Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the dumb looking old style white lights in my RT. I love the way the factory SRT lights look both at night and during the day. They have that blue appearance which makes them stand out.

Do the SRT's come with the same fog lights as my RT? If so, I will run HID white in them.

Now the complicated part is the regular bulbs. Is it possible to get the factory appearance with them on and off with my non HID set up? Can I get something that mounts in my current ballace? There is a ton of crappy cheap looking set ups on the street. I want something that looks as good as or better than the factory HID's. Want low maintenance quality stuff. Who are the top makers that I should consider? I would prefer them to look as close to a factory HID when they are turned off as possible. I hate euro or cheap after market looking lights.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
If you can get a factory set, go with that. You said low maintenance quality stuff is what you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there any aftermarket HID systems that will mount in my factory lights and give me better quality? The aftermarkets are 800 and from what I read require different plugs and such.

I think I will start with HID fog lights since that allows me to go with either factory projector or aftermarket later on.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Are there any aftermarket HID systems that will mount in my factory lights and give me better quality? The aftermarkets are 800 and from what I read require different plugs and such.

I think I will start with HID fog lights since that allows me to go with either factory projector or aftermarket later on.
One of the best and safest solutions IMO would be the factory HID setup like Brampton Builder suggested. Another alternative could be to retrofit quality, OEM, HID projectors into your existing housings. The downside is obviously the work and skill involved to do it right (although there are companies that will offer this service). The fact is that HID bulbs/kits do not belong in reflector housings (or any halogen application for that matter) and while they may produce more light, they will also cause unsafe glare, back-dazzle, hot spots, etc.

Manufacturers design headlamps based specifically on the light source (in this case, a particular halogen bulb type). When you change the characteristics of that source, you alter the way the optics focus and distribute that light. This is especially true for fog lamps where HID’s are inherently inappropriate for this purpose.

Personally, I would recommend going with a factory swap, a retrofit with OEM HID projectors or good quality, high efficacy halogen bulbs like Phillips Xtreme, Osram Nightbreakers, etc.

If you really want to know more about the facts on this subject, I would suggest reading the following articles:

Benefits & Drawbacks

Can I convert my halogen headlamps to HID?

FOG LAMPS

·
Registered
896 Posts
Kean, links don't work brother.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....thanks for the heads up (sorry about that). Links should be working now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts