Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here run a torqstorm supercharger? It almost seems to good to be true to get a kit for $2800 (although you have to provide your own plumbing/intercooler/etc) when the second cheapest kit I've seen is the Vortech tuner kit at $5300.

I have a 2010 SRT8 6 speed, was just wanting to run all stock internals etc and only ~6-7 PSI non-intercooled because I was planning on running E85 for an constant ''chemical intercooling'', so this kit seems perfect for me to save over a grand on a supercharger kit but I don't want to buy it if it's junk. I saw a review of the vortech VS a Torqstorm and the Torqstorm made like 7 more HP and 20 more ft/lbs exact same setup/boost. My goal is 500whp, and I was hoping at 6-7 PSI and a good E85 tune I can get there.

So, is this supercharger just a well kept secret or is the reason I never see anyone talking about it is they are junk?

Apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet because of my post count, but if you just google torqstorm hemi you'll get there.

Edit- Oh I have a secondary question while on the topic, will 60lb injectors (rated at 43 PSI) be enough for my goals on E85? Again I can't post a link but I was looking at the Bosch 60lb/630cc injectors on ebay for $284.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks like the old Powerdyne supercharger. If you Google Powerdyne, Torqstorm comes up as well. It is not a complete kit, it doesn't have a tuner or a fuel system. Those are an extra cost. I had a Powerdyne on my old Dakota, it made power but it had to be rebuilt 3 times in under 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It does look like a powerdyne but it is completely different. It is not a reboxed powerdyne. One of the owners lives around the corner from me and I had a chance to talk to him last year. He told me about the Vortech test but I thought he said it wasn't published. Is this a new article? For what you are looking to do I think it is a good choice

He has a Scat Pack Charger and was talking about testing the kit on it but I don't know how it went. I told him he could borrow my drag radials if he needed them

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not raining in your parade! Just ask him if it has an internal belt? It still doesn't have a fuel system or a tune. I actually loved my Powerdyne, just wish it was more dependable!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,788 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the old Powerdyne supercharger. If you Google Powerdyne, Torqstorm comes up as well. It is not a complete kit, it doesn't have a tuner or a fuel system. Those are an extra cost. I had a Powerdyne on my old Dakota, it made power but it had to be rebuilt 3 times in under 30,000 miles.

I plan on custom tune because I'm going E85 so I'd rather not pay for a system that has a canned tune. The ''tuner'' system from vortech does not come with the fuel system or tune and it's $5300. The only difference is this kit doesn't come with an intercooler or pipes/plumbing but I don't care about that. I can do the pipes for $100 or so, and I don't need an intercooler with 6 PSI on E85.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not raining in your parade! Just ask him if it has an internal belt? It still doesn't have a fuel system or a tune. I actually loved my Powerdyne, just wish it was more dependable!
It does not have an internal belt. Please don't spread bad info if you don't know. I thought it was a reboxed powerdyne also but after talking to him it is far from it

There is a pic of the inside in this article

https://mooregoodink.com/testing-a-torqstorm/

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didn't know that is why I asked. It was a question not a statement. Now that I know, I'm sure it will be as reliable as any other Centrifugal supercharger. I may have to look into it as well. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody know about injector sizing for E85? All stock engine just 6-7 PSI boost, maybe ~500whp or so guessing. I was thinking 60lb injectors (rated at 43 PSI, so much larger at 59 PSI), is that sufficient?
Also, in general, how much HP is the stock fuel pump good for? And what do people do to increase if not?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm sure you are going to have someone tune it so ask them. I'm not sure if Hellcat/Demon injectors are a plug and play for the earlier cars but that would be a way to go. Hellcat are 600cc Demon 700cc

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I can get 60LB Bosch injectors off eBay for under $300, Cheapest I've seen hellcat injectors for has been like 500

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was thinking used ones $200-$300

Yeah but the brand new bosch ones are $284 shipped, and they are 630cc rated at 43 PSI which means they are over 700 at our stock 59 PSI pressure. Why spend that much on used when I can get brand new larger injectors?

Lets see if it'll let me post a link yet-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-NEW-Bosch-60lb-630cc-fuel-injectors-Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep-Hemi-5-7-6-1-SRT8/382693955392?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Yay it worked.

Anyway, still have the question about the fuel pump, what are most people doing? Since I'm doing E85 I'm sure it won't support it since that requires a good bit more flow, but I'd like to know if most people do a boost a pump or replace the pump or do an inline pump to boost flow? Like I said my goal is 500whp but on E85 thats probably like supporting 600whp on regular gas.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Coming from someone that has had a lot of tunes done. Don’t buy cheap. Issue is the fuel mapping on low buck injectors can be difficult to tune. Talk to the person tuning your car and get what they recommend. A lot of people like injector dynamics. Ya I know they are spendy. Trust me.

And typically e85 needs a much larger injector than normal for gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coming from someone that has had a lot of tunes done. Don’t buy cheap. Issue is the fuel mapping on low buck injectors can be difficult to tune. Talk to the person tuning your car and get what they recommend. A lot of people like injector dynamics. Ya I know they are spendy. Trust me.

I will call them and find out, but they are bosch injectors, typically that brand is good quality.

And typically e85 needs a much larger injector than normal for gas

Thats why I'm going 60lb injector, at 59 PSI thats a 730cc injector.....stock Demon injectors are 700cc and are good for ~900hp. My goal is simply 500whp, but I believe I should be good up to 600+ even on E85.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,812 Posts
Rise my thread...rise!

FYI saw this 2017 article where the system was tested on a hemi 5.7 although they stated the NA engine produced 514 hp and 423 lb-ft of torque and with the supercharger (10psi) it jumped to 675 hp and 585 lb-ft of torque. I wonder what they did to get 514hp NA?!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I myself will go the torqstorm route one day, but waiting to see what on3 comes out with in 2020 for the turbo setup and price. Turbos give bigger boners.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,585 Posts
I myself will go the torqstorm route one day, but waiting to see what on3 comes out with in 2020 for the turbo setup and price. Turbos give bigger boners.
Where did you hear about on3 coming out with a turbo setup? Please share the goodies! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I emailed them in August 2019,
" I think something could come out as soon as towards the middle or end of next year if we can stay on task. "

·
Registered
119 Posts
have you noticed the color of the block? looks like they used 6.4 but keep mentioning 5.7 that was their 5.7 mod:).

Rise my thread...rise!

FYI saw this 2017 article where the system was tested on a hemi 5.7 although they stated the NA engine produced 514 hp and 423 lb-ft of torque and with the supercharger (10psi) it jumped to 675 hp and 585 lb-ft of torque. I wonder what they did to get 514hp NA?!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts