Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if there is a torque converter upgrade I’d be able to get for my 2015 challenger SXT 3.6L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
Do you mean a higher stall?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket torque converter I can put on my 2015 sxt 3.6L for more power?

·
Registered
15,863 Posts
I think I'd swap gears before messing with the converter. Find a 3.70 or 3.90 used rear and you'll feel a difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
All 2015 and later Challengers are an 8 speed if you have an automatic transmission. You might want to study up on your car a bit before modding.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket torque converter I can put on my 2015 sxt 3.6L for more power?

Going to a higher stall speed doesn't "make more power". It lets the engine rev easier to a higher place in the torque band - similar to slipping the clutch in a manual trans.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Stall speed and lockup are two different things.
Yes they are . In the A8 electronic lock up in the stock TCM tune happens before reaching mechanical converter stall speed . so if lock up is delayed thru the TCM tune.... the converter 'acts' looser . my Procharged A8 Scat is tuned this way in order to get into boost faster on the leave.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Yes they are . In the A8 electronic lock up in the stock TCM tune happens before reaching mechanical converter stall speed . so if lock up is delayed thru the TCM tune.... the converter 'acts' looser . my Procharged A8 Scat is tuned this way in order to get into boost faster on the leave.
Are you saying the computer will lock the converter before peak stall is reached in first gear with the brakes on? That's interesting. I tried a light brake stand in my V6 GT yesterday and it pulled past the brakes at 2400 RPM and started spinning the tire. I'll be doing a 3.90 230mm diff later down the road and if that doesn't do all I want then I'll look into a higher stall converter to help it launch.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Are you saying the computer will lock the converter before peak stall is reached in first gear with the brakes on? That's interesting. I tried a light brake stand in my V6 GT yesterday and it pulled past the brakes at 2400 RPM and started spinning the tire. I'll be doing a 3.90 230mm diff later down the road and if that doesn't do all I want then I'll look into a higher stall converter to help it launch.
Brake stall and flash stall are 2 different things. all converters have different stalls in those 2 scenarios.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts