Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....i get up this morning and start my challenger ..the outside air temp is -17º.i put my hand under the door handle on the drivers door and there is hot air pouring out from under the door handle.i believe its used to melt any ice on the handle.am i smoking something or is this a little known fact?????

·
Registered
535 Posts
:weed:Must be some good stuff

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm betting there is positive pressure inside the car from the heat running if recirc is off. The air finds someplace to escape and the door handle may simply be a convenient exit point. Or it's a really cool feature.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Never heard of that.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Two weeks ago I opened my garage door and when the moisture in the air rushed into my garage it covered my car with fog. After running for about 10 minutes I went back out and saw exactly what you are describing. I am not sure if this was something that Dodge planned, I more think it is just a desgin flaw, but it does work.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
49 Cadillac had side window defroster that also thawed front door handles. Dad's 55 and 57 Coupe Deville didn't have that feature.

·
Premium Member
9,671 Posts
Two weeks ago I opened my garage door and when the moisture in the air rushed into my garage it covered my car with fog. After running for about 10 minutes I went back out and saw exactly what you are describing. I am not sure if this was something that Dodge planned, I more think it is just a desgin flaw, but it does work.
If it was intentional it would be pointed out as a selling feature.
If Dodge was that bright they wouldn't have owners with frozen windows and other issues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
either way...this has been a great winter car.the traction control wont let you get into too much trouble,and this 5.7 hemi really warms up quick.the car kicks ass all the way around....I will buy another!!!!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
That hasn't ever happened to me. I live in Midland and it's been cold enough to cover my car in ice. Never had the door handles breathe warm air on me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've noticed air coming from the handles before, but it isn't always warm. It is just whatever the air temp in the car is. I suspect what others have mentioned is the case. Just happens to be a spot where there is an air leak.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
I'm betting there is positive pressure inside the car from the heat running if recirc is off. The air finds someplace to escape and the door handle may simply be a convenient exit point. Or it's a really cool feature.
ding-ding-ding! We have a winner...positive air pressure from the cabin is leaking out wherever it can find it.

Similar thing on your house...any gaps or openings, it will leak out. Easier to notice when outside air is significantly colder than interior/conditioned (warmer) air.

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
Our cars have heated side mirrors but not door handles. That's a good idea, however.

Just out of curiosity, how long were you running your engine before you noticed the hot air escaping from the handles?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts