARB EO# yet (awful late in the year for them to not have it yet?)

https://www.airaid.com/search/appse...=2016&make=DODGE&model=Challenger&engine=3.6L

Looked an K&N, and R2C, liked the R2C, but the Airaid was just easier, and has a better filter.

A Guy
Ok I was asking as there is a definite difference in design (and price between the models available:

317:

And the 210:

Any ideas on the differnce overall?

And Oil Free correct?

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
But even then, you really want to have a hotter tune that's adjusted for your specific car to squeeze every little bit of possible performance out of all the mods.
Nuke,

I've had tuners in the past. What is stopping me now is the 2015+ engines need a modified PCM too that costs $600. Then when you add in the price of the tuner, you are in the $900- $1000 territory total. I don't don't know why I had no problem spending $500 on the tuner in the past, but spending twice that now gives me a reason to pause and cool my heels...Unless someone has spent the money and can say it's worth it?? I'll be sitting on the sidelines for now.

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
Nuke,

I've had tuners in the past. What is stopping me now is the 2015+ engines need a modified PCM too that costs $600. Then when you add in the price of the tuner, you are in the $900- $1000 territory total. I don't don't know why I had no problem spending $500 on the tuner in the past, but spending twice that now gives me a reason to pause and cool my heels...Unless someone has spent the money and can say it's worth it?? I'll be sitting on the sidelines for now.
I keep forgetting about the PCM caveat for adding a tuner to the 2015+ models. That is a kick in the pants for sure. I doubt I would be able to justify that extra cost myself, yet now that I've had tuners on both my Challengers, I can't imagine NOT having a tuner with my next one (presumably a 2015+).

Is that always going to be a thing, or will DS eventually crack the encryption (or resolve whatever the roadblock is) and make this caveat unnecessary at some point?

Reactions: blind187

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
Ok I was asking as there is a definite difference in design (and price between the models available:

317:

And the 210:

Any ideas on the differnce overall?

And Oil Free correct?
The bottom one is the type I have, you see it's just a dam, it's mostly open on the side. The other is 360° and conceivably seals against the hood, so all air is drawn from underneath like the stock air box. I doubt there is much real world difference between the 2. It's about looks and sound (and the lifetime filter for me). So I got the less expensive one. A dry filter is preferable, easy to clean if you need to, no oiling obviously, and no difference in filtering I am aware of.

A Guy

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bottom one is the type I have, you see it's just a dam, it's mostly open on the side. The other is 360° and conceivably seals against the hood, so all air is drawn from underneath like the stock air box. I doubt there is much real world difference between the 2. It's about looks and sound (and the lifetime filter for me). So I got the less expensive one. A dry filter is preferable, easy to clean if you need to, no oiling obviously, and no difference in filtering I am aware of.

A Guy
Do you think the open pulls more air?

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
such a simple question, such a complicated answer...

The engine can only ingest as much air as normal atmospheric air pressure can force into the cylinders to fill the vacuum created by the pistons' downward travel on their intake strokes. So a better question would be, "does this intake setup allow the engine to fill its combustion chambers with more air than it would normally get with the stock system."

The answer is no, not by any significant amount...unless, you're talking about WOT (Wide Open Throttle) operation.

When the engine is operating at WOT, there is the possibility that this type of air intake system will allow for greater velocity of that air charge coming in, and therefore a greater volume or more complete filling of the combustion chambers.

However, the method by which your car's computer computes the amount of gas to mix with that air charge (MAP, not MAF) reverts to a preprogrammed amount of fuel based upon the estimated amount of air it's bringing in when under WOT. So because of that, any change in the amount of air the system is pulling in at WOT can be detrimental to its power output since the air/fuel mixture will not be ideal, and it may actually result in lean misfire do to the leaned out air/fuel mixture. And any misfire will bring knock retard from the computer in an effort to prevent damage to the internal engine parts, and that means less HP/TQ any time that happens.

So in that scenario, adding one of these aftermarket CAIs could theoretically bring less performance than the stock system when operating at WOT.

Having said all that, I would still recommend getting an aftermarket air intake system to most people just for the improved sound at WOT they can bring. Plus if you ever get a tuner, you can adjust your tune to account for any extra airflow at WOT and take advantage of the extra air to make more HP/TQ.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,768 Posts
I doubt the requirements of the engine would exceed either. The open one will ingest more warm under hood air. The closed one draws from the lower fender as the stock one does. Theoretically the one drawing colder air should be better, but as I say, real world, I don't know if there is any measurable difference. A Guy

·
Registered
744 Posts
I used to have a Pentastar v 6 before I got my R/T.If the Hellcat had been out then I would have gone that route and get the Hellcat Airbox/open up the headlight and buy an aftermarket dry hi flow reusable air filter.When I had mine I kind of built my own using an Air raid kit and various bits and pieces.Also modded the engine cover and added Cervini Ram Air.That Ram Air Kit only works on 2008- 2014 Challengers however.Happy Modding!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
I doubt the requirements of the engine would exceed either. The open one will ingest more warm under hood air. The closed one draws from the lower fender as the stock one does. Theoretically the one drawing colder air should be better, but as I say, real world, I don't know if there is any measurable difference. A Guy
Throughout human history there are countless examples of previously unknown individuals sacrificing their own time and effort in an attempt to advance the greater good of humanity at large...

- Eli Whitney
- Madam Curie
- Martin Luther
- Joe Dirte
- @A Guy????

Yes, even though my list is likely replete with misspellings, that last entry is no mistake. For this is one of those times, and you, @A Guy, are one of those people!!

Seeing as your fancy-smancy 2015 has a 0-60 timer built in to the EVIC, you can very easily provide some real-world data for this discussion. Simply make some 0-60mph runs with your aftermarket CAI in place, recording the times and conditions. Then recreate those runs as closely as possible but with the stock air intake system in place, recording the results of course.

And then report back your results, and we shall all sing your praises!!

:blueblob::drink4::wiggle::bigthumb::kiss:

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
I used to have a Pentastar v 6 before I got my R/T.If the Hellcat had been out then I would have gone that route and get the Hellcat Airbox/open up the headlight and buy an aftermarket dry hi flow reusable air filter.When I had mine I kind of built my own using an Air raid kit and various bits and pieces.Also modded the engine cover and added Cervini Ram Air.That Ram Air Kit only works on 2008- 2014 Challengers however.Happy Modding!
Nice!

So tell me, the body color on that Challenger wouldn't happen to be TO (PVG) would it?

I miss mine so much... :crying:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts