Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Are you enjoying a road trip this Fourth of July weekend?

There are thousands of roadways in the U.S. to enjoy, but unfortunately, life is short and there aren’t always opportunities to drive on all of them. So we decided to pick out 10 of the best roads to experience in the U.S., with some of them offering breathtaking sights while others are simply fun to drive.
Read more about the Top 10 Best Roads to Drive in the US at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have done 3 of those, Lombard St., the Road to Hana, and the Big Sur Coast Highway. Unfortunately, none of those in the Challenger. Not likely to ever ship it to Maui, but might get back on the other two on a future road trip.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts

Read more about the Top 10 Best Roads to Drive in the US at AutoGuide.com.
Since we live in Florida , of course our first road trip in our Challenger of 4 months , was to Key West .this past January
You cross 42 bridges on the 3 plus hour ride from Miami to Key West .Its mostly 40 to 55 MPH , some passing zones where you can open it up .
A fun ride sunroof open ,windows down , music loud , stop at a tiki bar half way for lunch
Funny we saw lots of mustangs and Camaros ,, very few Challengers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Here was one stop

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
I love that drive to Mile 0. That was the first drive I did with my Challenger after returning from being stationed in GermNy this last time, two summers ago. Well, actually it was driving from JAX port down to West Palm. Here's a photo on Duck key just before 7 mile bridge. I hate when I drive some great roads and I'm not in my car. Such is life when you have the wife and kids to tote around and too much "stuff" for vacation. ImageUploadedByAG Free1467890535.736850.jpg

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
5 Out of 10.

Route 66, Lombard St, Road to Hana, Angeles Crest Hwy, Big Sur Coast Hwy

There is more roads I have been on that area equally if not more enjoyable.

Santa Ynez wine tasting, Vancouver to Whistler in the Winter, Pahrump, NV to I-15 back road

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was wondering how many Challenger owners have taken the Coast Highway that starts around Morrow Bay and goes up through Big Sur to Carmel here in California? I've taken that beautiful road on my Harley many times and it has a lot of tight curves and twists. I keep hearing how big the Challenger is so I was wondering what the driving impressions are like with the Challenger on that type of a road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was wondering how many Challenger owners have taken the Coast Highway that starts around Morrow Bay and goes up through Big Sur to Carmel here in California? I've taken that beautiful road on my Harley many times and it has a lot of tight curves and twists. I keep hearing how big the Challenger is so I was wondering what the driving impressions are like with the Challenger on that type of a road.

I've driven it 5 or 6 times. Going north is easier and the car handled it great. Southbound is scarier with the cliff in sight all the time.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've driven it 5 or 6 times. Going north is easier and the car handled it great. Southbound is scarier with the cliff in sight all the time.

I am going to have to try it out after my Challenger arrives next week. I love that road on a bike. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I know it's not in the U.S. but this was another great drive. Took me nearly a year to get to the track, but finally made it 3 days before putting my car on the truck transport for shipment back to the U.S. ImageUploadedByAG Free1468063996.948832.jpg

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
One of the best scenic drives that also includes curves is Hwy 12 from Brice National Park to Capital Reef NP in Utah. This road features fantastic cliff scenery of the Colorado Plateau country and goes through the Staircase/Escalante NM which has incredible views. The best part of the drive is on a ridge that drops off on both sides to deep canyons of sandstone.
The drive through the Dixie NF is also beautiful. The road is very twisty, but you have to watch out for cattle and wildlife on this section of the road.
I have done this drive 5 times and still enjoy it.
Highway 12 ? All ? American Highway ? Scenic Byway ? Boulder, Utah | Boulder, Utah
Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Totally agree with your vote for Highway 12 in Utah, one of the most awesome drives I've ever taken (love stopping in Boulder, UT along the way, too, and its Hell's Backbone Grill, one of my all-time favorite restaurants)! Also agree with some previous posters' votes for Glacier NP's Going-to-the-Sun Road -- awesome! :clap: Would also nominate Acadia NP's Park Loop Road, a sentimental favorite of mine.

Of the article's "Top Ten," driven three: Lombard Street, (parts, not all, of) Route 66, and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

·
Super Moderator
12,882 Posts
Lombard street, while different, is just a curvy traffic jam these days. I feel for the people that live on that street. A Guy

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I've been fortunate to drive on The Blue Ridge Parkway, The Tail of the Dragon and The Cherohala Skyway in my Challenger as they are all within 5 hours or less of our home. I've ridden on the Road to Hana in a tour bus and if its the same we were on, there is NO way I would take a car much less my Challenger on that!!! It was full of pot holes and rough ridges in the stones. It was VERY beautiful and scenic but again, not something I would ever drive my Challenger on.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Living in Denver area I get to drive a lot of great roads in the West. I think Hwy 12 in Utah is exceptional, but Hwy 50 through Utah and Nevada has its own charm. Especially the flat areas between mountains with no one on them. You can really open up the Challenger with little risk (not that I did that with my family in the car thought!)

In California, Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay to Fort Brag and further north is also spectacular. Less people on it than the more southern sections and probably more scenic. I didn't do that in a challenger, but I did do it in a Hemi. A '66 Belvedere II 426 Hemi 4sp with 5 people in the car.

I do love driving Challengers on long trips. I just got back from a drive to Long Beach, CA with my wife. 2755 miles round trip mostly on 70/15. But we did stop in Kanab, UT north of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We spent a day at the canyon and drove back on Utah Hwy 89/70.

Surprisingly, cruising at 75-80, I averaged 28 MPB and got 29 MPG on the stretch from Grand Junction to my home in Aurora. Used under 1/2 of a tank. 271 miles in the mountains and 9.35 gal gives 29.04 MPG. Not bad for a 5.7L 6sp with a bunch of luggage and two people.

Enjoy your road trip!
Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
HWY 21 from Boise, Idaho to Lowman then turn left and follow the Lowman-Banks cutoff along the Payette River (some of the best Kayaking in the world with plenty of opportunities to pull over and watch people defy death) and then turn left again at Banks, Idaho and follow the river to Horseshoe Bend, Idaho and back over the hill to Boise.

Lots of 25 MPH corners that actually mean it (Except in a sports car with big sticky tires) and scenic views make this a spectacular drive just about any time from spring through fall.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In California, Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay to Fort Brag and further north is also spectacular. Less people on it than the more southern sections and probably more scenic. I didn't do that in a challenger, but I did do it in a Hemi. A '66 Belvedere II 426 Hemi 4sp with 5 people in the car.
I definitely agree with you, I, very much, enjoyed the section of Hwy 1 from Legget to Bodega Bay, much more than from there south.
The first road trip I took by myself in my Challenger was to drive the length of Hwy 1 and then I hung a left and headed off to Tombstone, Az.

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
I've been fortunate to drive on The Blue Ridge Parkway, The Tail of the Dragon and The Cherohala Skyway in my Challenger . . .
I'm going to South Carolina in August and will make a side trip to ride the Tail of the Dragon. I will use the motorbike for this trip instead of the Challenger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
6 out of 10 here- I agree on Going to the Sun Highway for scenic. For speed and fun look up old highway 666 in Eastern AZ. Twice as long as the tail and lot more corners. Done it on motorcycle and in my Maserati Coupe GT. We had a lead car with a walkie talkie let us know if any cars were coming. I had just installed a fresh set of Michelin PSS's and they looked like 2 hard track days after that trip. Never beat up a set of tires like that on the street before. Lots of fun. The Maser and a 911 led the way playing chase the whole way. Mustang wanted to play but I broke it when I tested it top end. Blew the whole exhaust cat back off the car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts