Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I became the proud owner of a new to me 2015 srt about a week ago. The car has 29k miles and the only modification it has is aftermarket exhaust (which I'm not too fond of). Anyway I'm compiling a list of performance additions and wanted to throw a catch can on but was curious if since it has gone so many miles without one would it still be worth it? Also is there anything I could do to reverse any negative affects done by not having one on? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
The forum did some extensive research on the subject this summer. The evidence was conclusive. It's never too late and yes, the catch can will enable the engine to reverse some of the effects. Check the following thread started by Evil Minion and read it carefully. See post #3 from ChallyTatum. Note: you need to sort out what is opinion vs. what is factual and supported by evidence. You will find plenty of both in that thread. Read it all. In the end, a good deal of valuable info was contributed by this forum.

CLICKY HERE

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I don't think there is a more compelling reason.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
No, not too late. Even on the stock tune, you're more likely to get knock retard coming up due to all the oil mist/vapors in the cylinder without one vs when you have one on the car. Reduced knock retard means better overall performance. Not to mention less crud building up inside your motor going forward.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
If for no other reason, you could decrease the oil/soot particulate that gets sent into the combustion chamber, contaminating the fuel and air.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,572 Posts
The forum did some extensive research on the subject this summer. The evidence was conclusive. It's never too late and yes, the catch can will enable the engine to reverse some of the effects. Check the following thread started by Evil Minion and read it carefully. See post #3 from ChallyTatum. Note: you need to sort out what is opinion vs. what is factual and supported by evidence. You will find plenty of both in that thread. Read it all. In the end, a good deal of valuable info was contributed by this forum.

CLICKY HERE
In a previous thread on catch cans, I said I would take pictures of piston tops of my challenger (with catch can & 20K miles) and GC (without catch can & 75K miles) with my bore scope. I'll try and get that done this weekend. Problem is I have an A2Speed aluminum coil covers which tends to be a pain to remove just to take out 1 spark plug. Not to mention the wife uses the GC over the weekend. That and I am lazy.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,572 Posts
Below is a pic of the top of piston number 2 (PCV dumps into the runner) of a 2013 5.7 grand cherokee with 75K miles. My challenger with catch can installed at around 13k miles (car now has over 20k miles) does not have any build up, I can even see the machining marks on the top of the piston. (don't have a pic but will take one soon)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,155 Posts
Below is a pic of the top of piston number 2 (PCV dumps into the runner) of a 2013 5.7 grand cherokee with 75K miles. My challenger with catch can installed at around 13k miles (car now has over 20k miles) does not have any build up, I can even see the machining marks on the top of the piston. (don't have a pic but will take one soon)
EEEEWWWWW!! I've never done what the BITOGers refer to as "a piston soak", but the concept intrigues me, and I have always wanted to try one ever since reading that it was "a thing" that could be done.

I nominate YOU to go first and try a piston soak on this vehicle and report back the results.

And don't forget to take lots of pics in the process!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,572 Posts
EEEEWWWWW!! I've never done what the BITOGers refer to as "a piston soak", but the concept intrigues me, and I have always wanted to try one ever since reading that it was "a thing" that could be done.

I nominate YOU to go first and try a piston soak on this vehicle and report back the results.

And don't forget to take lots of pics in the process!
LOL BITOGer? Let's just say I have a heightened awareness to vehicle maintenance. As for the carbon build-up, I was just going to try and jerry-rig a temp water injection set-up (have an extra throttle spacer that I was going to use on the challenger but decided not to implement) to clean up the pistons/valves/manifold. Although with that much build-up, I wonder if the carbon lodge into the CATS? I also want to see if I can swap out GC intake for the challenger intake (looks very similar in design) as I am sure their is plenty of residual oil in the GC intake.

BTW - this motor ran conventional oil it's entire life (dealership had a packaged oil change program) so I wonder if synthetic would have given different results.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
LOL BITOGer? Let's just say I have a heightened awareness to vehicle maintenance. As for the carbon build-up, I was just going to try and jerry-rig a temp water injection set-up (have an extra throttle spacer that I was going to use on the challenger but decided not to implement) to clean up the pistons/valves/manifold. Although with that much build-up, I wonder if the carbon lodge into the CATS? I also want to see if I can swap out GC intake for the challenger intake (looks very similar in design) as I am sure their is plenty of residual oil in the GC intake.

BTW - this motor ran conventional oil it's entire life (dealership had a packaged oil change program) so I wonder if synthetic would have given different results.
No need to worry about the cats' catching any debris with the piston soak, as all the buildup will be dissolved by whatever solvent poured into the combustion chamber thru the spark plug holes.

IIRC the piston soak originally came about as a last ditch effort to unstick a stuck piston ring (stuck due to excessive buildup along the edge) before pulling the head (giggity) is attempted. If it works, great, if not no harm done - type of thing.

But anecdotal evidence seems to support the theory that soaking the CCs in B12 or similar solvent overnight will clean excessive carbon deposits on piston and piston adjacent zip codes.

As long as you clean out leftovers good the next morning (cracking engine sans plugs and whatever fuse controls coil packs), it seems like a good way to get rid of bad car on...but you will need to verify this assertion for the rest of us obviously.
:grin2:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,572 Posts
No need to worry about the cats' catching any debris with the piston soak, as all the buildup will be dissolved by whatever solvent poured into the combustion chamber thru the spark plug holes.

IIRC the piston soak originally came about as a last ditch effort to unstick a stuck piston ring (stuck due to excessive buildup along the edge) before pulling the head (giggity) is attempted. If it works, great, if not no harm done - type of thing.

But anecdotal evidence seems to support the theory that soaking the CCs in B12 or similar solvent overnight will clean excessive carbon deposits on piston and piston adjacent zip codes.

As long as you clean out leftovers good the next morning (cracking engine sans plugs and whatever fuse controls coil packs), it seems like a good way to get rid of bad car on...but you will need to verify this assertion for the rest of us obviously.
:grin2:

Only concern I have with the piston soak is that is does nothing for buildup on the heads/valves. I have been a big fan of water injection (never tried spraying ATF) to clean engines ever since my first experience with a blown head gasket...every thing was squeaky clean. Or are there other benefits to piston soak I am missing?

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Only concern I have with the piston soak is that is does nothing for buildup on the heads/valves. I have been a big fan of water injection (never tried spraying ATF) to clean engines ever since my first experience with a blown head gasket...every thing was squeaky clean. Or are there other benefits to piston soak I am missing?
Running a bottle of fuel system cleaner (*that utilizes PEA!) in each tank of gas for an extended amount of time would take care of any fuel/carbon deposits on the valves (or anywhere the fuel touches) that the piston soak could not touch. The length of time to run the extra cleaner is certainly dependent upon how bad the deposits are, but that's really the only way I can think of to address them...the only sensible, safe way, that is.

* - examples would include the bottles of Chevron Techron and Regane Gumout fuel system cleaner. "Regane" is bolded there because it has to say "Regane" on the bottle; "Gumout fuel system cleaner" is not the same as "Regane Gumout fuel system cleaner", the non-Regane one is just kerosene and has no PEA.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts