Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the torque value for the four little screws that hold the cam thrust/retaining plate down on a 2012 5.7 hemi.

I have found what I believe to be specs for the pre-09 engines [28nm-250in/lbs] and cant seem to find any thing for 09 and later. These screws are small and I dont think they will hold 250 in/lbs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the same info I found, they changed the plate and bolt size. Possibly an 11 and up thing.

The screws are about half the diamiter of the rocker bolts that they tell you to torque to 22nm-195in/lbs.

They would break or strip at 20.8ft/lbs [conversion for 250in/lbs].

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I just checked 12, same spec. If your worried clean the bolts and holes with brakeclean and apply some med strength thread lock and torque to 150 inch lbs. The rocker shaft torque is low because they don't want the shaft tube to distort.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I placed a call into MM and they had the same spec for a 5.7, but what I was describing to them and what they saw plate wise didnt add up. They them looked it up under a 11 6.4 engine and sure enough its different and like I described. The spec is 12nm or 106in/lbs.

The older engines had a stamped sheet metal plate that the tensioner bolts too. The new design is much thicker and only retains the cam, the tensioner is mounted to the block with nothing to do with the plate.

Ken, can you shed any light as to when this change occured?

·
Super Moderator
15,024 Posts
The older engines had a stamped sheet metal plate that the tensioner bolts too. The new design is much thicker and only retains the cam, the tensioner is mounted to the block with nothing to do with the plate.

Ken, can you shed any light as to when this change occured?
The '09+ 5.7 and '11+ 6.4 have VVT - those engines have the separate cam retainer plate (4 torx screws) and the plastic TC tensioner and separate guide shoe that are on the left and right sides (facing front of engine) that bolt directly into the block.

The older engines ['03-'08] had that sheet metal plate with the tensioner bolted onto it.
The '05-'10 6.1 would probably be similar as well, since that was a non-VVT engine as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, Its just that every resource from dodge for 2012 has the bolts on the 5.7 at 250in/lbs. Then they looked it up for a 6.4 and it stated the correct 106in/lbs.

Made me think that the VVT 5.7 had a revision when the 6.4 came out thats all. I guess the books just took some time to get updated or werent updated at all in the case of the 5.7.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
We haven't had any 5.7 past 11 with the cover off and no 6.4 yet, that will probably happen soon enough now that is available in the 3500.
Chrysler has burned me many a time with service manual imperfections ( for a lack of a better word) Glad you got the right info Al, I thought you had already done your cam? 392?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am putting in the cam currently, I went with a grind from MM. The 214-218. Not too big I want to gain low end torque and it should yield good gains up top as well.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts