Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,869 Posts
That's a Cool color/car and Congratulations on getting your Dream car!

As far as modding goes (and speaking from LOTS of experience), you should do what you want to do.

If you're going to mod, do it because you want to do it, not because we said that you should or shouldn't. Your thoughts are good in that any mod that you do can be easily reversed, but do a mod because it will bring a smile to your face. We can't tell you if that will or won't happen, but if it makes you Happy, then it can't be that bad (Sheryl Crow's words, not mine :D)!

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
438 Posts
View attachment 997991 Mornin all, well recently I've found out my new baby is 1 of 7 ever produced for Canada.
Now the issue I'm having is with that production rarity...do I mod her or enjoy her stock?

She's had a borla atak exhaust system installed on her by a previous owner, it's the only thing that's not stock on her beside the interior chrome trimmings and accents.

I need some opinions. I'm of the mind that if I do mod her anymore I will keep the OEM parts in storage for later if ever required. To be able to do a full restore to factory if needed.

What do you all think?
My wife has a Furious Fuchsia and the original exhaust is sitting in my garage. $100 and it's yours if you come pick it up.

Hers is heavily modified and has won many trophies.

I think she does 13.6 in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thought I would take a moment and just clarify something. I'm not "anti- mod".

If the OPs car was a base R/T with cloth seats in a solid white/black/silver color, (and I like white/black/silver cars) I would surely be looking into customizing it.
Wheels, tires, stripes, Katzkin interior, exhaust...they would all be considered.

In the OPs particular situation, he has a loaded R/T with a cool/limited color interior.
It already has stripes. It already has the good looking "Crager" style wheels.
It already has an aftermarket exhaust.

To top it all off, its painted in arguably one of the wildest exterior colors ever offered by Dodge.
So in this case, if it were me, I would keep a very short list of mods. A tune, quality high performance tires and an aftermarket shifter. Just easy bolt ons.

I would definitely drive the car and enjoy it.

The OP didn't state that he needed any more power.
If its power he is after, then that opens up a whole other topic for discussion.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
leave it alone, buy another one to mod, you really can't have too many Challengers, can you? Unless you are garage space limited, then I suppose you could always rent space to keep one in and rotate them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do the mods you would like, keep all the old parts so it is complete if needed. I have a 1967 Porsche 912, bought when I quit SCCA road racing. Gutted interior, put in a roll bar, modded motor, turned it into a Auto-X car. Many people have told me it should be restored to stock. In current state it is probably worth less than half what a stock one is worth( even with the $$ spent on wheels,carbs,headers,racing seats,fiberglass bumper& ducktail). I wouldn't change a thing, the next guy can make it stock, but I will enjoy my " Carrera Tribute", and drive it to it's limit every chance I get.

IMG_20200229_114210995.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
234 Posts
I think people who say "do what you want" are just not helpful. Clearly your here asking because your not sure what you want to do and your asking for advice.

My advice, keep it stock and drive it for a few months before you do anything to it. You might find you like it just fine. While not being the fastest Challenger, the 5.7l is still very quick. But if your like so many of us (including me), if you have the mod bug it's hard to ignore and if mods are done right won't detract from the value of the car but make the car more fun to drive.

The issue with modern cars and keeping it for collectable value is with cars that are produced in the large numbers that the Challenger is its hard to tell what will be collectable. The Classic Challengers are collectable because they were only made for a few years and there were small numbers made. As for the new Challengers, I'm of the opinion that only the Demon, Redeye, and Super Stock will be highly collectable (as they already are). Some Hellcats might be but I don't think the value on those will go up, they just won't depreciate as fast as the lower models. I have a Scat Pack, plan to keep it and pass to my kids, but I dont think it will become collectable even in their life time.... But who know really.

I will say this, there were very few 70-74 Challengers made in Pink and that is now a collectable color.... for people who like pink cars.

Bottom line is that your car and my car will likely never make "collectable" status. They will become "classics" some day, but classic doesn't imply collectable.

I say mod away if your so inclined. For piece of mind, keep the original parts, no reason not to.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
I think people who say "do what you want" are just not helpful. Clearly your here asking because your not sure what you want to do and your asking for advice.
I have to disagree, if he didn't want to mod, there would be no reason to post this thread, he'd just not mod :) I believe the question was more about the "rarity" of the car, and would it be better for it's value to not mod. The "do what you want" crowd is saying, it's not that rare, most mods can be reversed in any case, have at it...and I agree

A Guy

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have to disagree, if he didn't want to mod, there would be no reason to post this thread, he'd just not mod :) I believe the question was more about the "rarity" of the car, and would it be better for it's value to not mod. The "do what you want" crowd is saying, it's not that rare, most mods can be reversed in any case, have at it...and I agree

A Guy
The way I read that statement is: do what you want. Like, mod it or not, it's your choice.

The reason I read it that way is I see that a lot on different forums (car and non-car) when someone is asking for help. The question is A or B and people's reply will be "do what you want".

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
Our forum would never do that! They'd say Google it :D

A Guy

·
Registered
234 Posts
That sounds about right. But sometimes it's something of opinion and not fact.

My point was if they meant "it's not gonna be collectable, mod it if you want".. then that's what I would read as advice. To the point, not vague. But I also have a tendency to half ass read replies, so there is that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Stick on as many pink painted interior parts, bulbs, and anodized aluminum underhood accessories as you can find and park it next to the rows of chrome flame stickered PT Cruisers at Carlisle.

Am I doing this right?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts