Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the car ceramic ceramic coated this week, that'll cost 1000.00... They want another 1000 to X-pel the bumper, half the hood and 2 mirrors... 1600 for a full wrap of the front, and fenders... is it really a necessity? or will the ceramic coating be good enough? Mine is a WBSP..... I'm not drag racing it

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
The coating is for shine and water shedding/resistance to chemicals, etc. The XPEL is for small rock chip protection as well as resistance to chemicals and small scratches. The ultimate is coating over XPEL, but it is pricey. It's really about what your wallet thinks :) If the shop is highly skilled, you won't even notice the XPEL is on there, but with it's self healing properties, all but a large rock hit will not get to the paint. XPEL Ultimate is warrantied for 10 years. These films do not yellow these days.

My car is not a daily driver, and spends less time on the freeway. Just over 12,000 miles 1 decent chip on front of hood (touched up), and some salt particle sized spots on the bumper. Only noticeable right on top of it. Luck of the draw?

A Guy

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I would definitely do it, especially if you have a dark color.

Paint work is so expensive now, and they can never really factory match it either so that whole route is never satisfying. If you can afford it, I would do it.

I have my whole front bumper done and patches behind the wheels in addition to splash guards. Only chips I have are on my hood, should have laid X-pel half way up that too I guess...

All the people with widebody models say the areas behind the wheels gets destroyed right away - so don't wait too long.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I did my bumper but did not do the hood. 3 years later I wish I did the hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,331 Posts
I've been debating on the X-pel Ultimate too.

That's a good price for the whole hood, fenders and I'd guess bumper too. The best price that I have gotten was $1700, which included the front bumper, entire hood both front fenders and the a-pillar/roof front too. I thought that this was more than fair considering he was going to trim the x-pel over the factory silver stripes.

I can't help you much on the ceramic coating stuff but I would think that the pricing would depend on which coating that your installers was using and how long they say that it will last.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would definitely do it, especially if you have a dark color.

Paint work is so expensive now, and they can never really factory match it either so that whole route is never satisfying. If you can afford it, I would do it.

I have my whole front bumper done and patches behind the wheels in addition to splash guards. Only chips I have are on my hood, should have laid X-pel half way up that too I guess...

All the people with widebody models say the areas behind the wheels gets destroyed right away - so don't wait too long.
I did my SP just like this as well. entire front of car to the doors including the hood and the back quarters that would get the tire spray. Just put on the mud flaps today. If you want to keep your factory paint looking show room good while still driving it daily this is really the way to go. As a guy stated they dont yellow over time anymore so you only see the xpel lines when the car is dirty. I have to look very close and know where the seems are to be able to tell it was coated. The PPF cost 2k for this for me and the ceramic coating the entire care was about the same. PPF seems to be way more expensive however for protecting the paint its the top of the line. Looking at it another way the ppf is 8mm thick so can deflect a whole lot more from your paint then 3-4 microns of protection the coating provides. Another think like A guy stated they are really for 2 different things. One protects your paint one is used for water protection and shine. Used together they compliment each other and work even better then on their own.

Ron

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies..
So I decided against the X-pel.... simply because I'm a man going thru a very long mid life crisis... this Challenger is like my 10-12th car in the last couple of years:grin2:.... I don't want to invest too much then trade it in for the newest latest and greatest.... I do know the ceramic coating will add a little more hardness to the cars exterior... the guy said if I decided later down the road to do it, they'd be able to do it... :grin2:

·
Registered
397 Posts
So I decided against the X-pel.... simply because I'm a man going thru a very long mid life crisis... this Challenger is like my 10-12th car in the last couple of years:grin2:.... I don't want to invest too much then trade it in for the newest latest and greatest.... I do know the ceramic coating will add a little more hardness to the cars exterior... the guy said if I decided later down the road to do it, they'd be able to do it... :grin2:
I would question the hardness of the coating or the knowledge of the coater if I was told that. X-pel wont stick to a car that has been ceramic coated. They would have to polish all the coating off and then x-pel the car meaning you would need to spend time taking all the coating off before x-pelling thus losing all the benefit of getting it coated and increasing the cost of getting it PPF'ed.
However if you are not keeping it more than a few years none of that matters and not sure I would waste the money to coat the car if I new I was trading it in 12-24 months from now.

Ron

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,995 Posts
I do the ceramic coating first (no issues with the Xpel sticking to it as the guys who install the Xpel clean/prep those areas) and then I had the XPEL put on. I just did this treatment on my '19 Sublime Shaker, I did the entire front bumper, the hood, behind the front and rear fenders and the mirrors.
Those are the high "traffic" areas that I had issues with on previous Challengers that I did not Xpel. I also install the Mopar mud-flaps, they are quite necessary for protection as well.

My Challenger T/A has perfect paint after 25,000 miles because I did this exact treatment.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
I'm not saying it won't work, but most everyone installs the PPF first, then coating over that. Issues with adhesion to the coating?

A Guy

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've been thinking about doing ceramic. What am I looking at cost-wise?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,453 Posts
It all depends. How much paint correction is needed. What product they are coating with, and how many layers. Where you are located. How good the detailer is.

$1000 (I'd be wary of the quality) - $2500-$3000 (2 stage paint correction, high end product, obsessive detailer = perfection).

A Guy

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
An important realization and I was going to say, if you are not a long-term owner, most of this is not worth it. I would still consider paint protection film up front and around the wheels though...

As far as ceramic coating pricing...it can vary alot from area to area and will be more expensive in bigger cities/markets. Of course there will also be some difference due to hours put in for paint correction and a detailer's experience. I paid $1500 for mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts