Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 09 R/T 6m ,it has the track pac package with a getrag 226 3.92 ratio. i got 90k on it and getting alot of whine and clunking ,because i have a stick i can control it but geting tired of that. what is the issue on finding any and all info on this ? seems to be a top secret issue on whats going on inside or know one really knows ,normal is unexceptable to me. has anyone actually cracked one of these open and inspected and found the issues ? i know the whine is caused by ring and pinion lash to large, but the clunking is just not normal.looking for any info on this as well as a parts breakdown and rebuliding specs. before i crack it open .thanks all .

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have had a new 3.91 in my Challenger race car. Clunked from day one.

I had a 3.91 gutted to put in 4.10 gears for the same car. Gears put in by one of the best rear end companies in the country. Clunked from day one. It’s just the lash that the Getrag calls for. Neither have had any issues in over 70k miles combined. Lots of that racing at the strip with a built trans and 4” aluminum driveshaft.

As far as information on them go, there is not a lot out there. Try putting a call into Unitrax out of California. They are very knowledgeable on the Getrag units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: born to run

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
Check your rear cradle bushings. If they're worn, that might explain the clunking.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
A clutch car and getrags don’t play well together. I am on my 3rd one. Last one I had a one pc driveshaft from dss in and the spacers needed to put the driveshaft down in the tunnel out the pinion angle on the diff at a bad angle and knocked the pinion gears out. So it is gone

I went back to a stock driveshaft. The main issue is lack of mounting support on the front or it. Newer cars have 2 mounts in the front and on the back. Getrag has 1.
You can do what ever you want. Reality is.l no matter fear oil ect they will go bad. I put poly bushings in the cradle and the Front mount on the diff to try to help but it really is a bandage. The only fix is a 8,500 Ford 9” irs diff from dss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for the advise and input, i have a complete energy suspension kit in the rear. i also have prothane cradle mounts .i replaced the drive shaft and both yokes were tight. trans mount tight differential mounts tight.i run amsoil extreme 75/140 in the diff. im leaning towards what Newoldchallenger said. and i have also heard this before ,nature of beast. i guess at this point im looking for the exact cause of the clunking is it all in the ring and pinion lash ? that will certainly be responsible for the whining but is this also causing the clunking ? where is the actual play that is causing the clunk ? worn spiders or shafts ? worn bushings ? has anyone ever torn one down that was clunking and found out where the play is ? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
thanks all for the advise and input, i have a complete energy suspension kit in the rear. i also have prothane cradle mounts .i replaced the drive shaft and both yokes were tight. trans mount tight differential mounts tight.i run amsoil extreme 75/140 in the diff. im leaning towards what Newoldchallenger said. and i have also heard this before ,nature of beast. i guess at this point im looking for the exact cause of the clunking is it all in the ring and pinion lash ? that will certainly be responsible for the whining but is this also causing the clunking ? where is the actual play that is causing the clunk ? worn spiders or shafts ? worn bushings ? has anyone ever torn one down that was clunking and found out where the play is ? thanks
This is the bushing that can wear and cause clunking.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
The diff bushings are new.
okay yeah you may be seeing pinion/carrier bearing wear if the clunking is continuing to get worse. HalH has quite a bit of exerience with issues related to the getrag. If he runs accross this he will probably have some good input.

I went to the 4.29 gears in mine. I had the clunk before I swapped the gears, but the guy that did mine didn't find any issues with my old gears. That;s not to say the backlash could have been adjusted some but it wasn't at a point to where is was causing excissive wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts