Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hours and hours of reading this site and others and trying to educate myself on various different wheel size/offset/tire combos to figure out what look I’m after I’ve finally come to a stumbling block.

I’m not trying to do anything fancy- just want to replace my stock 20” Chrome clads with similar looking American Racing torque thrust II’s (primarily because I want a 295 tire on the back).

Everything I read says I need a 20x10 rim with 18mm offset to get the look I want and keep it from rubbing.

All well and good but when I go to the American Racing website the only option I see for the 20x10’s with our bolt spacing shows a 6mm offset (5.74” backspacing). I don’t see any option to choose a different offset.

Would local dealers be able to order a +18mm offset wheel? Wouldn’t a 6mm offset put the tire quite far outside the safe zone for rubbing? I DO like the looks of a wide stance - but don’t want it sticking outside the fenders far looking silly.
Anyone else with a 20/8 (front) 20/10 (back) torque thrust II wheel setup that could help?

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
you will be sticking too far out with +6mm offset especially with 295s. Those wheels are cast 1 pc. The bolt pattern is 114.3 which gives you the clue it wasn't designed for the Challenger.
You would need the more expensive 2pc model to get them to make the correct offset for you. What you see on the website is what they have produced for the 1 pc. The dealer can't do anything for you.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yes, the VN405..not 407.
Here are some pics on challengers...some from our members. I think these wheels look great with the step lip. If my brembos would allow, I would get these.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah...yes...I meant to say 405. Wasn’t really prepared for that price tag. But they certainly look great. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might go this route instead - the 20x10’s come off the shelf with +15 mm offset. Wonder if that would fit with a 295? Far less $$ - tho not as pretty in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
yes, those are made for our cars. The 295s will stick out a bit with the +15 but I like the look of a little poke in the back anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, yeah I do like the spacing/fitment of the wheels with +15. Just about right I think. Thanks for the pics and the info - you’ve been a tremendous help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Final question raceheart and I’ll leave you alone.

My stock rims are 20x8 with 25mm offset. If I understand currently, a 20x10 tim with 25mm offset would divide that extra 2” equally - basically giving me 1” extra on both the outside AND inside compared to my current rim. (Am I correct so far?)

If I am correct, then my question is - would that fit the car with a 295 tire? Or would the 25mm offset end up rubbing the inside (behind the tire) of the fender well?

Everyone seems to run +15 to +20...but I wondered if +25 would work or do we not have a full inch to play with on the backside of the tire?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Final question raceheart and I’ll leave you alone.

My stock rims are 20x8 with 25mm offset. If I understand currently, a 20x10 tim with 25mm offset would divide that extra 2” equally - basically giving me 1” extra on both the outside AND inside compared to my current rim. (Am I correct so far?)

If I am correct, then my question is - would that fit the car with a 295 tire? Or would the 25mm offset end up rubbing the inside (behind the tire) of the fender well?

Everyone seems to run +15 to +20...but I wondered if +25 would work or do we not have a full inch to play with on the backside of the tire?
My stock rims are 20x8 with 25mm offset. If I understand currently, a 20x10 tim with 25mm offset would divide that extra 2” equally - basically giving me 1” extra on both the outside AND inside compared to my current rim. (Am I correct so far?) CORRECT!

A +20 is a better bet for 295's. 295's should not rub at +25 unless the tire brand/model runs big and/or you are dropped low.
Not all 295's are the same width. They are used as a guide line and the tire manufacturers cheat. Either they go smaller..true 295...or larger. Think of it as buying a pair of 34" waist jeans that fit nice and another jean labeled 34" fitting tight.
It all depends on which tire brand you go with.
Also, you are not bothering me with the questions..I have been doing this for a while here ...you are more than welcome anytime with questions.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,909 Posts
All 34" jeans are tight, lol

A Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts