Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Black(metallic)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I finally got enough saved to buy a challenger of my own. All be it a TorRed 2010 SE. I've begun customizing and I just cant decide whether to get a color matched spoiler or go with black... any opinions?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It goes against my religion but I love the look of a color matched spoiler. I'd do to my car if I had hair 1.

Reactions: Nubs

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,491 Posts
Depends on the rest of the car...if it has black wheels, blacked out grill and /or other trim pieces, then a black spoiler would blend nicely with that and draw that contrast to the rear of the car from most angles. If however, the car has chrome clad wheels, with more of an overall classic look, then the color match red spoiler would look more at home imho.
You can always search online for pics of other challengers with those variations, to get a real world comparison.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,488 Posts
Yep, if the spoiler is the only black piece on the car, it will draw the eye because it sticks out.

Ideally a body modification should compliment the overall visual profile of the car. So when you or someone else looks at the car from a distance, the main thought the car’s looks should induce would be something like, “Good looking car!” or “I love the way those cars look!”

If the rest of the car is red and only the spoiler is black, you run the risk of onlookers instead thinking “cool car, and it has a black spoiler…” or “I wonder if that car came with the spoiler or he added it later…

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
29,043 Posts
If the black spoiler matches the lower cladding and fuel door (if it's black), then I like that look. If body color, I like it, but not nearly as much
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel

A Guy

Reactions: Donniet53

·
Super Moderator
16,033 Posts
It depends on your color scheme. The rear spoiler on my 2009 SRT came standard in black. I love how it complements my carbon fiber hood stripes, front spoiler, rocker panel cladding and interior and how it contrasts with my Hemi-orange paint. The designers did it right (see video, below). Also, the spoiler is reminiscent of the one on the original 1970 T/A.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Watch this designer interview at the 2:30 minute mark.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
486 Posts
...I love how it contrasts with my Hemi-orange paint. Also, it is reminiscent of the one on the original 1970 T/A.

View attachment 1040996

View attachment 1040995
Agreed, I also replaced my body color R/T spoiler with a black Hellcat spoiler because it breaks up the bright White Knuckle paint. Gotta think even more TorRed on the back of the car would be pretty bright.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Agreed, I also replaced my body color R/T spoiler with a black Hellcat spoiler because it breaks up the bright White Knuckle paint. Gotta think even more TorRed on the back of the car would be pretty bright. View attachment 1040997
I love the way your car looks in your sig. Thus far I’m shocked at the results of this poll. I don’t know what this world is coming to?

·
Premium Member
10,488 Posts
Agreed, I also replaced my body color R/T spoiler with a black Hellcat spoiler because it breaks up the bright White Knuckle paint. Gotta think even more TorRed on the back of the car would be pretty bright. View attachment 1040997
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

You, sir, have been DISQUALIFIED!

The OPs car doesn’t have any black stripes or graphics that the black spoiler could compliment.

·
Premium Member
10,488 Posts
How would this car look if it had a black spoiler: better, worse, or the same? (rhetorical question; only meant to provoke internal dialogue)

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Window

·
Premium Member
10,488 Posts
With no black hood stripes or side stripes, the color-keyed spoiler looks best on this car.
Thats my position on the OP’s car. If it’s all TorRed and lacks any other black panels or graphics (except for the rocker panels), a body color spoiler makes more sense than a color contrasting one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Depends on the rest of the car...if it has black wheels, blacked out grill and /or other trim pieces, then a black spoiler would blend nicely with that and draw that contrast to the rear of the car from most angles. If however, the car has chrome clad wheels, with more of an overall classic look, then the color match red spoiler would look more at home imho.
You can always search online for pics of other challengers with those variations, to get a real world comparison.
Like this?

- Bill D

·
Premium Member
10,488 Posts
Like this?

- Bill D
DISQUALIFIED!!

the black fuel door and smoked taillights, while certainly complimenting mods, disqualify your car from the arguement.

On an unrelated note, I would have thought those taillight covers would run afoul of at least 1 California DMV ordinance. Do the LEOs there not give you any static for those?

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
I like a black spoiler without stripes but with stripes I'll take body color.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I prefer black. It's a personal taste thing. My stripe-delete 09 SRT8 was red with a black spoiler and it had a CHROME fuel door from the factory. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! It came with black trim and black wheels.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like a black spoiler without stripes but with stripes I'll take body color.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes! This is exactly what I want to do with mine! Can the standard Hellcat spoiler be painted to match the car color?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts