Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out my radiator is leaking on the passenger side on my 2015 SRT 392. Looked through the paper work, it appears the original owner just let this go. So I have to repair it, didn't know if dealership is still fixing these free of charge since it's a known issue.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Just found out my radiator is leaking on the passenger side on my 2015 srt 392, looked thru the paper work appears the original owner just let this go. So I have to repair it, didn't know if dealership is still fixing these free of charge since it's a known issue.
Dealer probably won't fix this unless you are a very good customer worthy of dealer goodwill.

Thus you would essentially be asking if the dealer could on your behalf ask Dodge for some goodwill.

Up to you how you handle this. You can try for a home run: New factory radiator, dealer installed at no cost.

Or ask if Dodge will supply the radiator at no charge and you pay for the installation.

Got to ask: If original owner let this go how come your used car check out didn't uncover this leak and factor in the cost of its repair in your offer?

No need to reply. Just want to highlight how important a good thorough used car check out is.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,803 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the radiator tonight, took me right at 2 hours to get it out, didn't have to pull the front nose, not sure why one needs to, there are only two bolts at the bottom that's a little tough to get to, the passenger side lower bolt was pretty easy (had plenty of hand room with a ratchet just had to twist my arm and body in a comfortable position laying on the floor), driver's side lower had to remove the vent tube for the disc brake vent other wise put your hand up there and just go by feel with a ratchet. Not awful at all. All other bolts was easy to get to.

Got the radiator out and checked the part number 5170742AA.

the other part number 68050126AB looking at pictures is the wrong mounting tabs.

So I ordered a mopar radiator 5170742AA, this is the correct one for a 2015 Challenger SRT 392. Should get it by weeks end. So I'll have the radiator replaced and new coolant for way less than 300 bucks.

I already had the car up in the air working on the struts and coils and chaining the engine down so I just figured while I'm at it get this radiator changed out.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the radiator installed today, took about 3 hours, went in a lot easier than coming out, just took my time and took some breaks it was warm today in the shop, so I spent 240 bucks to change out the radiator, took the car to the car wash and sprayed the engine compartment out and the car, wiped it down. Kept an eye on the coolant temp, stayed right around 199 to 205 F degrees. Drilled out the thermostat with two small holes to allow air pockets to escape. I let the car run at first with no radiator cap til it was fully warmed up to let air escape out of the system and filled as needed. prior to putting the thermostat back in I filled the block and radiator with coolant then put the thermostat back in and top radiator hose.

All seems to be good I let the system pressurize up prior to letting the car down and check for leaks once it would take no more coolant with the radiator cap off while warming up.

So that pretty much takes care of the front end for now, got new radiator in, topped off with coolant, got v6 springs install, got the car lowered a little on the front, engine chained down to the frame and removed the front sway bar, I also left off the front drivers side air duct to the brake to allow more fresh air to the bottom of the air box, since i will not be using the car for road track use I feel no need to force extra air to the front brake, I can use that extra cooling air for the air box for 1/4 mile racing- so is the thought.

Now to the rear end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts