Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ha... you're gonna love this.
When I was a kid in '67, mother traded cars with a friend who owned a '65 396 El Camino. He needed her four door for a family trip. She drove it for a few days including one day that she took all us neighborhood kids to school. We giggled and squirmed as we tried not to slide back and hit the tail gate while she rowed through that four speed. It was loud and powerful. But that was 50 years ago this year. Mom never drove or rode in a muscle car since.

Four days ago, I brought this home:

Mom's not doing so well. Most days she doesn't get out of bed, except to struggle to the bathroom. Born Aug 7, 1925, she turns 92 in about a month.

Mom just got out of the hospital back in Dec, and afterwards went on hospice. Hospice discharged her recently as she's doing a little better, a huge miracle for us. We did not expect this.

Just before I bought my SRT 392, I was just bubbling over talking about it and the two of us agreed that if I bought this car, and if she was feeling strong enough, she'd like to try and get into it and go for a ride. "Getting into it" is a big deal for mom as her legs don't bend much and she has a good amount of extra... ah, let's just say there's more to hug. A small part of just why I bought the Challenger was just this: mom just might be able to fit into it. She's my world right now as I retired early from teaching to take care of her full time: the goal was to keep her out of the nursing home, and maybe cheer her up a little. She lives alone with me and I'm all she's got. This grand experiment worked, and she's indeed doing a little better.

Yesterday, the big moment came. I loaded up the oxygen bottles, got her into her favorite housecoat, got her hair combed and made her all pretty... and helped her get into the wheelchair. I muscled it down the makeshift ramp I made for the front door (one 6 inch step) and rolled her out for the attempt.

But this time I wheeled her past her beloved minivan (which I normally use to get her to the doctor's office) and up to this:

I pushed the passenger seat back a little, and reclined the seat back a little to get that monstrous bolster back out of the way. I'm not a big fan of bolsters, by the way. But I digress. The big moment had arrived. I helped her to stand up, and we got her in position to attempt to drop into the seat. Keep in mind, she's used to having to scoot UP just a little to get into the minivan. She looked at the car and said, "Wow, this is really nice." I of course, agreed. I reached down, helped her lift her left leg, we plopped it just past the door sill and onto the floor mat, and then it happened. Just as smooth as could be, she eased herself back into the seat. She said, "This isn't too bad." How I longed to hear those words. But we still had to get her the rest of the way in. I reached down, and lifted her right leg in. Not easy as the knees don't bend much, but there was plenty of room built into the Challenger to make this happen. She leaned back, then said, "Hey, look! There's a handle up here!" I had no idea. Sure enough, Dodge put grab handles above both doors. She was so happy. That enabled her to get "adjusted."

From that moment on, it was wonderful. She just loved the interior of the car.

I mean what's not to love? Then came her big moment. She said, "OK, so now let's hear the VROOM, VROOM." She kinda sucked up her lips when she said that. I pushed the start button, and the mighty 392 roared to life. I looked over at mom. Big smile. I mean big smile. We could feel that strange vibration that signaled that there was something very large under that long hood. Most of you are used to it, but she wasn't. Another "Wow."

I promised her that if she could at least try fit in this car, that I'd play her favorite song for her on that Amazing Harmon Kardon stereo. I keyed up Mark Anthony's "You Sang to Me" from my iPhone. I put the car in reverse, punched the PLAY button, and putzed about 2 mph down the dirt road to the highway.

I never did any more than crack the throttle for 125 miles back and forth to our family reunion with mom. She loved it. She loved the stereo and didn't complain much about the exhaust noise. She did say to me at one point, "You really love that don't you?" ...referring to the moment I turned off the radio to ask, "Isn't that a beautiful sounding motor, Mom?"

Anyway, you guys would be proud of me. I never jerked that car once while driving Miss Daisy. She just loved it. However, she has NO idea just what that car is capable of. And, since she worries about her only son, maybe that's a good thing.

Just call me Mr. Restraint.
Ha... I still haven't pushed the throttle past about 1/3 of the way down, or run over about 4k RPM. But all that will come soon enough. Yesterday was Mom's day. Fun time will have to wait.

Gary
Tampa

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Great story man. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how a "machine" can have such a connection between lives. Sounds like you have a very cool mom!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
This is probably one of the best stories I have read on this site, I am glad that your mother got to get out and enjoy your car with you. Heres to many more rides with "Miss Daisy".

·
Registered
863 Posts
That was a great read. Thank you! Made me feel very happy for you and Mom.
Blessings.
Tom.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Very glad to see your mom doing better.You only have one mom. My mom has hospice helping her Its very sad to watch your mom that you love so much go down hill and not much you can do about it.. Just try the best that you can.to help her Good luck with your mom

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
What a great story. I'm happy you were able to make her smile and put joy in her heart. Enjoy every moment you have with her.
Wishing you and you Mom peaceful days.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very cool story. I had a '72 El Camino SS until forced to sell it in the recession, and my Mom who was about 80 then enjoyed a drive in it when I went up to visit. The only time I have actually raced my Challenger (against a Hemi Ram) I had my 85 year old aunt, my Mom's sister in the passenger seat. She was grinning ear to ear.

At 92, your Mom takes the prize for the oldest, may she get another chance at 100!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Great story... and a beautiful car .. love the look of a white SRT with hyperblack wheels .. by the way.. you're never too old . I'll bet that car makes you feel 21 again ! I know mine does ..

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Nice story. I'm sure she really enjoyed it.

Here's mine. My wife didn't live long enough to get into my Scat Pack, but soon after I got the '09 R/T, we went for a ride. She was used to my usual speed limit driving. We're going along and I was mentioning how much power this 345 Hemi had (as compared to most other cars at the time). I slowly pulled out somewhere around here and punched it in 1st gear, quickly shifted to second, and then kept it steady once I hit the speed limit.

She then said, "do it again!" That made me smile. You never know how much someone will enjoy the feel of power these Challengers (or any of the late model go-fast cars).

Kudos to you for letting your Mom enjoy your Challenger. I'm sure she had a great time.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow.
This is my first significant post here. I'm a little surprised. I didn't expect this much response this quickly. I was a little nervous about posting such a human interest kind of a story. But as much as I love to read things on this forum, and others as well, I've always loved stories like this. Each one of us has a family and friends: I'm no different. I'm just glad to hear that someone would want to read it.

Something else is going on right now. My buddies are all asking me how fast it is, how many burn outs I've done, how many races I've won and etc.

They seem to be expecting...

Guess my track record thus far has been rather disappointing for them. They'll have to get on this forum and read about some of the escapades some of you fine fellers have had if they want to see and hear that sort of thing. I've had like one ticket in the last 26 years... I just don't drive that way. Guess I drive little more like...

...most of the time. I joke with them that I'll have to hand them the keys and they can give me some lessons. But I do indeed love several things about this thing. Like...
-- the effortless acceleration this machine has. I have yet to explore most of it, but that's fine. It may well become the first HEMI in history that never spun the tires or abused the speed limits. Time will tell.
-- the smooth clean lines. The body of this car is a genuine work of art. I was just standing there yesterday staring at it. Keep in mind that I'm still trying to grasp the reality that it's mine. This is a genuine first in my life. Still remember the moment I saw it up close and personal at the dealership last week...

-- the plush interior. It's a thrill just to sit in it and look at it. Makes me wonder why so many other manufacturers just seem to miss the boat. Loving my two tone ruby and black cabin.
-- that mind blowing stereo Can't say enough about this. I had no idea a car stereo could sound like this. Too bad my hearing is going and I can't hear treble much. But tell ya what, the bass makes up for it. Ready for this? Now I've got some good defense. When one of these young punks (I did NOT just say that) drives up with his crummy rap music (fine, I'm opinionated) and his 5000 watt stereo making my mirrors bounce, at least I can turn up the Harmon Kardon and won't have to hear it. The Beach Boys ride again !!!!! Long live the 60's. Don't laugh at me. I'm demented, I've got gray hair, and I'm going to enjoy every one of them.
--the sound of that exhaust. I was playing with the paddle shifters, just accelerating at partial throttle up to maybe 4k rpm and shifting. Oh my soul: the gazillion views I've watched about this car were wrong. I mean, in my opinion it sounded better than any other engine out there. But it's sort of like seeing the Grand Canyon. Ya have to be there and experience it. Watching somebody's video just doesn't do the HEMI justice. You know it almost brought tears to my eyes. Shut up, I know what yer thinking. But ya gotta remember I've dreamed of owning something like this since around 1966. I was 11 when I discovered muscle cars. I must have built a zillion model cars. It was the thing to do back then. That's 51 years of dreamin'. I am just overwhelmed at the sound this thing makes. I almost want to say, "Who needs a stereo?" But then, I've already explained why I won't be saying that...
--the fit and finish. My 07 Camry only dreamed of being put together this well.
--the acceleration What can I say that you don't already know? Truth is, at this point, I don't even really know myself. Never actually "stepped" on it yet.

But beyond all that, there's something different in the air at my house. It's hard to explain. It's like there's this feeling, kind of an electricity just sitting in my driveway. It still seems like a dream. I'm still grinning after 6 days. Wish I could stop. It's getting hard to sleep.

Gary
Tampa

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
One thing I noticed in your post, with all the health issues your Mom has, she has a beautiful smile on her face in both pictures.
How about you give her a big hug and kiss from all of us (took some liberty here) at the forum. I wish I still had my parents.
So, has she asked if she can drive it yet?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I noticed in your post, with all the health issues your Mom has, she has a beautiful smile on her face in both pictures.
How about you give her a big hug and kiss from all of us (took some liberty here) at the forum. I wish I still had my parents.
So, has she asked if she can drive it yet?
Thanks, Jacket. Will do. I'm going to head into her room and read her some of this stuff. Appreciate all the responses here, fellas. Thank you. Guess I should respond to at least something.
..."So, has she asked if she can drive it yet?"
Nope. Don't think she'd want to. She had to turn in her license about a year ago. Insurance was killing us because she had a valid license. I've been the chauffeur for the last year and a half anyway. But if I indeed did let her drive, it might have been a little different than we might imagine...

Gary
Tampa

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Excellent...enjoying your mom and the new car is great.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Wow! Just, Wow!

I wish my mother would have been around to enjoy these cars. She would have loved riding in them. Taking care of both my parents, and my wife's parents as they became ill and eventually passed, your story brought tears to my eyes. Now, dealing with my wife that's ill, I know just how much it takes out of those of us who care for loved ones. There are some great people in this forum and telling all of us your moms story, and reading their responses, justifies this.

Your Mom has raised a great son. Take care of her, give her a huge hug and thanks so much for sharing. I'm not a bible thumper, and I know it bothers some in this P/C world we live in, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but God Bless you and your Mom! :smile:

·
Registered
414 Posts
My Mom wanted a ride in my 1969 Charger back in 2009. 450H.P., 4 speed, 3.23 rear gear. She asked how fast did you and your Dad go? That was back in 1972, with 383 Magnum. I said wide open, 150'ish. "Don't do that, but make it go a a little bit." Rolling start, power shifted 1st, 2nd and 3rd at 6500 RPM and shut her down. Her hair was a mess, but I still got the "look", even with a slight smile.
Glad you got to take your Mom for a ride in the beast!!!!
I bought my 2016 R/T 6-speed when I was 59yrs young.☺

1 - 20 of 86 Posts