Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the challenger community and looking for opinions. I Just bought a 2011 RT with only 10,000 miles on it. The car is in absolutely mint condition. My question is, should I keep it all original or should I make some modifications? This is not an everyday driver and I plan to keep it forever or at least a very very long time.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Generally unmodified challengers have a better resale value but since you are planning to keep it forever or until the rust Gods make an appearance then I say heck yah. I really doubt these cars will appreciate as the 70's muscle cars have...although I would love to be proven wrong. Just know that if you are looking for more HP, it takes significant funds...anywhere from $50-$100 per HP (really depends on the power adder and if you will be doing the work yourself).

·
Premium Member
9,259 Posts
Congrats on your new R/T! It's a great platform to build from if you choose to add mods. The good thing is you have a pre '15 so you do not have to get an unlocked PCM. My first three mods have always been a catch can, cold air intake, and an exhaust.

Enjoy your Challenger :)

- Alexis

·
Registered
394 Posts
Search the forum, a lot of great information on different mods. Catch can, intake, exhaust and tuner for your RT would be by advice. Also, run good oil and run good fuel (top tier, Shell V-power once you tune it for 93Octane).

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you decide to go down that road, just make sure you do your homework and find a time tested Mopar shop with a good history of performance work on our cars. No canned tunes or multi night stays at Joe's Garage. I even recommend shipping your car out of state if that's what it takes to get a good shop on board.

·
Super Moderator
12,563 Posts
The mod bug may make your question moot ;) Congrats!

A Guy

·
Registered
968 Posts
Mod away!! There is nothing more satisfying than making a car truly "yours". These Challengers look so good from the factory that they aren't as "mod needy" as most other cars, but there is still a lot you can do to customize it.

For exterior "visual" mods, you can do things like wheels, stripes, etc... Custom wheels make a HUGE difference in the overall look of the car.

I'm more of a stock kind of guy in regards to the interior though. Really, the only thing I mod on the interior are audio components (speakers, amps, DSP's, etc).

Then, of course, there are mechanical mods. Again, I don't really modify that aspect, but if you're into that, there is a lot you can do there...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I agree with the catch can mod. Simple, cheap, and effective. Keep in mind that if you change your mind about keeping it "forever" as you put it, performance mods make it harder to sell. Buyers fear a car like this has been hot rodded and tend to gravitate toward cars that were left totally stock. Sad because so often, enthusiasts who like to mod are also the ones that take good care of their cars.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is this serious?! Always mod lol.
Start with some light wheels and tires.
Then do cam/heads/headers.
Then spray it.
Then before you know it, you have a 60k racecar to have forever

When in doubt, mod it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
In my 37 years of driving and modding every motorized vehicle 2 wheel and 4 wheel I'll offer this. Here are some lessons from near 10 years and 154k miles on my 2010 R/T. The 2010 models with AT had that big damned suitcase muffler so I went with a Flowmaster Force II cat back exhaust. No regrets, love it, and it still sounds great. Being a 2011 you should have two separate mufflers so save a few bucks and have two Flowmasters or another brand of your liking installed. Every muscle car should have that old school rumble IMO. A cold air intake is moslty for show and slightly more growl. That said I have the K&N CAI with an Amsoil dry synthetic filter. If I had it to do over I would leave the stock air box and install a Charger intake tube (no fugly wart). Lastly, a tuner. I bought a used Diablosport Predator many years ago. There 93 octane tune with a quality 93 octane gas makes for a decent wake up of some slumbering ponies. Whatever path you choose they are great cars stock or modded....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the Challenger community. In my opinion, if you plan on keeping it for a very long time you may as well personalize it and make it the way you like it. I would make it my own and enjoy every minute of ownership and not worry too much about resale value. There are a lot of mods you can do that can just be removed and put back to stock if you felt like it if you ever decided to sell it. Enjoy! :)

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
I’m new to the challenger community and looking for opinions. I Just bought a 2011 RT with only 10,000 miles on it. The car is in absolutely mint condition. My question is, should I keep it all original or should I make some modifications? This is not an everyday driver and I plan to keep it forever or at least a very very long time.
To mod or not to mod, that is the question...’mod’ would be my answer, but ‘how much?’then becomes the question.

Are you mechanically inclined?
If yes, are you planning on doing the majority of the work to implement the mod(s) yourself?
If yes, then mod, mod, and more mod!
If no, then maybe start with a mod of the exhaust(replacement with aftermarket mufflers) for more aggressive WOT sound, and then go from there, if at all.

As time and miles go by, you may find you want to mod for more performance, or you may have no desire to mod at all. It’s up to you how much you want to do. If you plan on keeping the car (as opposed to selling later), the mods won’t be a hinderance later down the road like they would if resale were a consideration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a recent retiree, first order of business was to personalize my 2012....
Magna-Flow axle backs, Mopar shaker hood kit, new wheels (had a leak anyway), spoiler swap, modeled up the '70-'74 pistol grip shifter and modified to fit the contemporary shaft. (3D printed to check fit, out for fab!)
Next: brake upgrade, tuner, and maybe headers and full exhaust change.!

Enjoy,
Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Congrats on your Challenger! I ordered my new 2013 R/T for 27k. At the time Scat Packs weren't available so I decided to build my own (sort of). Like you I plan on keeping mine for a very long time and using as my nice weekend car.. Mine just turned 14k miles and still has new car smell. I added the Borla cat back, cold air kit,oil catch can, pistol grip shifter and wheels. I decided I wanted more power so I installed an Edelbrock supercharger at 9k miles back in 2015. I went with the Edelbrock because I wanted to keep the car emission legal and have room for more power in the future with a smaller pulley and custom tune. It made a HUGE difference! Be warned HP/ boost is very addictive. The more you get the more you will want! Life is short,enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
As a recent retiree, first order of business was to personalize my 2012....
Magna-Flow axle backs, Mopar shaker hood kit, new wheels (had a leak anyway), spoiler swap, modeled up the '70-'74 pistol grip shifter and modified to fit the contemporary shaft. (3D printed to check fit, out for fab!)
Next: brake upgrade, tuner, and maybe headers and full exhaust change.!

Enjoy,
Eric
View attachment 978671
View attachment 978672
Awesome another fellow 3D print enthusiast. BTW I have posted some stuff on thingiverse that I have used on the challenger (gauge pods).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mod away! Current production, do what you want. Personally a Co-Part auction car front or rear smack is really the modder dream, no rules, salvage title, no resale worries.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
My vote is to make the car what you want...mint or otherwise. Mint and great condition certainly be attractive in a sale down the road, but not compelling as there will be enough of these Challengers around to limit overall market value. I've seen it before with my rather nice Gen 4 Camaro.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
16 Participants
Gopher Baroque
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing