Yes or No to Side mount exhaust

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at several vendors and can't seem to find what I like so I'm making new fiberglass rocker panels to accomidate a side mount exhaust.

What do you think of a side mount exhaust good or bad idea.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Someone here on the board has a blue Challenger with side pipes, personally I think it looks good although I am not brave enough to try it myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My opinion and that is all it is. I wish dodge would have came out with it from the factory. It would great on my mopar exterior package since I added the rear louvers and white letter tires. It would be so much more old school. Again just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think it looks wicked, but the only way id put a set on mine would be if i had small rims with large profile tires, have the car at pref higher than stock ride height, and have them 45ed out the back with rounds. Completely oldschool. Otherwise, i think itd be too much hassle with ground clearance. Just my .02

·
Registered
972 Posts
Are you thinking of full-on sidepipes (like the link above) or just having the exhaust exit to the side (presumably in front of the rear wheels)?

I'd absolutely vote yes for the side exit, but I'm not so sure about the full sidepipes - they always seemed more Corvette to me. That being said, I love the look, either option is chock-full of the cool factor, so I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

As someone else said, executing the side exit tastefully is an art. Looking forward to seeing the results if you decide to go this route.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I like the look of deserthorizons setup but I would have some concerns with how the front portions of the pipes will look after a few years of road debris being kicked up by the front tires.

Now if the OP can do a clean FG side skirth with the back end opened up for a pipe to come thru - that to me would be the best possible setup. If I am not mistaken, there is a mustang running around town here with what I just described. (see below)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Forget Mustangs, CT member Rhino did something like this. I'm not feeling the angle of the pipes, but I think that's close to what you meant.

ETA: uh-oh, read this:
Side exit on these cars will cause problems. It's too low, you'll never get over a speed bump without dragging it. If you live where it snows the condensation from your converters producing water will ice up on your wheels, just ask ford 96 F150. The heat from the exhaust helps the tire deteriorate faster, trucks a motorhomes that have it in front of one tire and not the other, this was always the tire that shredded on a long trip, not that it went bad every trip but when one blew out it was the pipe side. It's difficult to hang the tip, to support the outside weight and the fact that you'll be putting a few thousand pounds on it every time you run into something.
They may look cool on show cars but not at all practical on a daily driver. Roush has had these on mustangs for ever, every one gets ripped off.

My2c

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses. I'm doing something similar to the pic of the mustang with the exhaust popping out just in front of the rear tires.

I took off the plastic valance to make a fiberglass mold of it. I'm in the process of copying the original then I will build it up and shape it to fit the tail pipe. My concern is ground clearance as I'm not willing to raise my ride height. The exhaust tip that I'm looking at is Description: 7.75" x 1.875" Rectangular Stainless Steel Tip 2.5"inlet or may see how the original will work.

I need to mock it up to see what I can fit.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Ok, if you already have the plastic side valances off, what does it look like underneath there? What I am curious about is if there is any room behind the valance for a pipe?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very tight that is why a round pipe will not work transitioning from the under side going over the lip. But if I go from round underneath and then go to rectangular it should fit.

We will see.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
some would argue that it's an old school vette look vs challenger look.
deserthorizons pulled it off very well IMO and his challenger looked great
some hated it though...my advise is do what you like because in the end not everyone is gonna love it regardless

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I like the look of deserthorizons setup but I would have some concerns with how the front portions of the pipes will look after a few years of road debris being kicked up by the front tires.

Now if the OP can do a clean FG side skirth with the back end opened up for a pipe to come thru - that to me would be the best possible setup. If I am not mistaken, there is a mustang running around town here with what I just described. (see below)
Sweet set up, I'd imagine it would have to be heat wrapped inside the tube or the plastic and paint would eventually discolor and melt

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Very tight that is why a round pipe will not work transitioning from the under side going over the lip. But if I go from round underneath and then go to rectangular it should fit.

We will see.
Depending on the available room and layout of the side valance, I was curious if the side pipe could be contained within the valance. As it seems, that is not an option. Your thought of a rectangular "exhaust tip" is basically my other thought. The custom made tip would extend from the round pipe under the car, out past the lip, then curve up and back. Should look pretty good depending on the metal fab work.

Best of luck with the project and look forward to the results.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, it will. Be a work in progress.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow did some searching and this is sort of what i'm doing

1 - 20 of 30 Posts