Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 SRT with an A5 trans. Last yr I had a edelbrock eforce supercharger installed and dyno tuned.
I stressed to the tuner I wanted a safe tune. So I'm making around 485 hp to the wheels. My concern is that the tuner says if I drag race it I'll blow the axles. I'm also concerned about my drive shaft and transmission. I should mention the I have nitto drag radials on it.
After going sideways at 50 mph while trying to pass a slower car the RSAs had to go.
What does everyone think? Would I be ok?
I'd really like to hear from someone who really knows from experience.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I would be concerned more about Torque than H.P. as a good hard launch with good tire bite, (just what you want to launch a car), might bust a half shaft. That is the weak point of the rear. If you want to drag race, get the car back halved with either a 9 inch (ferd) or preferably a Dana 60, (still Mopar). Then it will be tubbed to get larger tires, more bite.

·
Registered
125 Posts
lose the drag radials for street use. They may be legal but have no sidewall for turns.

I think you be Ok but beware you are near the limits of the car. Even my SRT has engine limits due to the pistons being soft.

Its an auto so your launches are softer than a stick car. If you want get the Spohn Performance rear links and put in the upgraded half shafts at the same time.

The driveshaft is probably Ok as well, and the A5 can handle the power.

But do not add any more power without major upgrades to the drive line. Otherwise all you will do is litter the starting line with metal / oil.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Automatics are easier on the drivetrain by far, pull up to the line give the car a little foot brake tension and go.

A stick shift car gets up to the line and the entire car is relaxed and when the clutch is dropped all that relaxed drivetrain now is being moved quickly and all the "slop" in the drivetrain is ran up against a stationary car. This is where the breakage happens.

Automatics with some foot brake will be way easier on the car parts, the initial shock is not there and your not driving the "slop" in the driveline against the full weight of the car that sitting still like the stick cars.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have mentioned that it's a weekend car and I have never raced it before. My son had been pressing me to race. It will only be a one time thing. Maybe a couple of runs down the track. I'm going to be driving it to the track so I don't want to be stranded. I'm well aware of the difference between a stick and a automatic on drive train. I think I might just roll into the gas. I don't really care what kind of times I run. My son is racing also so I guess I'll just make some memories for him. By the way he has a caliber srt 4 making over 600 hp to the wheels. He's going to be the one to brake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts