Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those driving 6M 392...

Can TM be perceived while driving, and if so, can you describe it.

I'm wondering if it plays a role right after shifting and during the release of the clutch - sort of like a buffer that prevents a more snappy engagement of the clutch with throttle...but I really am not sure.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts

I'm wondering if it plays a role right after shifting and during the release of the clutch - sort of like a buffer that prevents a more snappy engagement of the clutch with throttle...but I really am not sure.

I've always been confused with torque management and the 6 speeds as I do own one. At first I thought it only pertained to the autos. But, I'm not sure if this is torque management or not, but when I press the ECS button off I get more wheel spin, which I would translate to more torque. So are we talking about the same thing, or did I screw your question up with unrelated crap? Lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can definitely feel it. It feels like you have lost power between shifts and it takes a moment for the motor to get full power. Which is exactly what torque management does...

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts

It will pull throttle and timing at shift to protect the drive train. Autos suffer the most from it but M6s have it as well. It feels like it pukes at shift.
Tq mgmnt effects timing, fuel, air and ABS. By turning off TC, you can remove the ABS portion of the equation. A canned or custom tune can reduce the amount of throttle and timing pulled when you shift.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Part of it is terminology To me, "Torque Management" is the deliberate manipulation of throttle and timing in an ECM program for the SOLE purpose of reducing the amount of power dumped into an automatic transmission while the clutch packs are slipping (in other words, during the brief duration of a shift).

The timing pull shown in the manual trans graphs above looks, to me, like its mostly a natural result of the drop in RPM after the shift. Lower RPM needs less advance. There may be a little extra added for margin against detonation and that could be eliminated if you know you're going to be using only higher octane fuels, for example.

When traction and stability control are both fully enabled, there's additional reduction in power when wheelspin is detected, but I don't call that "Torque Management."

FWIW.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It also uses steering sensors so that it doesn't apply as much torque around corners. Not sure on the M6, but you can definitely feel this in an auto on slow speed corners. Gas it in the corner and it has no power, once the steering wheel is pointed straight the power comes on. Push the traction control button and this effect goes away.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Part of it is terminology To me, "Torque Management" is the deliberate manipulation of throttle and timing in an ECM program for the SOLE purpose of reducing the amount of power dumped into an automatic transmission while the clutch packs are slipping (in other words, during the brief duration of a shift).

The timing pull shown in the manual trans graphs above looks, to me, like its mostly a natural result of the drop in RPM after the shift. Lower RPM needs less advance. There may be a little extra added for margin against detonation and that could be eliminated if you know you're going to be using only higher octane fuels, for example.

When traction and stability control are both fully enabled, there's additional reduction in power when wheelspin is detected, but I don't call that "Torque Management."

FWIW.
These graphs are of an auto (didn't have a log of a manual saved to my PC)
Stock tune I get about 8 degrees of timing pulled at shift (downward spike) and my B&G ECU I get around 5 degrees. Some is needed in an auto or it will ping at shift but you are correct, some is the drop in RPM as it needs less timing at lower RPMs.

·
Premium Member
2013 Calleenger
37 Posts
2013 392 Challenger ESC

I do know this.... Manual 6spd.... Cruse on in tight turn ESC will disengage the cruse, also if ESC on will pull power from under your foot while trying to accelerate through the same turn.

Owners manual states it also engages the breaks independently as needed. I do sometime forget the monster I drive with the ESC all most always on. I turn it off to get a real feel of the torque and power that I command once in a while and take a trip back to 1970 where there was no traction or torque management.

Just what torque management is.... depends on Dodge's definition that it uses in our cars.

Just sayin':icon_aetsch:

·
Registered
947 Posts
I can definitely feel it. It feels like you have lost power between shifts and it takes a moment for the motor to get full power. Which is exactly what torque management does...
This is exactly what I felt. Buying a 6-speed car, I wanted to be in control of all of that, but I guess not.

Even with a custom tune, its still very much there.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ok so what i'm i missing here, I thought having your car tuned gets rid of torque management?

ALwishes is a military school that i went to at age 7... seems the srt's can shut torque management control off completely?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I find this post interesting....I ended up actually buying an automatic SRT due to what I perceived as the torque management effecting the 6M more.

The first 392 I was "allowed" to test drive was a beautiful 2011 GWE 6 speed 392 with every option. It was actually the car/color I really wanted. The odometer on the car read 38 miles. It was pretty much brand spankin new. I test drove the car on both a crowded street, and hit the highway. I was disappointed. I still believe what I told the saleskid. I told him the RT 5.7 I drove there in would either keep up with it, it may even beat it..... He looked dumbfounded.

Then he said he had a silver SRT around the other side of the building, and it was an automatic. I was dumbfounded because they didn't even advertise it on their website or in the paper. I told him of course I want to test drive it!!

It was like driving a whole different car! Felt much stronger taking off from a light, and hauled *ss when I kicked it down on the freeway. That's why I bought it.

Now, I'm not trying to stir up one of those auto vs manual posts.....maybe that 6M GWE had something wrong with it and it was a lemon....but I thought it was torque management killing the stick car at the time....

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
I find this post interesting....I ended up actually buying an automatic SRT due to what I perceived as the torque management effecting the 6M more.

The first 392 I was "allowed" to test drive was a beautiful 2011 GWE 6 speed 392 with every option. It was actually the car/color I really wanted. The odometer on the car read 38 miles. It was pretty much brand spankin new. I test drove the car on both a crowded street, and hit the highway. I was disappointed. I still believe what I told the saleskid. I told him the RT 5.7 I drove there in would either keep up with it, it may even beat it..... He looked dumbfounded.

Then he said he had a silver SRT around the other side of the building, and it was an automatic. I was dumbfounded because they didn't even advertise it on their website or in the paper. I told him of course I want to test drive it!!

It was like driving a whole different car! Felt much stronger taking off from a light, and hauled *ss when I kicked it down on the freeway. That's why I bought it.

Now, I'm not trying to stir up one of those auto vs manual posts.....maybe that 6M GWE had something wrong with it and it was a lemon....but I thought it was torque management killing the stick car at the time....

...or maybe operator inexperience with a stick? When I'm doing 40-45 in 5th, RPM at a low and economical 1300, I'll downshift/rev match into 2nd. Torque management or not, it's like it's not there bro. Same for when I'm in 6th at highway speeds and go into 3rd or 4th, depending on my speed, F-ing thing takes off when I'm downshifting and matching the the revs. Drive it like you stole it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
...or maybe operator inexperience with a stick? When I'm doing 40-45 in 5th, RPM at a low and economical 1300, I'll downshift/rev match into 2nd. Torque management or not, it's like it's not there bro. Same for when I'm in 6th at highway speeds and go into 3rd or 4th, depending on my speed, F-ing thing takes off when I'm downshifting and matching the the revs. Drive it like you stole it.
Yep.... Must be it. I only own 2 other stick cars, and no issues with those. One has a blower on it. But I bet your car is just uber fast.

So typical. You could've just said you don't have that issue. And I'm not you're "bro" dude.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Yep.... Must be it. I only own 2 other stick cars, and no issues with those. One has a blower on it. But I bet your car is just uber fast.

So typical. You could've just said you don't have that issue. And I'm not you're "bro" dude.

Give me a break. I knew I was going to get that response. Yeah yeah you have a blower you have 10 stick shifts yada yada yada. As far as bro, I call everybody I'm friendly with that. Sorry I offended you. Oh and your right about one thing, I don't have any issues with that.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Ok so what i'm i missing here, I thought having your car tuned gets rid of torque management?

ALwishes is a military school that i went to at age 7... seems the srt's can shut torque management control off completely?
Depends on who does the custom tune as to the level of tq mgmnt removed. CMR Tuning is able to reduce it greatly where as others are able to remove more of it.

SRTs can turn ESP off by depressing the TC button for 5 seconds. ESP, TC and Tq mgmnt are three different things, I think ESP utilizes tq mgmnt and ABS, TC is mainly ABS and tq mgmnt is in the tune as to how much timing and air is pulled when the clutch is depressed or when it up shifts.
I may be wrong but that is my understanding of the three main nannies…

Reactions: salvy59
1 - 16 of 16 Posts