Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which way do you lean on fluttering from quad tips?

• Pro Flutter

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Anti Flutter

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you all think about flutter on exhaust, especially you Zoomers supporters. Do you like the sound of the flutter?

Why or why not? Place your vote above.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Just curious what you all think about flutter on exhaust, especially you Zoomers supporters. Do you like the sound of the flutter?

Why or why not? Place your vote above.
I would have to go with a "Neutral Flutter" if that were an option. I don't dislike the sound, I think of it as a snarl from a dragon and then once it breathes fire it's ALL EXHAUST. On the other hand having a cleaner sound without the flutter would expose more of the Zoomer rumble, especially at idle.

I can ONLY hear flutter on my car if I am standing BEHIND the vehicle when it's fully warmed up. While driving, even with the windows down, sunroof open I don't hear any flutter.

I am planning on doing an $8 muffler cement fix to see if this can get rid of the flutter. I'm more curious than anything... if it gets rid of it good, if not, I am still a happy Zoomers owner! :icon7:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
i would be no flutter.. that was the one main reason i didn't go with zoomers, and then have to spend the 375 for the tips that may or may not fix the issue.

but that is why we have options.. some like it.. some don't

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I don't hear it inside the car. I never had the OEM tips on my Zoomers as I just changed to the MOPAR quads when I put the Zoomers on. So, is there flutter with the OEM tips???

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't hear it inside the car. I never had the OEM tips on my Zoomers as I just changed to the MOPAR quads when I put the Zoomers on. So, is there flutter with the OEM tips???
I can't say for certain but I am thinking not very much. The real reason I posed the question is because I am on the verge of purchasing the Zoomers and want to know what people think about fluttering in general. I know that the quads give it that. As of now, I am leaning toward keeping the OEM tips, because the sound is more pure.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
I don't care the flutter, but I'd rather live with it than having their "anti-flutter" tips.

I just do not like the way those look. :blah:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
This is getting to be a good topic, just out of exploring the gamut of words used to describe various exhaust sounds, which together, describe the full character of a given exhaust brand (short of hearing a sound sample under various modes of operation).

I would add these for the exhaust word dictionary...cackle, crackle, and also rhythmic staccato vs smooth tone.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts

Yes there is, but you have to be behind the car, at idle, that is the only time. You cannot hear it at idle in the car, not a big deal really

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is the winner! No fluttering quad tips for me! By the way, I ordered my Zoomers exhaust yesterday. You all played a part in my decision, so I thank you for your input. Now comes the joy of waiting for Mr. UPS Man.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Hey Guys,

Don't go hating me on this, but the flutter makes it sound cheaper to me. Not how it suppose to be in my book.

Like the motor is miss firing or not timed properly. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Roost. My mistake. I should have posed the question as this: Are you pro quad tips, or anti quads? The fluttering from the tips are amplified. Just wondering what people thought but I got a chance to hear them. I personally prefer the OEM tips over quads.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I believe it's the split in the center of the tips (Such as quad tips) that redirect the gases, causing a fluttering sound. Tips without one (Such as OEM) exit hole will have significantly less flutter as the gas has more room to exit without redirection.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey that's my car! :headbang2: You're going to love it. :cheers:
Ha! Told you, your car is my inspiration. I am sure my wife is glad we don't live near you. I would probably be spending more time and money on my car than I am already.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts