Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiz the question....I'm getting my first car SRT8 (black) and plan on keeping the car for a long while but I live in Washington State where it rains most of the time. What are the pros and cons of driving in the rain? At this time I don't want to drive in the rain. But...I wouldn't be driving much then...thoughts??

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I HATE getting caught out in the rain in the Challenger... It means I'll have to wash her ASAP, as I can't stand to see her dirty.

You have a Black Challenger? Black only shows the dirt/water spots/ swirl marks that much more.

My advice, get a 2nd car and try not to drive your Challenger in the rain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think you want to drive the car. Even though it rains a lot where you live, you bought it anyway. You want to drive it--it wants to be driven...I say drive it and have fun!!!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
mines a daily driver- unless it rains. then i take the beater. the rain just makes a new car look old really fast

·
Registered
105 Posts
Depends. Did you buy it to drive it or buy it to look at in your garage and tell people about it?

Water won't hurt it. I drive mine year round.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't afford several different cars for different times of the year or each change in the weather. Even if I could, I wouldn't. Why spend that much money buying and insuring a car if you're going to keep it parked in the garage most of the time and not be able to enjoy it?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tiz the question....I'm getting my first car SRT8 (black) and plan on keeping the car for a long while but I live in Washington State where it rains most of the time. What are the pros and cons of driving in the rain? At this time I don't want to drive in the rain. But...I wouldn't be driving much then...thoughts??
As you already know if you don't drive in the rain living in the Northwest you won't be driving very much.

I drive my Black SRT8 year round, even in the snow. I wash my car at least every week and at least 1/2 the time I'm washing it in the rain.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I can't afford several different cars for different times of the year or each change in the weather. Even if I could, I wouldn't. Why spend that much money buying and insuring a car if you're going to keep it parked in the garage most of the time and not be able to enjoy it?
That's why I own a "beater". When I need to run to Lowes, the mall, the airport, I drive the beater. When the weather calls for rain, snow, hail, I drive the beater.

When it's sunny and I don't have to worry about crowded parking lots, I drive the Challenger... She stays clean and door ding free; I stay happy!

:)

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
A slightly different aspect to consider is how much confidence you have in other people in your area driving in the rain. You may have excellent control of your Challenger, and it may be rock solid stable in the rain (traction-control engaged, of course), but on a wet street, you are still a 4000-lb sitting duck. You won't be able to dodge and weave that tank on a dime to evade these other jokers who are death on wheels. So it becomes a question on how much anguish you can tolerate seeing your pride and joy getting tweaked in a rear-ender or offset collision... If you have another (expendable) car to drive in the rain, wouldn't your day be a whole lot better if an incident happened to involve that car instead of your new Challenger?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why would you buy a vehicle and not drive it??? That makes absolutely no sense to me? Please explain.
My first new car...havent decided to keep the mini van or trade it. Every one here at work is telling me NOT to drive it in the rain to keep it nice and clean.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
It's going to be difficult to avoid driving in the rain in Washington State, so you might not really have a choice.

If you can, keep the minivan, to avoid having to park the Challenger in crowded parking lots. No one likes door dings!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
my IE is my 'special occasion' car...no rain, no snow

i drive it weekends to parks w/ kids and out to eat week nights

i know my cars been driven in salt between Dodge plants and on salty roads on a car carrier, so its not salt free or rain free.....but it is from this day forward...

if its a 'special' car then rain=no way

if its a daily driver that you plan to replace in 5-7 years then go for it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh where the weather is about comparable to the northwest... rain is the norm 4-5 days a week. Wash/detail it regularly, undercarriage at least every other wash, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Did you buy it to drive it or buy it to look at in your garage and tell people about it?
Exactly.

Accidents happen. Rain, dry, sun, fog, day or night... doesn't matter. Don't let your car be a garage queen. Daily drivers have more fun. ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Tiz the question....I'm getting my first car SRT8 (black) and plan on keeping the car for a long while but I live in Washington State where it rains most of the time. What are the pros and cons of driving in the rain?
Since you've committed on the Challenger SRT consider:
"What are the pros and cons of living in Washington State with a wonderful car?"

1 - 20 of 75 Posts