Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they're different now, but wonder why Chrysler had them the same back 40 years ago?

Watching a show on Velocity, I think Graveyard Cars or something similar. Guy that owned the business had all the data on Dodge vs. Plymouth and one called it Torred, the other Hemi Orange, but both had the same paint code.

Anyone else know anything about this?

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
Thats the way it was then: (same color, different marketing names)

Hemi Orange / Torred

Sublime Green / Lime Light

Moulin Rouge / Panther Pink

Sassy Grass Green / Green Go

Plum Crazy Purple / In Violet

Bright Red / Rallye Red

Curious Yellow/ Citron Yella

Butterscotch / Bahama Yellow

Top Banana Yellow / Lemon Twist

another example was Air Grabber (Plymouth) / Ram Charger (Dodge) for their hood air induction systems.

Even Pontiac had "Carousel Red" which was a shade of orange.

Probably today, Torred would confuse customers thinking it was red rather than an orange color.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's just for advertising. Dodge had certain color names and Plymouth had certain names, but they are all the same paint codes.

Color Code
Plymouth Name
Dodge Name

FC7
In Violet
Plum Crazy

FJ5
Lime Light
Sublime

EK2
Vitamin C Orange
Go-Mango

EV2
Tor-Red
Hemi Orange

FY1
Lemon Twist
Top Banana

FM3
Moulin Rouge
Panther Pink

FJ6
Sassy Grass
Green-Go

GY3
Curious Yellow
Citron Yella

EV2
Tor-Red
Hemi Orange

FJ6
Sassy Grass
Green-Go

FC7
In Violet
Plum Crazy

FY1
Lemon Twist
Top Banana

Came from
http://www.rickcarey.com/ColorNames.htm
http://www.rickcarey.com/ColorNames.htm

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
Plymouth / Dodge

Thats the way it was then: (same color, different marketing names)

Hemi Orange / Torred

Moulin Rouge / Panther Pink

Sassy Grass Green / Green Go

Bright Red / Rallye Red

Curious Yellow/ Citron Yella

Top Banana Yellow / Lemon Twist

another example was Air Grabber (Plymouth) / Ram Charger (Dodge) for their hood air induction systems.

Even Pontiac had "Carousel Red" which was a shade of orange.

Probably today, Torred would confuse customers thinking it was red rather than an orange color.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Dodge / Plymouth
Originally Posted by Hal H Thats the way it was then: (same color, different marketing names)

Hemi Orange / TorRed

Panther Pink / Moulin Rouge

Green Go / Sassy Grass Green

Bright Red / Rallye Red

Citron Yella / Curious Yellow

Top Banana / Lemon Twist

Go Mango / Vitamin C
Re-Fixed ;)

Also on a side note...
Real original paint FE5 Bright Red/Rallye Red turned "Orange" in pretty short order.
If you find one that still looks RED it was either stored indoors the 1st 5 years... or it's been repainted.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Another tidbit on Mopar colors. The one color everyone seems to refer to by paint code, B5 Blue, was actually Blue Fire Metallic for Plymouth, and Bright Blue Metallic for Dodge back in 1970.

The 2010 Challengers are not B5 even though Dodge's name for the color was "B5 Blue". It's a pearl color, and the paint code is PQD.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another tidbit on Mopar colors. The one color everyone seems to refer to by paint code, B5 Blue, was actually Blue Fire Metallic for Plymouth, and Bright Blue Metallic for Dodge back in 1970.

The 2010 Challengers are not B5 even though Dodge's name for the color was "B5 Blue". It's a pearl color, and the paint code is PQD.
I had a B5 blue '73 Roadrunner. I think that's what it was anyhow. It was what I called "Richard Petty blue". Is that the same as B5??

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
I had a B5 blue '73 Roadrunner. I think that's what it was anyhow. It was what I called "Richard Petty blue". Is that the same as B5??
That is TB3 - Super Blue / Basin Street Blue

Its a bright non-metallic paint.

B5 is metallic paint.

·
Registered
580 Posts
"The first letter (of the paint code E, F, G...) identifies the model series in which a particular color was first used. For instance, a code beginning with F indicates a color introduced in the 1970 model year, and G indicates a color first used in 1971." (ed. E would therefore be first used in 1969.) "The second character of the code indicates the base color group such as T for tan, E for red, X for black, or B for blue. The code Y may be used for either yellow or gold color groups. The third character is a number that identifies the specific color."

(see book Collector's Originality Guide, Challenger and Barracuda 1970 - 1974 by Jim Schild, c. 2010, page 10)

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
and the general rule for the old paint codes - last digit:

The lower the number the lighter the shade:
[i.e., Top Banana =FY1, Hemi Orange =EV2 Panther Pink =FM3]

higher number is darker:
[i.e., Plum Crazy =FC7,Ivy Green =EF8, Black = TX9]

Another example...Sublime Green FJ5 / Sassy Grass Green FJ6

Super Blue TB3 / Bright Blue Metallic EB5

·
Registered
580 Posts
and the general rule for the old paint codes - last digit:

The lower the number the lighter the shade:
[i.e., Top Banana =FY1, Hemi Orange =EV2 Panther Pink =FM3]

higher number is darker:
[i.e., Plum Crazy =FC7,Ivy Green =EF8, Black = TX9]

Another example...Sublime Green FJ5 / Sassy Grass Green FJ6

Super Blue TB3 / Bright Blue Metallic EB5

I had no idea the number had a meaning like this. I learned something new. Very cool. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
My Torred looks orange in some pix I took in the sun, closeups really look orange..just saying...carry on:browsmiley:
but you put Hemi Orange next to it...very different colors.

Digital cameras are bad about color resolution, unless you make color temperature corrections. Frequently Hemi Orange turns red w/o color temp correction.

My other car (the 'Benz) is pretty much spot on for Torred (modern color) - I'll post a picture I shot of the two in my garage...you can tell they're different colors, but the camera makes the two look (more) similar. With your own eyes you can see much more of a difference.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts