Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car came in and took delivery today - very happy! Toxic Orange Classic 6 spd STP with white stripes (hooray! dealer tried to order white but the computer would not let him so he had to pull some strings to not get the default black ones - the whole time no one knew what color stripes it would have until it arrived). It is a blast to drive. Pics coming soon...

Only question I have for the other 6 spd owners is if you have play in the shifter? What I mean is that when the shifter is resting in neutral it has about 2 inches of play left to right before you get any resistance. I do not remember my Gen Coupe 6 speed having that much .... but it was not at all the same tranny. Anyone else have some play in theirs?

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Congats, It didn't get lost or damaged on the train like some were telling you it might have. Have Fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 09 SRT8 and it doesn't have that much play while in neutral... Don't know if it's same tranny or not though

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Glad to hear it finally arrived. Many miles of smiles are coming your way man.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Congratulations man, you will not regret it! :thumbsup: I have had mine for 2 years and I can say without hesitation, that I will be getting another one.

Edit: My shifter has about an inch of play. I measured it once. After 2 years, it has not changed.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
:)Congratulations, Yogi! Mine was flagged "special authority to move" twice while on it's trip from Brampton and I fear it was due to some sort of damage. I will find out tomorrow when I pick it up from the dealer! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:)Congratulations, Yogi! Mine was flagged "special authority to move" twice while on it's trip from Brampton and I fear it was due to some sort of damage. I will find out tomorrow when I pick it up from the dealer! Looking forward to seeing your pics.
I sure hope yours is not damaged. I asked the dealer not to wash mine or anything because I .... well I have heard and seen horror stories just pertaining to washing cars at dealers. I got home and noticed that among all the dirt on it - it had a patch of dried rusty water on the roof I did not notice until I got home (due to it being the exact same color as the roof) I wiped it off using microfiber and Mequira's Quick Detailer and found that although it came off, it etched the clear coat on the roof. If I work at it carefully enough I can rub some of the etching out ... still not to happy about it though. Its very similar to how etching caused by dried egg on car paint/clear coat looks. Although, since the color is on the lighter side of all the colors its not terribly noticeable. Just one of those things that your eyes go to once they know it is there lol. Anyways - I would check for that as well if you are worried about damage. Fingers crossed for you brother...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations man, you will not regret it! :thumbsup: I have had mine for 2 years and I can say without hesitation, that I will be getting another one.

Edit: My shifter has about an inch of play. I measured it once. After 2 years, it has not changed.
That is reassuring. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully it won't cause any miss shifts at the track ;)

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Car came in and took delivery today - very happy! Toxic Orange Classic 6 spd STP with white stripes (hooray! dealer tried to order white but the computer would not let him so he had to pull some strings to not get the default black ones - the whole time no one knew what color stripes it would have until it arrived). It is a blast to drive. Pics coming soon...

Only question I have for the other 6 spd owners is if you have play in the shifter? What I mean is that when the shifter is resting in neutral it has about 2 inches of play left to right before you get any resistance. I do not remember my Gen Coupe 6 speed having that much .... but it was not at all the same tranny. Anyone else have some play in theirs?
Hey Yogi Bear,

Can you describe the free play better! Is it floppy, or springy. The Tremec 6060 has return springs that draw the pistol grip shifter back to center position. I would not say that my shifter is loose. And it does not have 2 inches of play. A video would help if you can!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Yogi Bear,

Can you describe the free play better! Is it floppy, or springy. The Tremec 6060 has return springs that draw the pistol grip shifter back to center position. I would not say that my shifter is loose. And it does not have 2 inches of play. A video would help if you can!
It is springy and dead silent. The shifter will reset to center as normal. It just has play of about 1/2 inch left of center and 1/2 right of center while still in neutral centered between 3rd and 4th without moving it enough to feel resistance and enter either the 1-2 range or 5-6 range. If I move it to the extreme of the play either way and release it, it centers as normal. I should add that this same range of play occurs in every shift gate. So if I go all the way into 3rd (or w/e gear) I can move it left and right still about 1/2 an inch in either direction. Again, if I move it to one extreme or the other while in a gate and release it centers as normal. Happens with engine on and off and while moving and not. Basically ... just has play :scratchhead:. You could also call it "wiggle room" of about +/- 1/2 inch from center no matter where the shifter is located. I just remember my GC having much less "wiggle room" ... although that was also a worthless Hyundai tranny.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
It is springy and dead silent. The shifter will reset to center as normal. It just has play of about 1/2 inch left of center and 1/2 right of center while still in neutral centered between 3rd and 4th without moving it enough to feel resistance and enter either the 1-2 range or 5-6 range. If I move it to the extreme of the play either way and release it, it centers as normal. I should add that this same range of play occurs in every shift gate. So if I go all the way into 3rd (or w/e gear) I can move it left and right still about 1/2 an inch in either direction. Again, if I move it to one extreme or the other while in a gate and release it centers as normal. Happens with engine on and off and while moving and not. Basically ... just has play :scratchhead:. You could also call it "wiggle room" of about +/- 1/2 inch from center no matter where the shifter is located. I just remember my GC having much less "wiggle room" ... although that was also a worthless Hyundai tranny.

It sounds just like mine. Sounds normal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts