Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a pro-charger for my 2012 challenger RT. From what I have read, with forced induction on a 5.7, I should expect everything to break. My first question is if thi statement is true or ive just been reading horror stories about needing new engines after forced induction? If the stories are true what are the best upgrades to make to avoid no longer having an engine.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Which? TorqStorm or Procharger? In any case, the 5.7L can handle 7 or 8 psi with good tuning. At that level most failures will be due to a bad tune

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,876 Posts
I think you are confusing horror stories attributed to boosting 6.4s. The 5.7s are more forgiving than the 6.4s when it comes to forced induction...due to lower static CR and piston ring landings that are further away from the top of the piston. I have read of 5.7s running 10psi on stock internals, provided the tune is spot on (i.e. not too aggressive spark and more rich on fueling). Although it is always a good idea to go with at least forged pistons and ring gaps set-up for force induction. Also upgrading the fuel pump and injectors will help ensure the engine won't starve for fuel...which you should be using 93 octane to reduce the chance of pre-detonation.

When it comes to superchargers the centi type as used by pro-charger delivers boost in a more linear fashion (full boost kicks in at higher rpms) than say a positive displacement unit like a whipple which can give full boost at lower rpms. Also, controlling boost levels with a pro-charger is easier as it uses a BOV and the air-to-air intercooler does a better job at exchanging heat from the aircharge.

Do a search on this forum, lots of info regarding forced induction on 5.7 engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts