Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my opinion of 2011 V6 Challenger. Liked the Redline paint color. Dual exhaust sounds great. Liked the gauges. Getting used to the new steering wheel, car had all the controls in the steering wheel. Power driver's seat no longer has a power back. You have to use a lever to adjust the seat back, just like the passenger seat. Hate that.

I did like the new temperature controls and new trunk release button.

Power wise, I jumped on the car from a slow rolling start and to me it was a dog, just like the 2010 V6. Maybe the horsepower comes into play at higher rpms, but it didn't seem any different than my 2010 before all the mods.

The car I test drove listed for over $30,000. It had heated leather seats, heated mirrors, basic radio, Uconnect, mirror and hookup, blue tooth audio, wheels were basic stock wheels, no spoiler. Car was rather plain.

Dealer had a TO SE that said Rallye on the window sticker, but it had no stripes, no rallye wheels or spoiler.

My opinion is I will keep 2010 Rallye. When I have more time, I will test drive another 2011 V6 and see if my opinion changes on power.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks for the review. Sounds like it would be better to just buy the 2011 RT if the SE can run up to 30K, that's a lot for the V6. The RT would probably have power seats, and definitely has the spoiler, and stripes, and the Hemi.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Wow Hemiwoman... I am surprised you didn't think the new V6 was more powerful. It seems very odd that it was that price and wasn't totally loaded and without stripes and wheels. I guess I will keep mine too.... wink wink..

:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The reason there's no power back is for easier access to the back seats from the drivers side. I think ALL trim levels (392's included) will have this.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
all of the Hp improvements of the 3.6L can easily be done to the 3.5L. there is no way i would bother to trade mine in for 7 or 8 cubic inches. it would have to be a turbocharged V6 (GN style) for me to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
all of the Hp improvements of the 3.6L can easily be done to the 3.5L. there is no way i would bother to trade mine in for 7 or 8 cubic inches. it would have to be a turbocharged V6 (GN style) for me to do it.
Be serious... the new v6 is far better than the 2010. You can try to convince yourself that it isn't but you would be wrong.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The reason there's no power back is for easier access to the back seats from the drivers side. I think ALL trim levels (392's included) will have this.
Well at least the RT does have the other features. I'm glad there's drivers side access to the backseat. Don't really mind the lack of power lumbar because it's got the memory, which I really don't need to worry about since I don't have kids. And I'm the only driver so once I get it in the position I want I'm good to gooo.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. Below are mine in detail, although I have a little different opinion on the handling, steering, and engine than you:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/i-drove-2011-se-today-52153/

I think the 2011 non-powered driver's seat design will be on all trim levels now.

The SE Rallye I looked at stickered for over $30,000 and only had the Rallye package, moonroof, and the redline paint. $5,000 more will get you a better equipped R/T Classic.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The new v6 could be sporting 400 hp, but it is just not going to give the torque feel of a v8 (along the lines of what you perceive "400 hp" should feel like). The hp number only tells you that it is going to hold it out further on the top end, but it is only going to put down the same caliber of torque that has been coming from engines of that displacement, all along (i.e., it's going to feel overall very much like the 3.5 v6 it replaced, aside from revving a little stronger on the top end). If you are seeking an engine that actually "feels" more powerful (as opposed to one that only technically turns in improved acceleration specs), then torque is where it's at. Displacement is the "ole reliable" contributor to torque, outside of forced-induction. There is no cheatin' physics on this. ;) (Ok, you can get a similar experience if you ran that 300 hp v6 on a 6/7/8 spd trans and a 4.00+ axle ratio, but don't count on that coming from the dealer anytime soon)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Drove a 2010 Challenger SE enterprise rental last weekend.
Was in Santa Cruz, Ca.

I really missed the torque of my 5.7.
Plenty of pep, but driving around in the mountains it started to feel like it really lacked power. On flatter surfaces the V6 seems fine.

Next time, that I am out there, will be sure to rent the 2011 V6.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Motortrend's test of the new V6 got over a second shorter 0-60 time. Maybe you went in with too high of expectations or haven't driven the 3.5 without mods in too long to recall how quick it was. If 2010s are still on the lot when I'm ready to buy I'll test drive them back to back though.

The rallye is no longer just the stripe package which is why they now have 'challenger rallyes' without stripes or rallye wheels. It's basically the new name for the 2010's G Package. The 2010 rallye package is now called rallye appearance group/package.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I completely disagree about the power. I too test drove a 11 V6 Challenger when we purchased my wifes 11 Charger. It is more powerful you just need to know the quirks of the V6. It isn't going to take off fast unless you know how to make it faster. You have to bypass the electronic fuel ejection by simply double pumping the gas. It will take off. I showed my wife how to do it in her Charger and she loved the car even more.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went back today and test drove the 2011 SE again. This time I actually jumped on it harder and it does have a lot of power. The exhaust rumble inside and outside of the car is great. The best thing is the EVIC buttons on the steering wheel. I would kill for those in my car. It has automatic headlights and remote start. They did a nice job upgrading the car. If I didn't love mine so much, I might be tempted except for the price. I would want the stripes, wheels and spoiler.

As a Rallye you get the chrome gas cap, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter and carbon fiber trim around the radio.

Charger SE is also called a Rallye. Toxic Orange is a great color in the sun. Redline has metallic flecks in the paint like BB does.

I would say to drive both a 2010 and 2011 to make your choice.

I took a couple of underhood pictures. I will post them as soon as I figure out how to send them to my email. Plastic manifold cover is huge. Covers up most the engine. TB is in front of the engine now, not in back corner of engine.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hemiwoman here's a video of the V6. Don't want you to feel like I'm stepping on your toes, just thought that people would want to see it. Please post your pics as well because I couldn't figure out how to get my camera to zoom out.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hemiwoman here's a video of the V6. Don't want you to feel like I'm stepping on your toes, just thought that people would want to see it. Please post your pics as well because I couldn't figure out how to get my camera to zoom out.
YouTube - 2011 Challenger SE Under Hood
Thanks for the video. I just have a couple of up close pictures, nothing showing the whole engine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts