Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took advantage on the unseasonably warm weekend here in the Detroit area and installed the skip shift eliminator harness, and removed the clutch delay valve. Both upgrades were great. I hated the 1-4 skip shift feature that always happened at the worst possible time, and it really is true on how much better shifting a 6M Challenger is without the delay valve. Clutch action is 1000X more consistent, and it grabs like hell now at WOT with tire spin into 4th gear :)

The b*tch of it is I had to use a generic hairpin to hold the clutch line in place, and apparently the Mopar retainer is not available unless you purchase the entire assembly. The part I ended up using is holding the line in place just fine, but a small part of me is worried that it might come loose with either our potholes or vibration from spirited driving because it's not the exact replacement part. If you were me would you swipe a goop of JB Weld where it connects to make sure it doesn't budge or leave well enough alone?

I looked on my driveway for a solid hour for the stock retainer, but it either bounced into my lawn or got hung up under the car...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would measure the diameter of the CDV connection and take a picture of the pin to Napa (see link). Heck, if you search the web enough you might be able to find a replacement.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2a0maso.jpg
Thanks, I'll check NAPA sometime this week. It's going to be pretty hard to measure the connection though because the space is so tight. I wouldn't say that my hands are really large, but I would have a hard time getting anything up in that space to measure. Anyone who was easily able to do this job is either double jointed or has freakishly small hands LOL.

Thanks for the pic. It gives me an idea of what to look for in a better replacement being that I never got to see the actual part in person.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
someone in an older CDV related post had their clip fly off - found out a VW clip was the same style and size...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Aren't spring clips "common hardware"/fasteners? Couldn't you just go to a major hardware store and buy several individual spring clips (guessing at size) and find one that fits for say less than $10?
I've done similar with roll pins (aka spring pins) and "C" clips.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Go to Home Depot they sell a long magnet on a handle walk the driveway and lawn swing close to the ground and slowly. I almost always find the parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that's the part# that I ordered from a VW dealership on my way home from work last night. In the meantime the generic hairpin(spring clip) that I got from an assorted clip and pin box from O'Rielly's is holding everything in place. I'm just not entirely confident that the one I have temporarily has quite as much clamping tension. It would probably hold for 20 years, but for less than 6 bucks I'd rather have a little more piece of mind.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
834 Posts
That's why you should always use a magnet as a backup when prying off clips. Those small telescopic magnets work great.

I've used the most random, mismatched clips you can imagine holding together automatic shift linkage in demolition derby cars and have never had a problem. I'm sure you'll be fine on the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts