Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know of the benefits of a higher stall torque converter when it comes to drag racing. I'm kind of tired of my 6.1L acting like a dog out of the hole since the power doesn't come in strong until 3000+. I'm a drag racer at heart (just see my screen name) but I've really been having fun taking my Challenger to road course track days. I know the higher stall converters slip more than the stock one and on the surface that doesn't seem like a good idea for road courses.

However, aren't there higher stall torque converters that have a "lockup" feature? And since on road courses the engine usually only lives up in the 3500-6000 rpm range, would the lockout feature minimize the difference between the stock and upgraded torque converter? Has anyone done a torque converter upgrade and taken their car to the road course and experienced problems?

In short, can I get the best of both worlds?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Six speed cars are better suited for road course racing as the auto's are for drag racing, not that it can't be done but your trying to get the best of both, kind of a jack of all trades master of none.
Tout

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
you can not control the lockup of our converters unfortunately. The biggest issue with higher stall converters and road racing is the amount of heat generated.

I have a customer with a Jeep srt8 that he road races. We did a 2400 PI converter along with an auxilary trans cooler. The 2400 is a mild bump in stall speed, but the major improvement came from the increased tq multiplier of the PI converter. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can not control the lockup of our converters unfortunately. The biggest issue with higher stall converters and road racing is the amount of heat generated.

I have a customer with a Jeep srt8 that he road races. We did a 2400 PI converter along with an auxilary trans cooler. The 2400 is a mild bump in stall speed, but the major improvement came from the increased tq multiplier of the PI converter. Just something to consider.
That sounds like a possibility. If I combine that with a large tranny cooler, that might run cool enough. What improvement did your customer experience with the 2400 as compared to stock? Is there something maybe in the 2800 stall range that I could still live with?

you can use a Mopar Performance TCM and it will lock the converter up in 2nd-5th
How does this work? Do stock converters have an electronic lockup that is not being utilized? Will an aftermarket converter have this same ability with the Mopar TCM?

Thanks, both of you, for the info.

·
Banned
804 Posts
How does this work? Do stock converters have an electronic lockup that is not being utilized? Will an aftermarket converter have this same ability with the Mopar TCM?

Thanks, both of you, for the info.
Converter will achieve a varying percent of lockup depending on what the PCM and TCM tell it to do. The Mopar TCM will make the converter achieve max lockup from 2nd gear up. This is one reason why you see much higher MPH out of cars with a MTCM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts