Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you veteran Challenger owners, what advice would you give to new owners? What to do? What no to do? So far I've read and understand "be careful where you park your car". Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The sheet metal is very thin so be careful about that. Remember this IF you have kids running around the car. Are you planning on modding the car or keeping it stock?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ya door dings suck…. be careful where you park it. Unless your getting at the fact that they are the hot new target for car thief's …. that too….. and last its an attractive car so when people are attracted to your car be careful what you have inside because you may find yourself a broken window.

Also if you've never driven LSD in wet before…. be very careful in moist dewy or rainy conditions…. it will come around on you in situations like a freeway on ramp

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWB, I'm planning on mods, I think the only power output mod is the CAI, if I ever get the T/A Scoop plenum ordered. It's back-ordered and I'm #75.

Other Mods I can think of is having the fog lights match the temperature output of the HID headlights, and when possible the 2015 brake light swap.

I'd like the flat-bottom steering wheel, and there is a chrome bezel around my shifter, I'm going to paint translucent black on it, for a 'black chrome' look. I think the paint I'd use is similar to the tail-light darkening paint.

I'd like to add a front and rear mounted camera, to a DVR, with a switched/shared output to the radio's screen.

I'm unsure at this point what the % output benefit of SRT's Brembo's are to the R/T's Blacktop's brakes, if it's worth the cost vs. performance.,,,but I like the black Brembo's.

Oh yeah, a nice radar detector thingy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd reiterate the thin sheet metal - be careful when you're waxing the roof, especially if you use a D/A machine.

As for brakes the big benefit to the Brembo's is the repeat-ability/anti-fade of them. The actual stopping power will be limited by tire traction anyway, so if you aren't going to race/track it, you can get 99% of the benefit by switching to more aggressive pads.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Do spend some time discovering your car with TC in semi-off mode...preferably on a familiar road, enough clearance for "mistakes", and not particularly populated with traffic.

For you automatic owners, similar guidance...take some time to explore the car using autostick. Learn your ratios and where your powerband starts. At least once in your life, be on a clear hwy at 50 mph or so, then drop the hammer and revel at how fast you are crossing 100 mph. :browsmiley:

Don't granny-drive the car to try to save gas. You won't save gas like that. ;)

If you want to really know your car, explore the subject of heatsoak and how to minimize it on your car. It opens a whole new dimension of what your engine can do in the summer months.

If you are not used to parking big cars and you find yourself riding up on a curb one day, back out, but come down *REAL* easy. Ride the brake pedal to slowly come back down. If you come down hard, the car will come down on its suspension, and the plastic rocker panel may contact the curb (with a cringing sound not unlike a 2 L soda bottle being crushed).

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
FWB, I'm planning on mods, I think the only power output mod is the CAI, if I ever get the T/A Scoop plenum ordered. It's back-ordered and I'm #75.

Other Mods I can think of is having the fog lights match the temperature output of the HID headlights, and when possible the 2015 brake light swap.

I'd like the flat-bottom steering wheel, and there is a chrome bezel around my shifter, I'm going to paint translucent black on it, for a 'black chrome' look. I think the paint I'd use is similar to the tail-light darkening paint.

I'd like to add a front and rear mounted camera, to a DVR, with a switched/shared output to the radio's screen.

I'm unsure at this point what the % output benefit of SRT's Brembo's are to the R/T's Blacktop's brakes, if it's worth the cost vs. performance.,,,but I like the black Brembo's.

Oh yeah, a nice radar detector thingy.
Get a catch can, a 180 degrees t stat and a tuner to adjust the fan settings and have the car run cooler. That is IF your dealer is okay with mods (might not be with the tuner though). I wish I can do that but my dealer is too "anal" when it comes to mods. I guess I'll have to wait for the warranty to run out before doing any of this.

The chrome bezel around your shifter is a magnet for scratches, you are better off painting it to avoid the scratches.

You are going to really benefit from the front and rear mounted camera in my opinion, these cars definitely need them. I'm planning on ordering them for my car soon.

If you are planning on racing the car you are going to love the brembo brakes. I have tried them on an SRT and they are unbelievable better than the standard ones on my R/T.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
1. Get a catch can. You wouldn't believe how much it actually captures.
2. Wet roads can be like driving on an ice rink if you get my drift (no pun intended)
3. Look before you change lanes, everybody likes to hang in your blind spot and stare.
4. Park it really far away from the mouth-breathers who will dent you with their doors.
5. If you have a high impact color, you will get a lot of attention from cops.
6. Don't neglect maintenance. These cars need some engine love.
7. Be prepared for stupid kids and others trying to race you. Take them to the track where its safe.
8. Take the scenic route! Every time you take your Challenger out on the road its a new adventure. Get the most out of it and don't look at the mpg... its bad.

Cheers!
Brendan

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Best Advise:

Process all the advise that you get, then do what you think is usable advise!
And by no means believe the advise that you get here on "Best Exhaust Systems"
just remove your resonators and add some exhaust tips!!!! Save your money for other mods.

Just saying.....................:bigthumb:

·
Registered
101 Posts
- Blind spots are a killer
- Ez on the mods - you will get bored with them, you'll spend too much money on a car the bank still owns & you will have problems (the factory setup is just fine)
- don't get anal, you won't enjoy the car as much - afterall it's a Dodge, built in Canada with Mexican & Chinese parts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I can't believe I forgot to mention the blind spots. As the guys mentioned, be careful about that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts