Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Morning fellow Challenger Lovers!!!

2016 SXT PLus with the 3.6 here.

I love the 3.6 motor, it's smooth and a great compromise of power and MPG which was why I bought it.

BUT..........

Is there anything I can do to increase the weak 268 lbs of torque without spending thousands of $$$??

(and don't say buy a Hemi smart azz!! :grin2:)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Look there, the OP increased torque 100 ft/lbs just by making this thread. :grin2:
Oops!! I knew that so.......my question still stands.

I'd like to be closer to 300lbs in the torque dept.
Since the 5.7 has 400lbs and it's only about 72hp more I would think the 305hp 3.6 could make over 300??

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Swap in a 3.90 rear end. Seriously, that would put a lot more torque at the rear wheels during initial acceleration and you'll feel like you've added power. It will add 500 rpm to your highway cruise so gotta be cool with that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swap in a 3.90 rear end. Seriously, that would put a lot more torque at the rear wheels during initial acceleration and you'll feel like you've added power. It will add 500 rpm to your highway cruise so gotta be cool with that.

Hmmm......500 rpm isn't much maybe 1 MPG lost at most........Isn't my stock SXT Plus rear about 3.07??

If you had to guess the cost of a swap like that what do you think it would be??

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Yeah, 3.07 stock. Might lose 2 or 3 mpg. A 3.90 would be about the same as 7th gear with the 3.07, check it out. On cost, Steve White and Speedlogix sells the 3.90, check the vendor section, just not sure what else you might need since the 3.90 is a 230 mm and you got a 195 mm.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, 3.07 stock. Might lose 2 or 3 mpg. A 3.90 would be about the same as 7th gear with the 3.07, check it out. On cost, Steve White and Speedlogix sells the 3.90, check the vendor section, just not sure what else you might need since the 3.90 is a 230 mm and you got a 195 mm.

You mean the connection is a different size with the 230 mm VS a 195 mm??

I'm in So Cal, I bet the shipping would kill me, Thanks for the info Slidd.

·
Registered
415 Posts
SoCal, You bought your STX because of the "3.6 motor, it's smooth and a great compromise of power and MPG which was why I bought it." It's this your DD? If so, keep it, and look for a used R/T, Scat, SRT etc for a toy. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too! Either that or...........................you know.☺

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I have been up and down the 3.6 as far as bolt on's to increase power and torque, really the best thing to do for torque is to swap rear end gears, the engine it self is only 220 cubic inches and getting a large bump in torque is next to impossible because your at 220 cubic inches.
There is a few small things you can do to give small bumps in torque thru the exhaust, eliminating cats and changing the mid pipes to 2 1/4" with no x pipes or h pipes before the middle muffler and stick with a 2 1/4" exhaust pipe cat back. Of course you can still leave the cats on and just do 2 1/4" pipe right off the cats.

You could also remove the lower intake and do just a light de burring of the intake manifold no major porting just round off the sharp edges.

Also a fastman ported tb would increase throttle respond and drop 0-60 times.

Also run the stock air box and factory filter, leaving these parts on create an artificial increase in air velocity that helps low speed torque, changing to a cai cone filter or K&N drop in filter slows down air velocity at the very bottom end of the rpm scale and many folks can feel the engine is a little sluggish down low and losses some throttle response specially under 2,000 rpms. Leaving the factory box and filter on allows you to keep the low end throttle response.

Run light weight wheels and tires and look at reducing weight on the car.

Non of these things will get you to 300 ft lbs of torque but will help.

Only thing that would really help is a sprintex supercharger even the 5500 dollar unit, leave everything stock and just add a supercharger and this will give you and nice bump in torque and enough power to out run the r/t's.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SoCal, You bought your STX because of the "3.6 motor, it's smooth and a great compromise of power and MPG which was why I bought it." It's this your DD? If so, keep it, and look for a used R/T, Scat, SRT etc for a toy. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too! Either that or...........................you know.☺
I actually have a company car 09' Toyota Corolla but I'm only "allowed" to use it to go back and forth to work.
My SXT sits covered and I use it one or two days a week for pleasure or to drive to local car shows and such, I want to keep the miles down.

Can't afford a used R/T or Scat or SRT as a toy but it would be nice.

So the SXT is sort of my "toy"

ddeenis has some good ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have been up and down the 3.6 as far as bolt on's to increase power and torque, really the best thing to do for torque is to swap rear end gears, the engine it self is only 220 cubic inches and getting a large bump in torque is next to impossible because your at 220 cubic inches.
There is a few small things you can do to give small bumps in torque thru the exhaust, eliminating cats and changing the mid pipes to 2 1/4" with no x pipes or h pipes before the middle muffler and stick with a 2 1/4" exhaust pipe cat back. Of course you can still leave the cats on and just do 2 1/4" pipe right off the cats.

You could also remove the lower intake and do just a light de burring of the intake manifold no major porting just round off the sharp edges.

Also a fastman ported tb would increase throttle respond and drop 0-60 times.

Also run the stock air box and factory filter, leaving these parts on create an artificial increase in air velocity that helps low speed torque, changing to a cai cone filter or K&N drop in filter slows down air velocity at the very bottom end of the rpm scale and many folks can feel the engine is a little sluggish down low and losses some throttle response specially under 2,000 rpms. Leaving the factory box and filter on allows you to keep the low end throttle response.

Run light weight wheels and tires and look at reducing weight on the car.

Non of these things will get you to 300 ft lbs of torque but will help.

Only thing that would really help is a sprintex supercharger even the 5500 dollar unit, leave everything stock and just add a supercharger and this will give you and nice bump in torque and enough power to out run the r/t's.
Thanks for the ideas D.

Of the things you listed which ones would NOT lower my MPG much or not at all??
(I know, I know I want it ALL) :grin2:

Whats the chance of throwing codes with the Fastman Ported TB for instance?? Or any other mod you listed?

What's the exhaust pipe size stock? Is it 2.5??

Your comments about the CAI's explain why I lost about a half to one second on my 2014 Rallye Redline off the line from 0-60 with the AIRAID CAI.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Thanks for the ideas D.

Of the things you listed which ones would NOT lower my MPG much or not at all??
(I know, I know I want it ALL) :grin2:

Whats the chance of throwing codes with the Fastman Ported TB for instance?? Or any other mod you listed?

What's the exhaust pipe size stock? Is it 2.5??

Your comments about the CAI's explain why I lost about a half to one second on my 2014 Rallye Redline off the line from 0-60 with the AIRAID CAI.

The fastman unit I bought ran an used/tested for awhile til I ported my stock unit better than fastman. It never thru a code. gas mileage should be the same or better.

I went from 2.65 gears to 3.64 and highway mileage fell from a best ever 31mpg to around 25 or so another words I have not seen anything close to 30mpg.

Exhaust pipe was 2.5" on my car-mid pipes that was necked down to 2.25" for the catback. Just replacing the 2.5" pipe right off the cats with 2.25" increased low end torque because this speeds up exhaust velocity in turn increase low speed torque. Some folks put on 2.5" catback and that will kill some low speed torque that's why I mentioned 2.25 catback,

Also you want to use straight thru muffler designs to keep velocity speeds up, using baffle style mufflers redirect exhaust gases and slow down velocity which hurts low speed torque. Another words you don't want back pressure at all like some spurt out and have no idea about exhaust flow/velocity.

Running without cats help low speed torque but you will throw codes since the cats are not there.

Intake porting or should I say deburring increase velocity and helps low speed torque, no codes with that.

To be fair about your airaid experience, I tested about 600 dollars worth of cai and stock box at the track on the same day and the stock box/filter was the slowest in the 1/4, adding a K&N drop in filter was worth .05 seconds and 1/2 mph faster over stock filter, the K&N cai intake 63 series was worth .10 reduction in e.t and 1 mph over the stock set up and the Mopar was just a tad slower than the K&N 63 series set up. I ran the 63 series for awhile because it did prove to be the best out of what I tested that day and improved on that design over time to my custom fender pull set up.

So your lost of 1/2 to 1 second in your 0-60 mph runs are not inline with controlled testing. I never saw no losses like that in a controlled testing environment even at home on my 1/4 mile mark off area when I tested 0-60 runs when using all of the rpm range of the engine.

The low speed torque losses just in normal driving was noted in the under 2k range because the cai intake systems did allow the engine to breathe better but disrupted the velocity charge down low, testing was with launches 2k and higher so those lower rpm ranges under 2k didn't reflect in the testing just driveability.

Now 0-60 mph runs on any given day will change, I have logs with no changes what so ever to the car and I have 1/2 second change in my runs just because of weather , road, and other variables that are not accounted for, even grade or fuel change from another pump station will effect 0-60 runs, so I'm just pointing this out to be fair for others who might be looking into cai systems and really want the low down on running one.

They do work -cai, no way around it, but knowing how your going to drive you car and what your looking for this information is good to have.

hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
You have to remember that it's 269 lb. ft, but that's at 4,175 RPM. It's not exactly "low end grunt". BTW, I didn't loose anything with my Airaid CAI. I did a 5.9 before the Airaid. Today in 100° weather I did a 6.0, so I don't see any loss with the CAI. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Oh man, that describes my game plan. I have a SXT+ for a daily driver, but I always have my eye out for a weekend toy. :wink3:

·
Registered
48 Posts
You have to remember that it's 269 lb. ft, but that's at 4,175 RPM. It's not exactly "low end grunt"...
I'm pretty sure the math shows any 6 will torque less than any 8, all else equal. If you think about it, torque is 'push', and you/we have less pushes per (insert degrees. minutes, revolutions, CI, etc) We have more 'inactive' between pushes, and thus will always get less total torque, compared to an V8 (or 10, 12, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,086 Posts
Yeah, a V6 having less torque is mostly a given. But it takes 4-5 seconds to get to 4,175 RPM. The point is, if you try and increase the torque, it's better than a lower number, but it's not available immediately. If you can get the torque you already have at a lower RPM, that would be a bigger benefit. But 0-60 in 6 seconds in a 4000lb car is impressive no matter what. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, THANKS folks for the input.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts