Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm running a stock R/T other than a drop in K&N filter. I have been playing with setting with a predator, and have not yet tried any of the CAI tunes because I've heard mixed advice on the topic.

Some way that CAI tune is OK with a drop in K&N and will provide benefits. But since a K&N provides minimal airflow compared to the stock filter, is it good to use the CAI tune? Could it lead to problems?

As a side note, with the 91 program at a WOT run down the highway - wow! It was pulling like a mofo once the revs got up there. Its hard to tell how much of this is for real and how much is just in my imagination, but I liked it. I tried the 93 program but ran into some traffic so could not go balls-out, but it seemed to be pulling just as hard if not harder.

Anyone have any dyno charts for the predator stock / 91 / 93 on a mostly stock R/T?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Dude you might as well do the cai tune, you already got the drop in and the predator. Its not going to hurt anything, and your not going to lose power, your actually prolly running a little lean having the drop in and not the cai tune.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Hey Big Bear what up. OP Big Bear is on. Go ahead and do the 91 CAI tune. Youll be fine. I like the 91 tune better. On the street it seemed smooth compaired to the 93 tune. At the track I tryed both,,, he!! tryed all of the tunes. I seen no diffrence in the 91 v the 93 tune. The very few hp apart it didnt show in et or mph.
From stock to canned tune yes et diffrence.
Canned tune to DCX depot custom tune, YES et and mph diffrence.
Give Tim C a call at DCX depot. Tell him Flat Top sent ya. Send them your stock tune with a data log and have one built for your car. Re send a log for a clean up, your set. Thats a diffrence your butt dyno can feel.
FT

·
Registered
772 Posts
You will be running way Rich with the CAI tune you should use the 91 tune and data log to make sure you are not getting any ST knock

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried all of the tunes. 93 tune seems kinda uneven and surge-y. I may go back to 91 non-CAI tune and try it for a while.

With any of the tunes, I sort of feel like there is a "flat spot" between maybe 3000-4000 rpm. The engine pulls hard off the line, then sort of deads out for a bit, then surges with power up to the redline. Is this to be expected?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
What's the consensus on this? I've been running the 91 CAI oct tune for over a year on my R/T, which has the SRT8 intake setup and a K&N, and I've had zero problems, other than really nice gains, especially at WOT. The normal 91 oct tune feels flat, with a lot less punch at WOT due to less fuel. Is there a chance I could be doing damage over time using the CAI tune with my intake setup? I would assume that if the A/F ratio was off the knock sensors would trigger a CEL?

Another point, I am probably bringing in more air with my Fastman throttle body, so maybe that would compensate for the extra air I would of had with a CAI. Thus making the CAI 91 tune safe. Just a theory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts