Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20200710_200031.jpg
Mornin all, well recently I've found out my new baby is 1 of 7 ever produced for Canada.
Now the issue I'm having is with that production rarity...do I mod her or enjoy her stock?

She's had a borla atak exhaust system installed on her by a previous owner, it's the only thing that's not stock on her beside the interior chrome trimmings and accents.

I need some opinions. I'm of the mind that if I do mod her anymore I will keep the OEM parts in storage for later if ever required. To be able to do a full restore to factory if needed.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
936 Posts
View attachment 997991 Mornin all, well recently I've found out my new baby is 1 of 7 ever produced for Canada.
Now the issue I'm having is with that production rarity...do I mod her or enjoy her stock?

She's had a borla atak exhaust system installed on her by a previous owner, it's the only thing that's not stock on her beside the interior chrome trimmings and accents.

I need some opinions. I'm of the mind that if I do mod her anymore I will keep the OEM parts in storage for later if ever required. To be able to do a full restore to factory if needed.

What do you all think?
What model year is it? Manual or auto? How many miles on the dash?

I honestly wouldn't count on these cars being as rare/collectible/desirable as the old E-bodies in the future, so mod to your heart's content. You could keep the stock parts in storage, that might be a good idea.

Those 5.7's take to mods really well because they're somewhat detuned from factory. And you have a pre-'15 car meaning you don't need an unlocked PCM, lucky you!

There's a number of roads you could go down. Do you want to just do simple bolt-ons? Do you want to get into the engine itself? Stay NA or go forced induction?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,470 Posts
Are you saving it for the next guy? :D I know it's "rare", but it's yours, if you have a hankering to mod, mod away. Most mods are reversible anyway, and I wouldn't expect some great premium over other cars if/when you should sell it. It could be worth more to that right person of course, it's not a color that everyone wants, not said in a bad way.

A Guy

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
360 Posts
IMHO, that is an invalid question for a car so new. Find me an original survivor 1 of 7 Challenger from 1970, now we can have a debate about making modifications.

I really hate to put it in these terms, but this really comes back to being a math problem. How old will you be when these cars are considered "collectible"? Let's say you are in your mid 20's right now. You will be well in to your 70's when that car is a 50 year old collectible. Will you even care at that point? Maybe brag to the other old guys in the retirement home about the cool Challenger you never drove and saved from being modified?

Okay, so you struck a chord with me on this... My dad had an original survivor 1965 factory fuelie Vette that he never drove (less than 800 made). Sat under a blanket. Went around the block and got the gas tank topped off every summer. It was a bragging thing...'look what I have'. I didn't want it - it wouldn't be original if I modded it, and to drive it was to risk it. Ended up going to a collector. So yeah, the 'next guy' is enjoying it.

Original survivor cars are purchased. They are rarely 'made' over a lifetime of ownership.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
429 Posts
Your car, do what you want.
I've done a handful of small mods.
Love my exhaust stock for example. It's loud enough ,just changed the tips. Didn't like the square rectangles.
I did save the stock tips but there's nothing else I'm doing that needs saving lol.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
193 Posts
I think these times show more than ever life’s too short. Go enjoy your new Challenger to the max and mod to your heart’s content😀

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
OK, you have me stumped. What brand truck is that behind the Challenger? I'm in the market and that one looks sharp. I've been waiting for Ram to either make the new Dakota they've been promising or a full size standard cab 5th Gen. But they're dragging their feet so I must look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It’s not a rare car in that it will have any significant value in the future. Dodge allows so many options that it’s pretty easy to not have a ton of cars built exactly the same, especially with an unpopular paint color or option.

Rare cars back in the day might have had an engine option that cost as much or more than the original car so very few were bought because of price even though the engine was extremely desirable.

Mod away.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
429 Posts
OK, you have me stumped. What brand truck is that behind the Challenger? I'm in the market and that one looks sharp. I've been waiting for Ram to either make the new Dakota they've been promising or a full size standard cab 5th Gen. But they're dragging their feet so I must look elsewhere.
Looks like the new Ram

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Looks like the new Ram
maybe it's the angle of the photo but it looks smaller like a mid size truck to me. But you're probably right. Too bad they're so damn big. Too many miniature parking lots around here, like we're short of land or something.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
403 Posts
It's 1 of ~1000 Furious Fuchsia R/Ts - so what. (Don't get me started on the "No, it's 1 of only 11 - with auto, white interior, no sunroof, navigation, engine block heater and full-size spare tire.") It just means there's more dark pink ones out there if you happen wreck yours.

If the car were somehow to ever be of value it'd be well beyond your lifetime. It's your car, right now - mod it, drive it, enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I'll take a different approach here. Are you on a budget? If so, once you start down the modification rabbit hole, it can be difficult to stop. You'll see something someone has done here, or at a car show, and want to do the same thing. So if you are on budget, keep it stock.

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
132 Posts
Well, my 09 SRT is relatively rare, but I did not buy it to have it stay stock, It's as close as I can get to one of my favorite cars, so I'm slowly modifying it to that state, always remember, its your car, put your own spin on it :cool:

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,956 Posts
Bolt on stuff, go for it. Anything that can easily be reversed and/or sold off separate like wheels. Just keep the original parts. Anything other than that, you will be probably reducing the value a little, but it is your car, make it how you like it. If you are trying to change something to impress others, you are wasting your time and money.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Supercharge it and be done
Prochargers and Edelbrock E-Force superchargers tend to work really well with the 5.7's. The pistons are also tougher than the 6.4's; the stock bottom end can take 7 to 8 PSI and around 500whp before you have to start worrying; the Procharger is also easier on internals and the transmission because of the gradual buildup of boost.

Only thing he'll have to be really careful of is the tune and fuel quality. He'll definitely want to talk to someone who specializes in Mopar to put together a 91 or 93 octane tune for him (depending on what's available in Canada).

·
Registered
799 Posts
IMHO, that is an invalid question for a car so new. Find me an original survivor 1 of 7 Challenger from 1970, now we can have a debate about making modifications.

I really hate to put it in these terms, but this really comes back to being a math problem. How old will you be when these cars are considered "collectible"? Let's say you are in your mid 20's right now. You will be well in to your 70's when that car is a 50 year old collectible. Will you even care at that point? Maybe brag to the other old guys in the retirement home about the cool Challenger you never drove and saved from being modified?

Okay, so you struck a chord with me on this... My dad had an original survivor 1965 factory fuelie Vette that he never drove (less than 800 made). Sat under a blanket. Went around the block and got the gas tank topped off every summer. It was a bragging thing...'look what I have'. I didn't want it - it wouldn't be original if I modded it, and to drive it was to risk it. Ended up going to a collector. So yeah, the 'next guy' is enjoying it.

Original survivor cars are purchased. They are rarely 'made' over a lifetime of ownership.
I think it is a valid question.

I also don't think a car has to be 50 years old, to be collectable or desirable. Hell, they are considered "Classics" after 25 years old. There are many modern cars that are desirable (some border line collectible) that are less than 20 years old.

If I was in the market for a used Viper, Z06 Vette, BMW M3/M4/Z4, Ford Lightning, Ford Cobra Mustang, Shelby GT500, Shelby GT350, Mustang Bullitt, Challenger/ Charger Hellcat, Camaro 1LE/Z28/ZL1/SS, BOSS 302 Mustang ect.... I would be looking for the cleanest, lowest mileage, factory stock car I could find/afford.

I listed the car models above in no particular order. They quickly just came to me.
I'm sure I could list at least another dozen if I gave it a bit more thought.

Point being that they are all special cars in their own way. The older I get, the more I appreciate that.
Personally, I would keep the mods to a minimum, and be sure they were reversible. Goes with out saying that you keep all original take off parts.

The Vette story is a sad one.
Many car enthusiasts would give their left nut to have been able to drive and enjoy that Vette.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
479 Posts
I'm of the mind that if I do mod her anymore I will keep the OEM parts in storage for later if ever required. To be able to do a full restore to factory if needed.

What do you all think?
Good idea.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
669 Posts
There are A LOT of low mileage well maintained Challengers from RT's to Demons lurking in garages across the planet. Challengers have been manufactured in the current configuration for 13 years I think it unlikely that Challengers (except for Demons) will bring big numbers in our lifetimes. It's you car, do what you want with it, enjoy it, make yourself and others happy by sharing your ideas. Saving the OEM parts is always a good idea for many reasons. Enjoy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I always say the same. Enjoy the car man, drive it and mod it if that's what you want. Life is short and tomorrow is not guaranteed. I guarantee you will get more joy and bigger smiles when driving it around, than it sitting in your garage while you only look at it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts